Awlgrip color match question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sydngoose

Reaction score
Hi fellas.

Does anyone know what Awlgrip color is closest to our classic parker original gel coat: 2002 Parker 2830 hull? I am re-doing the nonskid on the cockpit deck, washboards, trunk cabin and cabin, bow pulpit and I'd like to get as close to the original color of the gelcoat as possible. A tint or shade darker would be preferred to a tint or shade lighter. Thank you in advance. Here is the awl grip color chart for convenience.

Tap the link and choose "standard" to pull up the color cards.

http://www.awlgrip.com/support-and-advi ... ards.aspx#

Awlgrip Egg shell white: This is what I got from Warts 2530 project page. Would you all concur? Specifically, WARTHOG? …since you have been through this process all ready…

MadGar":1gw9anxm said:
If you're interested in gelcoat, Cecil marine sells the original parker color (classic).
http://www.cecilmarineonline.com/parker ... sic-white/

Good luck
Kevin

Kevin, you are 100% spot on: I will use gelcoat instead of awlgrip. But, anyone wanting Parker factory gel coat should call "Central Marine" parts department in St. Pete Florida: $50 shipped / quart instead of the $110 elsewhere. Also, I was considering mixing the gelcoat with silica or cabosil for the texture. Has anyone done this before with excellent results or what are you mixing with gel coat to get the textured appearance?
Also, I would like to roll/ tip this application. Do you think I will be able to get factory professional results with roll/ tip?
Thank you.

You would want to use a regular nonskid mix that is designed for that.....DO Not use sand.

Yes sand is cheap, but it will show as little Black dots as it wears.

However..... If you will just roll the gellcoat on using a 1/4in nap roller.....It will have plenty resistance to slipping without the additive.

I don't have any closeup's but this is what I do have...... Scroll down.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12419&start=575

warthog5":3lmeie83 said:
You would want to use a regular nonskid mix that is designed for that.....DO Not use sand.

Yes sand is cheap, but it will show as little Black dots as it wears.

However..... If you will just roll the gellcoat on using a 1/4in nap roller.....It will have plenty resistance to slipping without the additive.

I don't have any closeup's but this is what I do have...... Scroll down.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12419&start=575

Bobby,
Your nonskid looks super: that is exactly the look I am attempting to achieve. I have a quart of parker gel coat...so, do I just buy this "rustoleum epoxyshield anti-skid additive" and mix at 2 ounce of additive / 1 quart gelcoat" and roll it on the cockpit? Do you thin the gelcoat at all or just use a hardener and the epoxyshield additive? Thanks for everyone's contributions.

ALSO: Is it realistic to believe that I can accomplish a "factory look" with this technique and product on the cockpit deck, washboards, trunk cabin and cabin rooftop?
Last question: after applying the gelcoat w/ nonskid, did you remove the tape immediately or let the gel coat product kick off/ cure for a bit? THANKS A TON in advance.

It will look fine.....Factory Parker....No not really......You would need to spray it and have a large orifice gun...like a dump gun specifically for spraying gellcoat.

As to removing the tape.....It kinda depends on how thick you get it across the tape line.

For precision taping of lines, use 3M Fineline.....It's for taping panels and making nice radius on the corners. 1/4in works best.

You will note the Green tape I used around things 3/4in & 2in. ....That is automotive tape, available at auto body supply.

Do not use something like Lowes painters tape.

Pulling the tape...... You have to play that by ear or rather feel. Your doing large areas and chances are you may not be able to reach it without getting on the surface....If the surface is still soft that is out.....and God forbid your pulling the tape and paper and it breaks or you drop it in the wet. UGH!

Back