2520 with 500 HP

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A-K

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m planning a upgrade in the next 2 years.

The parker website says the max HP for a 2520 is 500.

I’ve saw first hand a older 2520 in San Diego with twin 250s.

Online I saw a 2520 with twin 300s. This boat was highly custom.

The 2520 is only 800 pounds less then the 2820, but it’s basicly the same boat, just 3 feet shorter.

My question is has anyone tried to order a 2520 with max HP or 500 HP?

I’m an ocean fisherman and I like to load up heavy on the NW albacore fishery that’s why I ask.

The 2520 is only 800 pounds less then the 2820, but it’s basicly the same boat, just 3 feet shorter.

I’m an ocean fisherman and I like to load up heavy on the NW albacore fishery that’s why I ask.
Thats interesting. Most of the deep V 2520's in san diego ive been on/seen are twin 300s. That being said they are newer as in 2015 to present but the marina my boss has his boat in has a couple 2008 2520's with twin 300s

Thats interesting. Most of the deep V 2520's in san diego ive been on/seen are twin 300s. That being said they are newer as in 2015 to present but the marina my boss has his boat in has a couple 2008 2520's with twin 300s

We’re these 25s or 28s?

If they were 25s did they come from the factory powered with twin 250/300?

Really what I’m asking is will the factory rig a 2520 with max 500HP.

We’re these 25s or 28s?

If they were 25s did they come from the factory powered with twin 250/300?

Really what I’m asking is will the factory rig a 2520 with max 500HP.
The factory won’t go over the max rating for warranty and safety. That being said, when I specked out a new 2520 in 2018 twin 300s was an option. I’ll see if I still have the build sheet.

What year is yours?

The factory won’t go over the max rating for warranty and safety. That being said, when I specked out a new 2520 in 2018 twin 300s was an option. I’ll see if I still have the build sheet.

What year is yours?

I’m not following you here.

You just said they quoted you a hull with twin 300s? The MAX HP is 500 for the 2520. That would make your quote 100 HP over max. So if you have a build sheet from the factory for twin 300s I’d like to see that. Because you just contradicted yourself. I feel like we’re not talking about the same thing.

I’m not following you here.

You just said they quoted you a hull with twin 300s? The MAX HP is 500 for the 2520. That would make your quote 100 HP over max. So if you have a build sheet from the factory for twin 300s I’d like to see that. Because you just contradicted yourself. I feel like we’re not talking about the same thing.
What year is your boat? The 2520 I was standing on last has a sticker that says it is rated for max horsepower of 600

OK I see what you were saying now. I’m at a loss it looks like Parker even in 2023 is now back to 500 hp. Maybe there was a limited number of them that had twin 300 just like there used to be twin engine 2320 🤷🏻‍♂️ I know for 100% fact I specked one out from the factory that was rated for it and have been on two of them.

I just spoke with my marine mechanic buddy and he said he has seen a few that had 300s but whatever your boat is stickered for is what you need to go by as that’s what Coast Guard approved. Also he said it might get denied during insurance or if there’s some sort of an accident God forbid you could be in trouble for exceeding the horsepower rating for your boat.
That being said I would stick to twin F250s

I just spoke with my marine mechanic buddy and he said he has seen a few that had 300s but whatever your boat is stickered for is what you need to go by as that’s what Coast Guard approved. Also he said it might get denied during insurance or if there’s some sort of an accident God forbid you could be in trouble for exceeding the horsepower rating for your boat.
That being said I would stick to twin F250s

No offense but you're not really helping my thread here 😜 And you’re telling me things I already know.😁

Maybe just chill out a little. I get it you’re just trying to help. But you’re not.

After re-reading it three times if you’re referring to upgrade as an a brand new boat vs repower no you cannot get bigger than twin 200s at this time.

Engine options
outborad 1 х 300 л.с. Yamaha F300
outborad 2 х 150 л.с. Yamaha 150
outborad 2 х 200 л.с. Yamaha 200

Those are the current offerings from Parker. Depending on your dealer you could pay them to pull them off and upgrade the engines for additional fee. West Coast Marine offered 2520 with twin 250s a year or two ago. Just like cars, every model year they change options.

I ordered my 2520XLD in 2018. They only offered a single 300, twin 150s or twin 200s. I asked the dealer for twin 250s and they said the factory refused.

Reactions: A-K

If you’re ordering a new boat, I highly doubt you’ll get Parker to agree to put 250s on it.

If you’re repowering, sky’s the limit, although as @Blueghost93 said, if you exceed the approved HP you make the boat “inherently unseaworthy” and introduce massive amounts of liability if there’s an accident, and you may have issues with insurance.

Regardless, this is going to be a question for your dealer. Whatever might have been done in the past, especially if it was done by “old Parker”, is no guarantee that they’ll do it again.

That said, aside from the extra cost, pulling off the new 200s and installing 250s is probably your best bet if Parker says no. The rigging and mounting is exactly the same and should be plug and play, as long as you do your homework and get the same type of engines. I doubt you’ll get your Parker dealer to do it, as they won’t want to compromise their relationship with the manufacturer. But arranging with an independent shop to swap out new 200s for new 250s doesn’t seem like it would be that big of a stretch, provided they’re 0 hour engines that can be resold as new and they can get the new 250s.

The only 2520 I’ve seen with twin 300s was the one for sale for over a year. It had 2 bait tanks seakeeper furuno sonar. That boat was sexy! I figured it never sold because getting a loan or insurance was impossible because it was overpowered.

Not to stir the pot, but what about a single Mercury 600 :). Had to do it!

To the OP , twin 250’s on a wide heavy Parker 2520 is a excellent combination. The beam needs that power and so does the total weight and overall length. I fish one occasionally with twin 150’s and it’s not ideal. I also ran a Grady 28 for years with twin 250 tohatsu and it was perfect. The 2520 is near the weight and length of the Grady. The bottom line here is that weight and power need to be accommodated by the hull for self bailing and overall running balance. I suggest 250’s if the plate says 500 hp max.

The only 2520 I’ve seen with twin 300s was the one for sale for over a year. It had 2 bait tanks seakeeper furuno sonar. That boat was sexy! I figured it never sold because getting a loan or insurance was impossible because it was overpowered.

I saw that boat online and it looked bad to the bone.

I ordered my 2520XLD in 2018. They only offered a single 300, twin 150s or twin 200s. I asked the dealer for twin 250s and they said the factory refused.

That’s kind of what I thought the dealer would say.

But the Parker website clearly says 500 HP is the max for the hull. 🤷‍♂️ oh well.

FWIW, CG calc gives 400hp if I'm understanding this doc right:

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2002-title33-vol2/xml/CFR-2002-title33-vol2-sec183-53.xml
Unless they want to do the full throttle quick turn test procedure noted at the bottom...if so, sign me up! 😁

I believe the 200's are 2.8L and the 300's are 4.2L...my quick math was something like 80lb diff in weight, so that doesn't really seem like a deciding factor. I bet with modern 4 strokes that Coast Guard calc could use an update.

You guys keep talking hulls. Depending on the boat often times it’s the bracket if there is one that determines the max hp rating. I had a 2820. The bracket was rated for 500 hp max. A buddy had a new 28 and the bracket was rated for 600 hp. When I looked to repower i looked at changing the bracket to one rated for 600. Hulls were the same.

Back