2520XL W/Yamaha F225-Underpowered?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samurai

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a 2520XL someday and am seeing a lot of them with a single Yamaha F225.I have read from some other ownwers on this forum that it seems to be underpowered.I will be fishing the west coast and will mount a 65 gallon bait tank on deck with 2 to 6 passengers.Is this motor enough? what are the numbers on this boat with this motor?any info would be appreciated.Thanks John.

I have a 2004 2520XL with F225 and I'm happy with it. When I feel it might be slow out of the hole I work the trim tabs.

Cheerios

The 200 & 225 Yamaha 4 strokes don't make those hp ratings ! (over rater )
Go with a 250, which is making 268 hp (dyno tested I've been told )

Thanks for the info guys.Does anyone have any actual numbers such as cruise speed and top speed with this engine?

I have a 2003 2520XL with twin 200 HPDIs. I think a single 225 would be severely underpowered if you were loaded up with fuel, bait, ice and crew. it would probably be fine if with low fuel and 1 person. I can plane easily and run about 25kts on one motor.

This hull is rated for max 450hp

My boat is equipped as you asked about. Out of the hole, the boat is no speed demon and at times it takes a little planning to negotiate some situations when you'd like a little more punch. Once it's up and running- 30mph at 4800 with 3/4 fuel, ice, 3 crew, etc. everything's fine. Would I like more git-up-and-go? Yes. Will the 250 provide it? Maybe. Hole shot is not about horsepower, it's about torque. Unfortunately, that's a harder number to get out of the engine makers. Prop also determines much of the engine's performance, so if top end is your deisre or if you want to jump out of the hole, that's another question.

Devilfish,

What is the MPG at cruise (30 mph 4800?), and what is the top end?
Too bad there isn't some sort of hop up to gain a little H.P. out of that

I don't have a fuel monitoring system on board, but I can guess at MPG as around 2 based on my trips and re-fueling.

Top end is around 35-37 depending on sea state at about 5700.

Thanks Devilfish, I think I could live with those numbers if I find a good deal on a 2520XL with a 225.Most of the time you can't go over 30 mph anyways due to sea conditions, I can live with the out of the hole being slow, I do not plan on pulling any skiers.

I have a 2520SL with a Single F-250 (Yamaha). Similar to the 2520XL with cut transom.

Performance is as follows with a full fuel tank, tackle & 4 adults, calm seas & little wind-

Cruise @ 4100rpm - 25mph Burn 9-10 gallons per hour. (can cruise at lower speeds depending on conditions)

WOT - 5800rpms - 42mph (Not Sure Of Fuel Burn)

GET THE F250!

I am coming from much larger boats but in my own opinion this boat is powered perfectly. Some of the people here may be coming from bass boats or go-fast boats and would probably feel the boat is underpowered for their tasts. If I had the option of the new F-350 at the time of purchase knowing what I know now I wouldn't have opted for it. The extra weight verses power would not justify the extra initial cost and fuel consumption is worse. Economy was a large factor for me as I wanted maximum range capabillity.

NOTE OFF TOPIC- Many people in this forum complain of the trim tabs not been large enough and have even upgraded to larger ones. This must be specific to the 2520XL with full transom & bracket not the SL. On my SL they remain in the fully up position and are only used for keeping the bow down in vary rough seas. Quite frankly if the boat did not come with them I would not spend the money to add them. I plane the boat with the throttle and motor trim and it works excellent. I am glad I opted for the SL. I also like the easy access to the large fish through the transom and like the extra fishing room in the cockpit. Good Luck.

Devilfish":3nzrvm3j said:
I don't have a fuel monitoring system on board, but I can guess at MPG as around 2 based on my trips and re-fueling.

Top end is around 35-37 depending on sea state at about 5700.

those numbers are not much different than the f250.i have the f250 and it is close to the same a little more top end and better hole shot.at 4700 rpm i'm running 30 mph burning 15 to 16 gph depending on sea's.

Attachments

• tommy boat 2 004.JPG
    tommy boat 2 004.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,774
Here are some real-life figures for you.
1996 2520 MVSC with a 1997 Yamaha 225 OX66
(speed is in knots)

Image-E2ABE7705A5911DC.jpg

Image-0B01799959B911DC.jpg

Image-5EE428807AB611DC.jpg

Mega, your compass looks to be about 6 degrees off! :shock: :roll: :D

Thanks for all the info,I would really prefer the F250, but if I can't find a 2520XL with the F250 for the right price I might buy one with a F225.This web site is great!

Latest posts

Back