Bennett 18 x 9 Trim Tabs Installation on a 21SE

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meat Without Feet

Reaction score
Thought I would share some photos of last weekends project and hope they may be of help to someone in the future.

Mounted the backing plate about 1/8 above bottom and 3.5 inches in from the chine (dry fitted in this photo). Everything along the way was dry fitted first before caulking applied.

Starboard tab mounted. Backing plate and screws caulked with BoatLife Life Seal.

Sensor wire for the EIC (Electronic Indicator Control) fed through transom. The stock actuator tops had to be removed and new ones provided in the EIC kit along with a metal rod for each actuator installed prior to the commencement of installation on the boat.

The 3" nipple provided in the kit was not long enough since it entered the battery box right at the bottom on a upward angle. A 5" nipple was used instead and I was able to screw the compression elbow on with no problem.

Port tab installed.

The swim platform was removed to attach the actuator to the transom. The template is taped in place and ready to be drilled.

Actuator installed and swim platform reinstalled. No modification to the swim platform was necessary.

Both trim tabs installed. It was a rainy day and I lost some time and quit for the day at this point. Both actuators, screws and control wire were caulked with BoatLife Life Seal and excess cleaned off with mineral spirits.

1/2" of negative pitch.

Starboard battery box. 5" nipple with compression elbow and hydraulic tubing installed.

Port battery box with 5" nipple with compression elbow and hydraulic tubing installed. There is plenty of room to remove strainer on the raw water washdown pump. I drilled holes for the sensor wires to run them more directly since they were ultimately just long enough to reach up to and inside the center console where the hydraulic pump and EIC module are mounted. Holes were sealed with BoatLife Life Seal.

The hydraulic pump and EIC module mounted inside the center console. A 1/2" block was placed behind the top of the pump mount to build it out and #10x24 s/s bolts, washers and lock nuts were used to mount instead of the supplied screws. The hydraulic tubes were run up the center of the boat, under the deck, over the fuel tank along with the sensor wires and secured with wire ties to existing wires and/or hoses along the way for support. There was about 2-3 feet extra tubing which was coiled and wire tied instead of cutting shorter. Note: I had to contact Bennett and have them send me an extra length of tubing since the (1) they provided was not long enough. I used (2) full lenghts.

The EIC mounted at the helm.

I roughed up the tabs and hinge plates with 80 grit on a random orbit sander. 1/2 of a 4" zinc was bolted to the top of each trim tab. The tabs were then cleaned with acetone, zincs masked and tabs were primed 2 coats with self etching epoxy primer and 2+ coats of bottom paint applied to tabs (both sides), hinge plates and actuators (below the waterline).

I finished up the installation and calibration Sunday afternoon and primed the tabs the following day and bottom painted them the day after that.

Now I can't get the boat back in the water fast enough :D

Very professional job!

However, the wash from the inside edge of the stbd tab will be close to splashing your transducer if you don't move it (the ducer) further inboard. Check it out on the water first.

You'll love those Bennett blades.

Thanks for the compliments and comments. I have one more photo to add.

View of the inside of the center console of the EIC module and hydraulic pump as taken from afore. A rubber block will be installed below the pump for support.

Hey man that is a great job you did there!!!How long did it take to do!!! I love your bottom color i did mine same color looks awesome!!!!

It took me about a 1/2 day on Saturday (due to rain), all day Sunday and a couple of hours on Monday to prime the tabs and Tues to paint them.

It took extra time trying to figure out how to run the wires and tubing and then fishing them through the hull. If I were to do it again I could probably get it done in a good day (excluding the painting).

If I were to do it again I would scuff the tabs and hinge plates with the sander before installing them on the boat.

I agree the bottom color is definitely cool 8) I think next year I'm going to add a little blue to it.

Update:

I launched yesterday. The tabs work outrageous! What a difference. The boat rides sooooooooo much better. The depth finder works fine too.

Beautiful documentation! 8)

This post definitely adds tremendous value to the site
Others considering a similar project would be well served by reading your well documented post!

With those tabs, she runs like a whole new boat, doesn't she? :wink:

Your bilge area is quite clean. You may be able to give Megabyte a run for his money! :lol:

Back