An Observation

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pig Pen

Reaction score
This is about Yamaha Outboards everything I've read here states "flush the engine with freshwater after each use". That being said I just returned for a week in Belize chasing permit. The lodge where we stayed all used Yamaha four strokes, not once did I see any of the guides flush the engines. I'm curious is it because they are used on a daily basis ??? Just curious on some of your thoughts??

:roll:

Those motors probably get changed out every two years, the owners probably dont care about em.
The fresh water flush is very important IMHO

miky2884":mzuxlh22 said:
Granted I boat on a saltwater tidal estuary, but I've yet to flush an OB once. My bros and I run 11 to 13 OBs or more each season and we've probably have had 30 or more through our lives ... and my older bro's 1987 150hp 2-stokers are still running and have never been flushed.

However, a full water pump, LU, an t-stat service is done every 2-3 seasons, hours dependent.

miky2884":3hu1404a said:
Those motors probably get changed out every two years, the owners probably dont care about em.
If you could see how these people lived in Punta Gourda I don't think changing them out every 2 years is an option...as Dennis told us ...they are 3 years behind us for getting the newer outboards

I have a 2003 F225 with over 1100 hours and it has never been flushed. It is however serviced on a regular schedule. I have no problems, engine operates fine.

When you say "serviced regularly", what do you mean? To what extent--broken apart, etc??I have read about internal corrosion and problems getting them apart because of corrosion, and recycled aluminum use. If the foot, etc. are taking apart every year that would mitigate problem of corrosion preventing being taken apart. That is the jest of my question. Thanks

I just dont see why if you have the resource to give the motor a fresh water flush why you wouldn't take advantage of it. I know one thing it sure cant hurt, and id rather not have salt water sitting in the internal parts of my motor if I could help it.Thats the first thing I do when I come in while the motor is still hot I give it a flush for about 5 minutes. Again just my opinion.

miky2884":2o0tatkc said:
I just dont see why if you have the resource to give the motor a fresh water flush why you wouldn't take advantage of it.
Studies and tests by the military have shown that FW flushing on typical potable water pressures, e.g., your house hose outlet, doesn't do anything. Look up the MST Guardian flushing system that the military installed on all of their service OBs. MST is now apparently out of business, but you can read about their system here (http://www.merdocmarine-antigua.com/archives/mst.htm), as they used on-board pressure injectors to triple the pressure of the water flushing through the motor.

If one were to flush, I'd say DO NOT run the motor, as MST testing proved that 90% of water pump impeller damage occurs during engine flushing. Again, because there is just simply not enough water pressure available from a city/municipal water system to adequately supply a modern high performance marine waterpump.

IMHO the Yamaha statement to "flush the motor after every use" only serves to protect Yamaha's interest in case of MORE lawsuits filed in the event that more of their crappy aluminum alloy is used .. and fails, i.e., example their recent failing and corroding exhaust housings.

But as with anything ... your mileage may vary. If you have the time to flush (again, I would NOT run the motor) then sure - have at it! At best, maybe it helps your motor (specially if a Yamaha) and at worst, you only lose 10-15 minutes of your life each time.

I dont flush the motor by running it I use the flush port provided by Yamaha, my thoughts are that it is there for a reason

miky2884":uffb5llu said:
I dont flush the motor by running it I use the flush port provided by Yamaha, my thoughts are that it is there for a reason

couldn't agree more... :!:

miky2884":7n3kumo8 said:

I do the same.
Once a week she gets a 'two-beer' flush. Twice a season she gets a SaltAway treatment.

The previous owner of my boat never flushed the motor.
After I bought it, I was having overheating issues and took it to the dealer for service.
After that service, I continued to have issues, so I took it back to the dealer.

They took the motor apart and found it was "all salted up" and they had to dig salt out of the cooling passages to clean her out.
No issues since then with regular flushing and an occasional SaltAway treatment.
It's working for me, so I'm sticking with it.

I flush and also put the seat down :lol: It is interesting how the temperature of the fresh water flush discharge decreases over a few minutes. Cooling off the block as well as getting the salt water out is good e'nuf reason for me. It so easy, why not.
I have started to remove the little puddle of sea water in my live well pump too so the impeller doesn't sit in salt water all week at the dock.

I try to flush my 115 V4 with the flush port every trip, but from November 1-April 1 when the water is turned off it doesn't happen. She doesn't get washed during that time either.

Is the salt-away like a seafoam decarb for the cooling system? I should look into that...

I never flushed my Yamaha 9.9hp kicker, and it got clogged up recently. I had to remove the exhaust plate and clean it out.

Runs great now, but I will flush at least once a year for a few hours. Maybe throw some vinegar in the tub.

Back