Anyone here move from an 1801 to a 23 SE? What to expect?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wstandis

Reaction score
I currently have the 1801 and LOVE it. I am just out growing it. As my son gets older he wants to bring friends along and fishing more than 2 on the 1801 gets cramped. Even cruising on the 1801 can get a little tight when there are 3 adults on board.

I fish long island sound everywhere from Montauk to Maine. I take my 1801 to block island every year for a week of solid fishing. I also have a lake house in Maine with a very shallow boat ramp area – so the deep v is not realistic for me. While in Maine I am the ski/tube puller so I also appreciate the efficiency of the non-deep v hulls. I am not a speed demon and am quite used to running at slower speeds.

My question for you guys is what can I expect by moving from the 1801 to the 23se?

My 1801 does not have tabs and the 23 does – so I would expect an improvement right of the bat?
I also like the configuration of the 23se leaning post/seat. The 1801 seat/leaning post is pretty useless as sitting has no visibility and standing there is nothing to lean against.
I assume the extra 5 feet in length and 1 foot of with would smooth out the ride some – I understand that all boats get small when wet

General feedback? Will it be a similar ride or night and day?

A few years ago I went from an 18 Parker to a 21SE. Like night and day. The 21 is a huge step up in percieved size compared to the 18. My 18 did not have tabs but I found the motor trim enough to control the 18 but not so with 21SE. Tabs are a must!
My 18 and 21SE both came with pedestal chairs. I modified the pedestals to accomodate the chairs but I also found a used Parker leaning post and I made a bracket so I could use either the leaning post or chairs on the pedestals. The wife preferred the chairs so I would put them in when she was along. (There used to be a thread in the Projects section about this)
The 21 SE was a much more enjoyable boat for my family during those years.

Expect to enjoy that 23 SE. I just put close to 800 miles on my new one in Long Island Sound since July. I love it and I just came from 18 years owning a 2520 Parker PH. Let us know what you decide.

So after putting about 80 hours on my 2019 23SE here are my thoughts.

Overall Feedback
1. The hull and engine are just what i expected.
2. Not a deep v but handles whatever is thrown at it with varying degree of comfort.
3. 200 pushes the boat far better than i expected.
4. Gas mileage is a real plus.

Things that I think could have been done better.
5. My 1801 had more stringers under the gunwales, they may not be necessary on the 23SE - However my gunwales crack when I sit on them and it bothers me
6. My steering (at the wheel) feels very stiff and creaks.
7. I HATE the use of cheap stainless screws – they are already rusting.
8. The insert in the console is very cheap plastic and mine already broke.
9. The “glove box” is nowhere near water tight
10. They mount a fuse block in the back of the acrylic panel which needs to be relocated when installing electronics
11. The battery switch has been moved from inside the rear box to the outside and is covered by an incredibly flimsy switch cover – not waterproof.
12. There was a TON of debris (cut out fiberglass, chippings and saw dust) in my bilge.
13. One of my hoses (wash-down – thankfully) popped off while I was on the water
14. The kill switch is mounted in a terrible location and if worn gets tangled in the wheel.
15. Last, if I was being very nitpicky the pedestal is about 6” too far from the console. I’m a tall guy 6’6” and I can’t reach the wheel comfortably while sitting or leaning.

Overall I am happy with the boat. However, the quality does not seem as good as my 2012 1801.

Latest posts

Back