Bilge Water?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTR

Reaction score
I have an 07 2320 that I purchased a few month ago. We went out last weekend and the seas were not to friendly (true 2-3 with 4's frequent, close tight Gulf).

When we loaded the boat I checked the bilge and had a few inches of water. Not enough for the float switch to pump out but enough to manually pump out.

We only stayed out about 2 hours with most of that riding time. Speed around 20 mph. Never took one over the bow, sides, stern or wet the windshield.

We have had the boat out about 15-20 times and only get a little water from the anchor rode on a 10-12 hour trip (less than 1/2 inch).

I recently installed a in hull transducer and leak tested (filled the bilge with water to the top of the transducer-no leaks).

Is it normal for a Parker to take on water in rough conditions?

depends on the orientation of the boat when you loaded it onto the trailer. when the boats sitting level (like it is in the water) the stern bilge is actually not the lowest point in the hull. the lowest point is a well underneath the polithouse, where your forward bilge pump should be (if you have one) if you checked the bilge when the boat was tilted up slight like on a trailer, the water collecting in that area wiould run back into the bilge. probably nothing to worry about, but just to be safe, check all your thru hulls and anywhere that water could get in.

JTR":2h0ek0ca said:
Is it normal for a Parker to take on water in rough conditions?

This question comes up often, and the answer is... it depends.

If you have a forward bilge pump (under the p-house), the exit port is on the stbd side, and fairly low to the water line. The hose to that exhaust port has a weather loop under the v-berth floor, but because of the low height of that weather loop, water might make it back through that hose when transiting rough seas.

One way to know for certain might be to taste the water the next time you discover anything in the forward bilge. If it's salty, you have a pretty good idea that sea water is making its way through the hose.
If the water is fresh, it is either rain or wash water.

The thing is, even the taste test is not absolute as sea water can still enter that bilge space from the anchor rode.

Hope this helps.

I do not have a forward bilge pump or access to that area.

When I checked the bilge it was salt water (taste).

However my aft bilge pump does not have a loop. Runs from the pump, up to port, under transom box to port thru hull.

I filled the bilge with water and let it sit for 24 hours to check raw water thru hull, transducer and drain plug (no leaks).

I need to put a loop in the bilge pump hose.

Thanks for the replies!

JTR":jopmu2v5 said:
I need to put a loop in the bilge pump hose.

This is what a weather loop looks like.
It prevents water from entering the bilge in rough seas.

Image-8D441F628E9711D9.jpg

Capt Kev, that is a cool idea, you gave me a thing to add to my to do list, in the winter out here in Calif, we get water, and I think I now know where it comes from.

The only thing I would add is that you need to look at your thru hulls while in the water to make sure water is not coming in. You said the only real change was your new installation. The pressure (to get out) of water put in the bilge might not be as stong as the pressure (to get in) of the salt water at a 2' depth.

Typically i find that I have a little water in my bilge when underway because of the way the boat sits on the trailer and not draining all the water out when i rinse out the pilot house. There are a few ways for water to get into the bilge area. But it doesnt sound like you have anything major going on. I agree with checking your thru hull again though.

This may not be a common problem but I did notice that you mentioned rough conditions.

You may want to look at your hull-deck connection towards the bow. As water is pushed up the flare, it can be forced under the rub rail. If you don't have a water proof connection, the water can travel under the rub rail, through the hull-deck joint, into the cabin, then into the bilge. When I first used my boat in rough water, I noticed that when I put my tabs down and plowed through the chop and swells, I'd get a significant amount of water on the floor in the cabin. It turned out being that hull and deck were fastened without the joint gasket being placed properly. There was a two foot area of the joint that had no gasket. This allowed a significant amount of water to get inside. It was an easy fix and the dealer repaired it for me. All that had to be done was that the rub rail was removed in this area, then the mechanical fasteners were removed, and a sealant was forced into the joint. Then, the joint was again fastened and the rub rail replaced. Also, it was covered by the warranty. No charge to fix it.

When I load the boat on the trailer, the transom drops and the scuppers go underwater. I can have a blue-bird day and still get 2 gal of water in the bilge during recovery to the trailer.

Dave

aka

I have not had a chance to put the boat in the water however, we may go out this weekend.

As for the new transducer leaking I don't see how it can. It was my first. I followed the advice of Jim at BOE and the install went smoothly. Used 3M 4200. Sanded and prepped the area. It pulled up flush with the hull. A flea couldn't get his dick in there.

I will keep a close eye on it just to make sure.

The bait well pump may be suspect. It has been loud the last couple of times. I removed the motor to check for any debris a few weeks ago and all was clear.

Thanks for all the tips!

If there is any possibility that the baitwell pump (or a baitwell line) could be leaking, please remember to close the through-hull when the baitwell pump is not in use.

Also, consider adding a high-water alarm in case a baitwell line breaks while the pump is in use. The extra warning time a high water alarm will give you should allow you time to close the through-hull, and avert a disaster.

I discovered a Robalo sitting low and taking on water at my marina last year, and it turned turtle and sank before the yard could get a pump in it. Cause of the sinking was a broken livewell line with the through-hull left in the open position.

I also witnessed a non-Parker CC sink while fishing in the Bay for the same reason - broken livewell line and an open through-hull. 4 adults and 2 children thankfully escaped unharmed when other boats in the area came to their aid.

Policy on my boat is to close any through-hull that is not in use. That way I have one less thing to worry about. :wink:

Finally had a chance to go out. Did not do any fishing. It was a little to rough but we wanted to take the boat out and let the kids play on the beach.

Took a short trip over to the island and checked the bilge when it hit the water, dry. Checked when we were in the river, dry. Checked when we reached the beach, wet.

The raw water strainer was leaking. I left the sea cock open to check all possibilities. Tightened the strainer and checked again.

All is well.

Thanks for all the tips!

Back