21' SE

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshuac1980

Reaction score
New to the forum. I've been looking at the 21' SE and figured you all might have a quick answer. Has the hull design changed from the early 2000s to say the mid-teens (2015-2017). I've been trying to decide if I want an older project boat or go with a newer one. I do like the stern seating in the newer models.

JMO, but an early 2000s boat is potentially due for a tank, so make sure it is priced accordingly. The stern seating with the thing in the middle is optional, I believe. It may be more family friendly, but whichever provides better bilge access would be for me. I like the console on the 21 better. The 23 sort of wastes the space under the front-of-console seat, but with the 21 you get a cooler there, I believe.
Only you can determine where you fit on the "spare time vs money" scale.
Good luck in your search!

JMO, but an early 2000s boat is potentially due for a tank, so make sure it is priced accordingly. The stern seating with the thing in the middle is optional, I believe. It may be more family friendly, but whichever provides better bilge access would be for me. I like the console on the 21 better. The 23 sort of wastes the space under the front-of-console seat, but with the 21 you get a cooler there, I believe.
Only you can determine where you fit on the "spare time vs money" scale.
Good luck in your search!
What is the ballpark cost for a tank replacement?

No experience, but it would depend on the work involved. IOW, the tanks themselves go for x dollars per gallon, so you can calculate that. A boat with a T-top would be more than a straight CC, and a pilothouse would probably be cheaper since you only cut the floor and don't have to derig a console.
Say 4-8k. So if you bought one without a T-Top, it would be a perfect time to do a rewire with new pumps etc, and have a new boat for an extra 15-20k if you added a TTopp, nice transducers and electronics.

Adding to what Bodick said. Tank cost's have went Crazy. Called my buddy that builds them and he said $18 - $20 gal now. It used to be $12-$13 before Bidenisum.

On a CC Your getting into wiring. But wait, You Only want a new tank. Yes, but console has to be moved and wiring and control cables restrict from doing that. So Mores hours are spent dealing with the wiring.

I have a 2001 21Se, and yesterday at the ramp I saw another 21 SE and for some reason it look like it was on steroids. It appeared to sit higher out of water and that the gunwales were 6” higher than mine. The chap said his was a 2013. I don’t know if Parker had changed the design over the years. I thought the boat was gonna be a 23 DV but badging was 21SE.

Rosky, I have a 2012 2520dv and its a bunch bigger than the old model dv's. About the only thing that's the same is the bottom of the hull. As you mentioned on your 21 , the free board is at least 6 " taller on mine than the older models I used to fish on . I like most of the changes on mine , but I dont like the additional ~ 1500 lbs that was a result of those changes. That weight equates to about 5-7 mph slower planing on the old model , which imo is why so many people complain about the ride now. Having to go 5-7 mph faster to stay on plane in snotty seas will beat the crap out of you and the boat . Moral of the story is, you may be better off with yours than the steroid model .

The 21SE hull had a significant re-design around 2011-2012.

The old 21SE hull was a 'traditional' hull where the keel ran all the way back to the transom.

The new 21SE hull has a step up in bottom of the back of the hull. This is presumably so that the engine can be mounted higher to reduce total draft. But, my Dad's 2019 21SE with the new hull design si very sensitive to transom weight. With the batteries in the rear of the bilge, he has to run it with the motor trimmed in pretty far to keep the bow down and prevent proposing. Even with the trim tabs all the way down, it still porpoises with the engine trimmed level while on plane.

They also raised the bow by about 6” on the newer model, which does a good job of keeping you drier, but it added a couple hundred pounds of weight, which as previously mentioned makes the new hull extremely slow to plane with a 150 horsepower compared to the older hull.

Unless the shallowest draft possible is what you need, I would get the old style hull. I think it runs much better. Photos attached for a visual comparison.

Attachments

• OLD 21SE hull.JPG
    OLD 21SE hull.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • new 21SE hull.jpeg
    new 21SE hull.jpeg
    430.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thank you for the info, I liked the looks of the newer, and have kicked about the idea of when it’s time to just buy a newer 21 SE, and avoid the dreaded tank replacement. But I love everything about my boat, the ride the setup, and the open bow. I fish off it commercially and it does everything I ask of it

Old and good, new and questionable. Classic over thinking, same as the 2520dv. I thought mine was very sensitive to stern weight also, turns out it just is kinda a over weight pig compared to the older model. Makes me wonder about the weight difference on the old / new 21's

Latest posts

Back