2120 Cracks at Transom

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budpat1

Reaction score
Hi,
I have found a fantastic 2008 2120, it is my first Parker and am ready to close the deal. Upon inspection I noticed some cracks on the transom where it meets the scupper deck. Has anyone seen this issue before or cause for any concern?
Thanks
Budpat1

Attachments

• IMG_2422.PNG
    IMG_2422.PNG
    222.7 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_2421.PNG
    IMG_2421.PNG
    215.5 KB · Views: 665
  • IMG_2420.PNG
    IMG_2420.PNG
    283.6 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_2419.PNG
    IMG_2419.PNG
    276.9 KB · Views: 655
I’m far from an expert but I would be concerned. I would have a survey conducted before you purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gel coat is more brittle than the fiberglass below it.
When you have sharp corners like that, flexing can cause cracks to develop.

Have it looked at, but remember that if the core is not exposed, those cracks become superficial.

I had a 2120 that I ran hard for 8 years and didn't have any stress cracks. I agree some look like they run deep but hard to tell in a photo. If they didn't get into the wood transom it could be repaired easily.

I had a 2801 with the same cracks at the same location. I dug deeper and found them to just be gelcoat cracks. The gelcoat was applied too heavily at that corner junction.

I agree with the thick gelcoat being brittle and cracking. Put a moisture meter on it. If ok reef it out and put a smooth fillet of thickened epoxy over them and touch-up for color.

I have the same cracks. It’s only in the gel coat which was very brittle and cracks and chipped out.

It looks BIGGER that just a gellcoat stress crack, but I'm sure it started that way.....Use it as a negotiator on the price....Then fix them..... I'd use a $1000

I may be disoriented but it looks like that is where the sole and stringers join the transom
those are not stress cracks if that is the case Have someone who understands look at it
percussion sound a very good idea at a minimum. that area of the boat is plywood covered with fiberglas usually on one side only
when water intrudes the plywood rots and loses strength
that is the compression side of the transom where the engine mount PUSHES in the top of the transom is the tension side where the top of the engine PULLS back those cracks should not be there
The gelcote crazing mentioned is common in molds in the deep parts when too much gel coat is applied the gel coat shrinks gets brittle and cracks very different for external gel coat that was sprayed on after construction

other possibility is manufacturer error when the chop was not thick enough when that area was laid up. possible but not as probable given Parkers skill and time in service

The load and reaction cycle on the transom is not in one direction. Therefore the compression and tension faces flip. The neutral axis also migrates within the transom if the transom vertical section is not consistent from top to bottom in layup or thickness( depth). The boat is probably trailered and it’s also runs in reverse. The are initially brittle gel coat cracks from flex, then can expand and let water into the transom. It’s best to miter it out and layup some glass and new gel coat to resist the forces and keep water out.

The load and reaction cycle on the transom is not in one direction. Therefore the compression and tension faces flip. The neutral axis also migrates within the transom if the transom vertical section is not consistent from top to bottom in layup or thickness( depth). The boat is probably trailered and it’s also runs in reverse. The are initially brittle gel coat cracks from flex, then can expand and let water into the transom. It’s best to miter it out and layup some glass and new gel coat to resist the forces and keep water out.
How would trailering affect the cracks?

The engine bounces up and down with road bumps. The load on the transom increases with the bumps. There are devices called transom savers. The road makes the entire boat flex and vibrate and the gel coat is the first element to crack.

^^^ that.
With motor mounted on the transom, there are "transom saver" devices - poles/braces - available that support the lower unit against the trailer's cross member.

With an armstrong bracket in newer Parkers that is not possible; the only option is a support device that saves the trim but does nothing to alleviate trailering pressures off of the transom:
1629775333556.png

There is not much difference in the load on the transom or bracket coming from the motor when trailering or running in a sea. When you trailer the boat, yes you can see the motor bouncing, but when running you can't notice it because you have no stationary reference and of course the motor is running.
But regarding those cracks, I would say there is water in that transom wood, until proven otherwise.

^^^ that.
With motor mounted on the transom, there are "transom saver" devices - poles/braces - available that support the lower unit against the trailer's cross member.

With an armstrong bracket in newer Parkers that is not possible; the only option is a support device that saves the trim but does nothing to alleviate trailering pressures off of the transom:
View attachment 30417
hard to believe but I saw a Parker go by on the Delaware below the Philly Airport with an outboard cutout and an inboard engine

I have some pretty similar cracks on my 04 parker21se. Luckily I'm a marine mechanic by career.....but this is out of my field. I do have a really good gelcoat/glass guy I trust completely and am going to ask him how much it will cost to repair the areas properly, not half a$$. He's very reputable and I've had him fix easily over 100 boats from the factory in the last 3 years. I dont believe i need the whole transom repaired unless its required (I don't have parkers prints of the boat). The only thing I'll need on top of some money is gelcoat, im getting a quote when i get back from the keys. I wouldnt trust just filling since I plan on putting a larger motor on than my current 150. And yes, I use yamaha trailer bung when towing. I dont know where you located but if your anywhere near maryland I'd ask of he would inspect your boat and cost.

There is not much difference in the load on the transom or bracket coming from the motor when trailering or running in a sea. When you trailer the boat, yes you can see the motor bouncing, but when running you can't notice it because you have no stationary reference and of course the motor is running.
But regarding those cracks, I would say there is water in that transom wood, until proven otherwise.
I don't think so.

With boat in the water, if you step on my outboard platform and start jumping up and down the boat bounces and the bow pops up and down. Water cushions the pounding, up to a point. Not happening on the trailer.

--

I disagree. While in the water, on step the aft part of the boat is the most comfortable place. And the motor is in the down position. Way less stress on the bracket.

When you trailer there is no water cushion. Plus the outboard is trimmed in the up angle putting more lever arm on the bracket.

There have been a couple brackets that developed cracks in a short amount of time. That’s why the newer 2320 have more reinforcement (gussets, brackets) welded in.

I was lucky to have discovered the cracks while under warranty. BTW your hull warranty does not cover the bracket. This is a separate 3 year warranty that comes from Armstrong.

Back