Best performance engine for 2520

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carborita70

Reaction score
I have a 2003 -Parker 2520 that was previously powered by a F225hp 4 stroke Yamaha. I stated previously as it was recently stolen, the insurance covers a re-power with a new F225. However, my mileage/economy was pretty poor with only 2mpg on average. My option is to get an F250 Yamaha but a 2007 with 450hrs. Will the extra 25hp make an appreciable difference in economy? Other brands have not been considered thus far.

I had a Yamaha F250 on my 2007 2320 and I have a Yamaha 300 on my 2011 2520... I don't have a lot of expertise on the 225's but, I've heard they were slightly under powered for a 225 where some say the 250 is closer to 260hp.... in terms of economy, I think the extra HP will probably move the boat around with a little less effort than the 225 did with little difference in economy.... The 300 on my 2520 MV is a very powerful motor, it can get thirsty if you want to run around at 35mph but between 28-30 mph I'm at 12 - 13 GPH burn... its not far off what my 2320 DV with a 250 was...

We had a f250 on ours and i thought it was a good fit.FYI on the f225 I did hear the have a exhaust issue around 1000 hours,I guess the exhaust inside corrodes from my understanding it's pretty expensive to fix somewhere around $2000.Not sure if that helps your decesion.Good luck

You should seriously look at Suzuki. They spin a bigger prop with more torque that can help quite a bit with lifting the stern of a 2520 - which will have the tendency to ride a bit bow high without proper tabs.
I replaced the original F225 on my 2520XL with a Suzuki 300 - it now rides like a different boat. It's faster, tracks better and I don't have to use the tabs nearly as much as I did with the F225. I feel much more secure in the boat - which is a comfort when trying to negotiate some of our difficult inlets here in South Florida. In terms of fuel burn - around 12 to 13 gph at 30mph. Given my experience, I do not understand why Parker does not offer Suzuki's as an option on their new models.
I also have to say that the digital controls are really nice too.

My option is to get an F250 Yamaha but a 2007 with 450hrs. Will the extra 25hp make an appreciable difference in economy? Other brands have not been considered thus far.

It's my opinion that you will still be underpowered.

I've been doing a lot of testing as of lately. I've also been doing a LOT of rereading to let the fine points really sink it.

What I have determined is that these boats are not ever gonna be speed demons......and that because they are so large you can pack a LOT of weight on them.

As to some examples.

I've seen numbers thrown up that the boat has 50gals of gas in it when testing. That's only 1/3 of it's capacity.

Lets fill it up. So add another 100gals = adding aprox another 650lbs to the boat.

I had some decent numbers come up and thought I was headed in the right direction with a prop change. Then all of a sudden the motor started running like crap. The fuel was polished and filters changed. It still ran like crap. So the mechanic was called to the dock. 3 of the 6 sparkplug boots had a open in them. All were changed. Carbs tweaked on a little. It still ran like crap with this same new 4 blade.
BUT!............The tanks were FULL and there were 4 adults, 3 teenagers and 2 little ones on the boat.
The old prop is going back on and to be tested.

With putting all our minds together .....we think the boat or I should say....this motor just doesn't have the guts to push that load and that the motor is running correctly now. We figured between the Fuel & people that is aprox 2000lbs.

Motor is a '95 VX 250 [carbed] 2 stroke.

It's also a lost sensation that a lot of folks are used to with it being cold outside and cocooned in a Pilothouse the lack of the feel for speed. Yea it's there on the GPS, but not in your face so to speak.

PS. The new T&T motor took a crap in the middle of the last test with the motor level. Couldn't tuck it in and couldn't trim it up. A Replacement is in hand.

When and if I repower my 2520DV (hope not too as my 250hp Ox66 is a great engine), I will do so with a Yamaha 300hp 4 stroke.

Thank you all for the replies. A 300 would be the obvious choice, but cannot go out of pocket on this and the insurance will go only so far. I am in west central florida, and it is pretty hard to find a decent used large engine (probably why it was stolen). It is a big deal to have faith in the engine as our trips average over 40 miles offshore, so a new one will probably be the choice, provided insurance can cover the costs. I have had Suzuki's on past boats (new) and had no issue at all with them, and they are less expensive, but again only so much money to go around. I will likely get the F250 and hope for the best, I expect it will just push me over the 2mpg or around 12 gph.
IMO a 225 does not belong on a boat this heavy.

I have had Suzuki's on past boats (new) and had no issue at all with them, and they are less expensive, but again only so much money to go around. I will likely get the F250 and hope for the best

Then why not opt for the DF-250 Suzuki. I heard there were thousands of dollars difference in price with Yamaha being more expensive.

Back