500 hp on a 25' DV

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhendric

Reaction score
Guys, I can see the max hp on the 2501 CCs is rated at 500hp. My 1996 is pretty much identical to the new ones. AS I look to repower in the near future I am curious. In the E Tech line of engines, once you make the jump to 200HO the weight is the same all the way up to the 250hp model...so why not put a couple of 250s back there.

Wondering if anyone has 500hp now...my boat goes 52mph on the GPS with the old 200 hp SS2s I have now...not entirly sure 500 is really safe??

jhendric":3culnqud said:
In the E Tech line of engines ... why not put a couple of 250s back there.

...not entirly sure 500 is really safe??
Safe? Probably?

Wise? No way! I was considering buying a single E-Tec 25-hp for my old 'big girl' and an owner of an E-Tec powered Parker talked me out of it. The oil cost alone would have been > $800 per season. And that was just for 1 motor.

Now. if performance vs. OB weight was truly my #1 motivator, than I can see the desire and application for a single E-Tec, as many Boston Whaler owners are finding out.

IMHO Parkers aren't speed boats and shouldn't be driven that fast. If you need the speed, you should be spending your $$ on a Regulator, Contender, or other offshore stepped/performance hull. Sorry ... :oops:

Or ..wait for the new Bombardier 4-strokes coming out this August!

yeah, I hear you. Truthfully I never have the opportunity to open up the engines I have now! Maybe for a mile or so after I'm back in the intracoastal. Still, makes you think...

Yeah, just think RISING fuel & oil costs - doh :shock: !

Hey Dale, you piqued my curiosity. Why $800 in oil cost for a season? That's about 20 gallons of oil for an average season of 100 hours of usage. You think these guys burn a gallon of oil every five hours? That would be about 50 gallons of fuel at running speed over the same time, for a 50/1 ratio of fuel to oil. Is that right?

Dave

I was curious about the same thing...I just assumed Dale burns 1000 gallons of gas a year....I'm lucky to burn 600...with old 2 strokes...

One year I burned 1300 gals in fuel ... divided by 50 = 26 gallons ... and I was using $12 to $18 per gallon oil, which = $312 or $468 per season.

But XD oil for direct injected OBs is min $40 per gallon and that alone would have been $1040 in oil ...

Don't the E-Tecs use XD100 oil?
That would be 100:1 right?
100 gals of fuel per 1 gallon of oil?

I think our OX66's are 50:1 and I pay $72.45 per case for Penzoil full synthetic.
Of course... a 'case' these days is 3 gallons. :roll:

Megabyte":wce9b77z said:
Don't the E-Tecs use XD100 oil?
That would be 100:1 right?
100 gals of fuel per 1 gallon of oil?

I think our OX66's are 50:1 and I pay $72.45 per case for Penzoil full synthetic.
Of course... a 'case' these days is 3 gallons. :roll:
There's 2 versions of XD oil ... 50:1 or 100:1 ... it will burn more than 100:1 in use when programmed as such, as it is throttle dependant, but still a savings over the 50:1 oil.

I have twin Yamaha 250hpdi's on my 2520. Not a DV. The previous owner got a "deal" on a set of new motors sitting in crates for a couple years. That said I would say it is definitely not neccessary as the boat will go 50-53mph. I only occasion let her have it on glass water for 5 minutes or so. Most of my bay cruising is 30 knots on nice days. I plan to add dual fuel economy gauges soon to see the sweet spot. I like duals but EVERYTHING is double the $$$$. Plugs, fuel filters, on , and on.

I get 40mph out of a single 225hp ... and in seas, forget it ...

Dual OBs get the nod for redundancy (less fuel issues :shock: ! ) - that's it. But, 2 are more efficient in mpg too.

Man, if you are only getting 52 mph with 500 you may need to check your props....I can go 50 with 400. True 50 on gps. Again, I rarely have an opportunity to do that except in the ICW coming back in.

There's 2 versions of XD oil ... 50:1 or 100:1 ... it will burn more than 100:1 in use when programmed as such, as it is throttle dependant, but still a savings over the 50:1 oil.

A friend of mine Artie Surtherland has been running E-tecs for a while.

2- 200 HO
then
2- 200 small blocks due to weight issues
then switched boats to a 29 SeaVee and repowered with 2-250's.

All were programed for 100-1. He said in reality they averaged 85-1. I think you could pretty much take that to the bank with his experience of different motors.

That being the case, my OX66 is probably burning something less than 50:1

I never have tried to figure out the oil burn.
I just know that every time I fill up the boat, I also top off the oil tank.

My cost per gallon is higher because I run full synthetic in my motor, but I like the cleaner burn, so it is worth the extra cost to me.

I have a 2510 with twin 200 Yami I could not ask for better performance from this boat. I had the dealer upgrade to 200 from 150. I am so happy! I could not ask for any better performance. I can hit 54 GPS with 3 or 4 guys going fishing but why? In my opinion the hull is not designed for it. Not the sweet spot.

Back