300 yam

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J V

Reaction score
Did yam come out with a 300 I am looking at a 2320 SC I think this would ge a great engine for this boat

Is the extra weight worth it Please let me know what yall think

Porkchunker":3s34j3p2 said:
Is it just a de-tunned F350, or a completely different motor?

Don't know for certain Dave, but it appears to be a de-tuned F350 and does not appear to be based on the F250 block.

J V":2ky0fmkk said:
Is the extra weight worth it Please let me know what yall think

IMHO... no. I would personally rather have the F250 due to the weight factor.

I wish that parker would put a 300etec on this boat only 21ib more than the 250 507ib 300 528ib

Yamaha makes two 300 HP motors currently (unless they discontinued the SWS HPDI). Anyway, they make / made a 300 2 stroke HPDI, likely the worst motor Yamaha has ever produced and the F300/F350 which appear to run well.

The problems with the HPDI 250/300 are well documented, not sure if they were ever resolved, the Fours are running strong and long so I think Yami is banking heavily on four stroke technology.

So the other choice would be 300 or 350 Four stroke. Yamaha and many boat builders have invested heavily and are counting on this design to perform. F300 is a "detuned" F350. If you are woried about weight, go for more power. Makes sense, right ? If you want a big single engine go for the F350.

Speaking of weight, the 2520 DV hull can easily handle the weight, twin F150 are popular and weigh about the same as a F300 or F350.

The boat actually benefits from weight aft, such as improved running attitude and better drainage at rest, downside if you have notch is more water over the back, but not that bad and not nearly as bad as MANY other boats I've been on.

Don't be afraid of the weight, but do be aware. The boat was built to handle weight of twins from the get go so the big single is easily accomodated.

Now if you want more oommfff than F250 (which I own), consider twin F150, more top end, better ride, same economy , more weight (which is good, too a a point). On the other hand reliablility GAIN is marginal (F250 goes and goes and goes) and maintenance $ is increased nearly by factor of two.

Not sure what a single F350 is going for, likely a little less than twin F150, especially considering rigging, etc.

let us know how you make out ....

Megabyte":3v3si8zh said:
Porkchunker":3v3si8zh said:
Is it just a de-tunned F350, or a completely different motor?

Don't know for certain Dave, but it appears to be a de-tuned F350 and does not appear to be based on the F250 block.

The F300 is no relative to the F250. The F300 is a V8, F-250 is a V6. As stated more than likely just a detuned F350. What is the weight of the F300 compared to the F350? If they are the same I see no advantage of the F300 over a F250 other that the technology differences. The weight to power ratio is similar. The main advantage is as stated in the link (thanks Megabyte) "fills the gap for boats rated for 300HP & 600HP" I'll stick with the F250. If the motor cannot make up for its extra weight in power you are only going to gain higher fuel bills and a slightly smoother ride if more weight is needed aft (totally not the case with my Parker). Extra weight aft will make the boat more difficult to plane and burn more fuel to get there. I don't see the F300 replacing the twin F150 set up as most people choose twins for the reliability/safety factor not to get slightly better speed and double maintenance and costs.

The HP to weight ratio really stinks for that Yammie 300hp 4 stroke.

I'd switch to a Suzuki 4 stroke before going to the Yamaha.

If I repowered to a single, it would be the Zuke 300. It weighs in at 604 (short shaft) and 615 (long shaft). Right now my twin F-115s are 415 a piece, for a total of 830 lbs on the transom. Twin F-150s would add another 80 lbs per motor for over 900 lbs on the transom. A single Zuke 300 would probably be sweet.

http://www.suzukimarine.com/sr_08/df300/features/

Dave

aka

Dave... A lot of folks I know are disappointed in the weight of the 300 Yamaha V8 and are considering the 300 Zuke.

BOE Marine has a 250 Zuke on their 23 Black Lab Supertop and it makes that boat fly! I can only imagine what the 300 would do. :shock:

As I tried to point out, if you don't like the HP to Weight ratio of the F300 you should go to the F350. You'll still own a Yamaha. 8)

The weight is no more than twin F150s which the boat handles very comfortably.

IF you are a Suzuki fan, yes, their 300 might be a better choice than a Yamaha 300. Personally, in my neck of the woods, I wouldn't go there.
Large single, F350.

If you like Zuke, have a reputable dealer nearby, 300 could be a nice choice.

I still don't think anyone posted numbers for a 300 Zuke on a 25 DV ?
How abou it ??

I hope to have some numbers on the 300 Zuke by the end of the week. I will post them asap.

I checked on the F350 for my 2520DV notch and Parker engineers advised against it. Too much torque in one spot. The F250 is the best Yamaha option for me but I really want more power without the extra weight. The Suzuki DF300 seems to be the best choice for me.

verado300lt7.jpg

Back