Autopilot install, any tips?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hard Core

Reaction score
I did a search, but couldn't find too much on this.

I'm putting in a Simrad AP16VF system on a Parker 2510 XLD, I am unsure of the best location to tee the hydraulic lines and mount the pump. It also appears I need to run a line to the back of the steering wheel unit to allow for expansion.

I know I can get at the lines from behind the console, but it's pretty congested in there with all the other electronic black boxes. I was also thinking I could tee the lines and mount the pump at the transom underneath the rear access hatch (could mount to the bulkhead there), but then I need to pull a hose all the way back to the wheel.

Any info or good ideas from folks who have done this would be very much appreciated!

Hard Core,
I've got the Simrad on my 2520XLD. If you can give me a day or two I can take some pics of my set-up. Randy.

Hi Randy,

Would love to see photos of your install, especially with regard to the pump and hydraulics. Not nagging, just expressing interest!

I won't get to this for a few weeks, so no rush.

Thanks!

Chris,
I don't think it's networked to anything. I didn't do the install so I could be wrong. The Netgear you see is for use with the Furuno stuff I believe. I'm usually pretty good with electronics but to honest I don't know much about how my boat stuff is wired up. I just know how to use it. Randy.

I installed an RM unit on my 2510 a few years ago. A great addition!

I put the tee valve right on the sea star steering pump and I put the rm pump in the space between the helm and hull (my 2510 has a chase down each side).

You can put the pump virtually anywhere - it doesn't have to be close to the steering station though that helps the res return line. Sea star sells a kit you can use that has all the fittings and low pressure hose. They also sell pre-made hydraulic lines.

It was actually a very simple install once I had all the pieces parts.

Since I have all RM gear, I have it all networked together - but that won't help you much..

Randy,

Those pics are very helpful to me, I really appreciate it! I like how it's just tee'd off the wheel pump itself. Seems like the best way to do it.

I did purchase the AP16VF03 kit, I have a shop locally that can custom make hydraulic lines, so I should be good to go. Will post pics after I complete it.

Yes, Furuno uses Netgear switches for the Ethernet (aka NavNet) connections between units and black boxes. They are safe at 12VDC nominal supply.

Cheers,
Barnes

Back