Adding a baitwell. Question from a different perspective

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangerdog

Reaction score
My retirement day is July 2 and I make my final move to IOP on July 3. 30+ years as an Army civilian seems to have flown by...but now I fish!

I need to add a baitwell. Not a problem. There are basically two different types: 1) The kind thet hooks up to my through hull and maintains by bailing the water from the top via a hose and 2) A bubbler/water circulator that is self contained. The first is not really "portable", but could be. The second is portable full up. In Charleston I really am going to need a baitwell. I can build either. I will also run a third battery just for this purpose (I have a spare Blue AGM)

Which do y'all prefer? Pros and cons? I am looking in the 20 Gallon range that can double as a bait station/extra seat.

Thanks guys,

John

I am too at this point. I don't really want to add the baitwell/ seat just yet. It's the added cost, permanent mount etc. In the meantime I've set up a portable 30 gallon livewell with aerator that runs off of a 12 volt battery. Works well for what I need. When I don't need it I take it out, or move it as I see fit. When changing water, I put wash down hose in it, water runs over and goes out of scupper.

I made a simple one out of a 20 gal trash can with an aerator made from ahose zip tied around the top. Maybe search for this on tidalfish.com the Chesapeake board. It had an overflow hose and bottom drain. very easy and portable. I didnt have a baitwell pump on that boat I just screwed the raw water washdown hose on the aerator hose and turned it on every 15ish min for a min or 2. Never killed a spot that way.. It was nice because it was light and portable and didnt take any boat mods. My new Parker has a really nice removable one on the outboard bracket and it has a baitwell pump

Cannot help with the baitwell, but as a 27 year DAC who retired on 31July2010... Congratulations !!! :D

I will also be relocating within the next 6 months (and taking the Megabyte with me), so fishing new areas will be kind of fun. :wink:

Megabyte":3d40c0e4 said:
Cannot help with the baitwell, but as a 27 year DAC who retired on 31July2010... Congratulations !!! :D

I will also be relocating within the next 6 months (and taking the Megabyte with me), so fishing new areas will be kind of fun. :wink:

I hear you, Kevin. I grew up in Charleston and Hampton (Navy Brat) and I can't wait to get back to in shore, etc!

Now Bubbler or Flow Through?

rangerdog":35t7091t said:
Now Bubbler or Flow Through?

If it were me, I would opt for a constant flow.
Less chance of ammonia build-up.

Here is my live well. It's a 43 gallon thru plumbed oval above deck hand made from Tommy at Hammerhead boat works, Tampa, Fl. I can still fish four guys on my 2120 no problem. Space is not a limiting factor. I have removed my splash well guard and that opened up the cockpit considerably.

My bait tank is a 36 gallon that is fed from the bottom and can overflow either in the middle or near the top. I use the middle if I am carrying a smaller amount of bait. As the poster above said, it still leaves plenty of room to fish around. We typically use either sardines or anchovies, sometimes small mackerel. I have no problem keeping bait alive for a couple of days. Supposedly, mine can handle two scoops of bait but it works better with a scoop or scoop and a half.

P6070075_zpsmubrejvb.jpg

Riding High":25d0s9xl said:
My bait tank is a 36 gallon that is fed from the bottom and can overflow either in the middle or near the top. I use the middle if I am carrying a smaller amount of bait. As the poster above said, it still leaves plenty of room to fish around. We typically use either sardines or anchovies, sometimes small mackerel. I have no problem keeping bait alive for a couple of days. Supposedly, mine can handle two scoops of bait but it works better with a scoop or scoop and a half.

P6070075_zpsmubrejvb.jpg
Do not have any Picts but I took my factory live well off for cockpit reasons I've gotten a live well through craigslist as for the pump if u have a saltwater wash down u can add the live well pump to the top of it and I ran a line thru the bottom of the transom out of the rear space between the floor for easy access and easy removal,then ran the overflow out through the scupper.My only other thing I would do is get a good live well pump don't be cheap.

Do not have any Picts but I took my factory live well off for cockpit reasons I've gotten a live well through craigslist as for the pump if u have a saltwater wash down u can add the live well pump to the top of it and I ran a line thru the bottom of the transom out of the rear space between the floor for easy access and easy removal,then ran the overflow out through the scupper.My only other thing I would do is get a good live well pump don't be cheap.

2) A bubbler/water circulator that is self contained.

You would never keep bait alive or healthy very long down here. The temp of the water would get to great and your not flushing the fish waste /secretions out of the tank.

Back