Anyone here have an Automatic Identification System (AIS)?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megabyte

Reaction score
I have been looking at possibly installing a Class B Automatic Identification System (AIS) on the Megabyte.
Commercial traffic in my area is heavy and I'm thinking that if I had the AIS data fed to my chartplotter, I could 'see' other AIS equipped vessels, and they in turn could see me.

Milltech Marine ( http://www.milltechmarine.com/index.html ) has a lot of info on their site, and it appears that a complete Class B transponder/receiver can be had for about $419 with a $50 rebate on top of that (until Sept 30th).

I need to find out from Jim at BOE Marine if my present Garmin 2010 can accept the NMEA information from the AIS device, and display that information on my chartplotter.

I'm still researching this item and it intrests me, so I thought I'd see if any other ClassicParker members were using an AIS. Using the experience of others could help me decide if this is something I want to add to my helm. :)

Any information would be appreciated.

Kev:

I don't, but toona guys I know who run out of Woods Hole area of SW Mass do use them, as that is a VERY busy commercial and publice port, with ferry service to the islands, Martha's Vineyard, Block Island, Nantucket, the Elizabeths, etc..

Want me ask them?

A few of the commercial boats we work on have them. Its nice to just glance at the radar, and know which vessel is at anchor, and which one is a LNG headed into Boston at 15kt. They can be had for much less if you get an older model, especially Raytheon systems.

I think I posted this before but here is my AIS tracking system that easily covers our part of the Bay. I have a new SR161 Milltech receiver to upgrade what is currently in place at Betterton. I hope it will improve coverage especially thru the canal. It should be operational shortly.
http://www.belcak.com/aislive/index2.html

When u install the transponder, your family as well as all us Classic Parker folks will be able to watch ur activities.

I look forward to your progress report.

Steve

Steve,

We actually use your page to monitor ship traffic in the Bay off of APG. :)

I asked Jim Maier the question about my Garmin 2010, and here is his reply:

On Wednesday, July 22, 2009, at 02:36PM, "Jim Maier" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
Kevin, I don't think your 2010C will do AIS http://www.passagemaker.com/Magazineand ... efault.asp

Drat. I see that now.
"Passagemaker" huh? Reading that site makes me feel like a Nordhavn driver. :D

From that thread:

I phoned Garmin tech support this morning, and was told there is no way to display an AIS signal on a 2010 chartplotter. The earliest model on which this function is provided is the 2210.

According to Garmin my 2010C's will not process AIS data, so they're out of the picture.

Guess I need to wait awhile on AIS until I upgrade my chartplotter... which I'm not anticipating anytime soon because the 2010 is working fine for me. :wink:

Hopefully another CP member can make use of this info before I take the plunge.

FWIW, feedback from a few friends on another site:

OldMud - Dale,my feelings are this. "Big brother is watching" that real time AIS site i posted a while back [DH edit, see link below] is free to anyone in the WORLD. I always said "i have no secrets" but I'm sure i wouldn't want just anyone following me around in real time !! Just think of the possible ramifications of your Boss, Wife, X Wife, and / or your Girlfriend all knowing your whereabouts at all times !! Doctor, Workers comp. Lawyers, your neighbors, the guy down the street waiting to break into your house !!!! court system ETC, ETC. Nope to me. Ask me where i'm going and when, I'll tell you, i just won't tell the world.

Hey this would be nice on fishing boats, can you say "Spot burning"? Oh yeah i almost forgot. I do use that site when i'm doing an overnighter or foggy days. Tons of information there.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/defaul ... level0=100

Fissues - I have a Sitex A/B receiver only. Its really quite amazing at only 225.00. Shows all these big ass dangerous boats on your plotter along with alot more info than you would ever need to know about your targets. Size, name, hailing port, depth, destination, trade, speed, direction, Time to Collision and direct VHF MMSI to their bridge! If you click on the cursor it will give you two or three pages of info about the target. It shows up on the C/P as a boat shaped icon and you can, at a glance, tell if its pointed at you and if it's going to be a problem. A must have on my list.

Alberealtime - The ACR AIS class B is more expensive but it allows you to receive data while you are in RSM. (run silent mode) Big brother can't find you unless you shut off the RSM and transmit your data.

With so many other boats monitoring our conversations on VHF 65 it would be an easy way to pin point a hot location to other members without transmitting the location with a VHF broadcast. A simple broadcast of fish found over the radio and everyone turn the RSM mode off for a few minutes would be a nice way to do it. If the price around $700 ever came down it would be a nice option.

More feedback ...

RedTail - I have been using an AIS receiver (not transponder) for two seasons now. At the time I bought it, the Class B transponders were not yet available. It can be very helpful when there is large ship traffic present. The system will project the course and speed and determine the closest point of approach, which shows in a little box next to the target. On my Furuno system, the AIS targets overlay on the radar and the chartplotter, so it removes a bit of the lingering doubt you get about that "big red mark" on the radar.

I have also used it to help me contact ships when my own course and speed were not consistent (when trolling or with a fish on) to arrange a safe passing in fog. The AIS will give you the name of the ship so you know who to call. In my experience, the big ship captains really appreciated the call and sometimes would even volunteer to alter course a little to not interfere with my fishing.

The only caveat is that there are a number of categories of large vessels that are exempt from the mandate that anything over 65' have AIS. Most commercial fishing vessels do not have AIS. In our area, the Steamship Authority ferries also do not have AIS. So there are still plenty of big boats out there that will not show as AIS targets nor would they necessarily have receivers and see you if you had a transponder.

I think it is a very valuable safety aid, however, and having experience of the Chesapeake, your friend would do well to make the investment.

Back