A question for Dale

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellofin

Reaction score
when using Barkeepers Friend as a all purpose cleaner do you mix it with water or do you wet the deck and sprinkle on

I just use a damp rag, but I do keep a bucket of water handy, as then I flush off the area with it. I think it'll work on your stain. It is not supposed to be abrasive!

"It's not supposed to be abrasive"

yeah, I know that's all I have ever heard. Just to check, I tried it on a small area of my bright aluminum deckplate tool box (standard equipment on a Southerner's truck :D )

Guess what, Barkeepers Friend is no friend of mine, scratched heck out of it.

Anyone know a good attorney? :D

You gotta deck stain in a Parker. Get some SoftScrub gel w/bleach. Way better.

FishFactory":rh9qauza said:
"It's not supposed to be abrasive"

Just to check, I tried it on a small area of my bright aluminum deckplate tool box ... Guess what, Barkeepers Friend is no friend of mine, scratched heck out of it.
Ahhhhh grasshopper, the thing is, you DO NOT and SHOULD NOT ever 'scrub' the stain when using Bar Keepers Friend (BKF). Also, the pad you may have used could have done the scratching.

I use a damp cloth and may work it in 'lightly' just to form a paste on the stain or area to be cleaned, but I let the chemical do the work - not the cloth and definitely not me. ANY mechanical action, specially in a circular motion, can scratch that toolbox. I bet I could do that with just a tissue ;) .

Read all about cleaning with BKF here: http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/Cleaning.html . Your experience notwithstanding, it is still my #1 cleaner at home and on the boat - as IT does the work - not me. Heck, I'm lazy - and it's thus the perfect cleaner - apply it - let it sit - and then just rinse it off :D !

Sorry FF, sounds like 'you' did the damage, not BKF, therefore your case is summarily dismissed with prejudice for being groundless ;) .

No scrub pad here, washcloth (wet), lightly rubbed. Put a little on your tongue, same "grit factor" as Comet Cleanser. No wonder it removes rust, so does sandpaper.

Don't know why you are so defensive over BoatKeepers Enemy. You sure it's not an old OMC product? :D

Forget the attorney. We have ways to take care of rip-offs here in the South. Remember Deliverence? Let me ram some BoatKeepers Enemy in here, big boy! :lol:

You put it on your tongue?

"Dunna dun dun dunhhhn duhn dun daaah" ... no wonder y'all got a pretty mouth!

Try "StarBrite NON-SKID Deck Cleaner w/PTEF". This is the most effective cleaner I've ever used.

Follow the manufactures directions.

Excellent posts!

I tried soft scrub with bleach over the weekend... It worked for most things but I still have some dark stuff from shoes.

The marina I'm in has allot of pavement.. and whenever people hop in and off... I get the grime!!

I'm going to now move on to....Bar Keeper.. then star brite non skid.. then 3m non skid cleaner (in that order)... Something has got to work!!!

You guys are great!
wp...

Ohhhh man....When you two (FF & Dale) go at it, the fun is in the reading! :lol: I've tried the Soft Scrub with bleach route - Nope - too many applications needed....Now I'll try the "Lazy Yankee" approach.....Barkeepers Friend......

Dale hasn't steered me wrong yet and never threatened to sue me either :shock:

Don't yall quit arguing - now ya heah....Gives the rest of us fodder for gray matter stimulation :wink:

The parker website recomends the use of Comet on the non-skid surface,I have tried it with bleach and it works,just work it in,let it sit so the bleach works,also tried Ajax with bleach non scratching,this works well too,the trick is to let it sit for a while.

Robert

Arguing? Were we arguing? I know I am pretty darn biased and opinionated at times, but I do love an intellectual debate as much as anyone. More importantly, even if I differ with someone, I'll still respect them and their right to their opinion and even 'agree to disagree' :) !

DaleH

No I do not think we were arguing,I think BarKeepers is a very good product and works well to remove stains,I just mentioned the Comet and Ajax because for $0.97 cents you can get a whole can of the Ajax with bleach at H depot and that is very cheap,it will work as I have used it since day one.

Keep up the great work as I have learned a whole lot from this site and I read it every single day to see if I can learn more about boat projects and upkeep.

Robert Cibran

Me thinks it was meant that Fishfactory and I were having a ..... err, difference of opinion. Which is OK. That's how we learn ;) !

I'll throw my 2 cents in here. I've used just about everything and they all seem to work pretty good if you use enough elbow grease. I will say this though, I tried out a guy who does boat detailing this year pre-season just to save some time and see if it makes a big difference. He's been detailing for 20 years and claims nothing works as good as good old Comet with bleach. I use it now sparingly also and make sure a good rinse is envolved. I've also seen auto-body guys use it a a wet sand between coats... 8) :wink: :roll:

I've never tried it on the boat, but BonAmi might be a good choice for some boat related cleaning jobs.
The product has been around since 1886 and it's logo says "Hasn't scratched yet".

http://www.bonami.com/

Hi, Guys !

There were a series of posts from December last about Barkeeps Friend...including Dale's usual, great advice 8) .

Here's what I did/do...do/did :lol: .

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:41 pm Post subject:
Principal Reeler

Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:45 pm Post subject: Barkeepers' Friend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys,

The original "glass-top ceramic" electric ranges put out 30 years ago recommended BKF. It was and is great for getting burned crud off the smooth ceramic surface.

Trust me, the way I cook as a bachelor, BKF has come in REAL handy . I still have the original stove thanks to it. Now the oven is another matter altogether !!

I've used it on fiberglass too.....just be sure to dilute it with water to a VERY loose and liquidy paste...almost a somewhat soupy...until you get the consistency that you need fot the task at hand. IT WILL WORK WONDERS.

BUT REMEMBER, it has acid and is an abrasive.

Good luck,

Mac

Hi all..

OK - I went out to Ace Hardware today and found myself the BKF...

Took a damp rag and sprinkled some BKF to it.. Rubbed it in so that it just sat pasty on the rag.....

Amazing.. Took the stains right out... I had some really stubborn stains on the hull from the previous owner leaving it in the water for so long. My only problem now is that the stained area is now much brighter than the rest of the hull......

I'm still not comfortable with using it to much.. .that abrasiveness is scarry. I have to get a handle for how much to apply and how..... so that I can eliminate any rubbing of the hull....

ANyways .. pretty amazing stuff.
Thanks for pointing me to it!
wp.

Back