Bit by the Bug

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new here and new to Parker in general. Recently I've been hunting for a boat since I sold my '62 Whaler 13 I restored. I've been doing lots of research, with the help of this forum, and think I've finally settled on the boat family I want. From everything I've seen, Parker is an outstanding boat that stands the test of time (which is good because I'm hoping to find one for a decent price and that leads me to "older" Parkers). Glad to be part of the Classic Parker family, and soon to be owner in the future. Now if I can just find that 1700 I want...

Welcome! I can say that the 1700 is, in my opinion, the best 17’ boat that can be had in terms of interior size, seakeeping, and being an all around tank. Here’s the saga of mine: 1997 1700 Overhaul Project

However, there weren’t a ton of them made, and when you do find them, they usually need work (hence the thread above). So keep your eyes peeled, and good luck! You might be able to open up your options by looking at 1800s as well, they’re very similar hulls as opposed to the later 1801, which was redesigned with features that make it a bigger boat.

Additionally, members on here keep a pretty close eye on the used market. If you post where you’re from in your signature, someone might be able to tip you off to something in your area.

Thanks, I’ve already read through your project and it’s very inspiring. The whaler I restored was much smaller and simpler but it got my feet wet and got me more interested in older boats. I like the 17 Parker for its lines and open deck. Typically I’m used to a front and rear deck but I can build corner boxes in the stern and put a cooler between them in the splashwell over the bilge to accommodate a rear deck. I’ve got lots of ideas already, just need to find the right boat.

Thanks, I’ve already read through your project and it’s very inspiring. The whaler I restored was much smaller and simpler but it got my feet wet and got me more interested in older boats. I like the 17 Parker for its lines and open deck. Typically I’m used to a front and rear deck but I can build corner boxes in the stern and put a cooler between them in the splashwell over the bilge to accommodate a rear deck. I’ve got lots of ideas already, just need to find the right boat.

To be honest, the primary difference between the 1700 and 1800 is the lack of stern boxes on the 1700. Other than that, I think they’re pretty much an identical hull within about 6” of each other in LOA. So if the stern boxes is something you’re looking for, that may be an easier model to find.

To be honest, the primary difference between the 1700 and 1800 is the lack of stern boxes on the 1700. Other than that, I think they’re pretty much an identical hull within about 6” of each other in LOA. So if the stern boxes is something you’re looking for, that may be an easier model to find.
I'm definitely open to an older 1800 if I can find one that's priced right. I think my concern with the 1800 is that they usually come with larger consoles and I'm hoping to fit this in a garage. I'm pretty sure an older 1800 will fit with removable windshield and grab bar, I might even have to do that with the 1700? I think my biggest struggle is that most folks list their 1800's from the 90's like they are from the mid 2000's and it's hard to talk someone down to where I need to be in terms of cost when they start so high. Don't get me wrong, I think Parkers are great and hold their value well, but when it needs cleaning up or other work and has the original 2 stroke motor it shouldn't be the same list price as one that's 10 years newer with a 4 stroke, right?

Good luck with your search! I waited 1-1/2 years for my1800. I knew what I wanted and stayed diligent looking for it. Sometimes it takes patience but for that, you usually end up with a boat your happy with.

I'm definitely open to an older 1800 if I can find one that's priced right. I think my concern with the 1800 is that they usually come with larger consoles and I'm hoping to fit this in a garage. I'm pretty sure an older 1800 will fit with removable windshield and grab bar, I might even have to do that with the 1700? I think my biggest struggle is that most folks list their 1800's from the 90's like they are from the mid 2000's and it's hard to talk someone down to where I need to be in terms of cost when they start so high. Don't get me wrong, I think Parkers are great and hold their value well, but when it needs cleaning up or other work and has the original 2 stroke motor it shouldn't be the same list price as one that's 10 years newer with a 4 stroke, right?

Can’t speak to price, I probably overpaid for my 1700 with an ‘06 ETEC in 2018 (13k) but it was quite literally the exact boat I wanted.

As far as height goes, there’s a huge variation in what console/windshield was fitted to the 1700s through the model years. It’s tough to say for sure, but I think the height doesn’t vary as much as the thickness/length of the console box so you may be looking into a windshield removal or modification either way.

I’ll say that mine has the largest console that was offered at the time, and I’d hate to have a smaller one. Storage is at a premium in these boats.

My 1998 1800 with the original console, windshield, and grab bar will fit into an 8ft high garage door with about 1/4'' of height to spare, when sitting on a Load Rite aluminum bunk trailer. I could probably lower the bunks on the trailer another inch or so, but i like them higher to avoid possible trailer fender contact when loading.

A shorter grab bar and shorter windshield or a smaller console would make it fit into a 7ft tall door.

My 1998 1800 with the original console, windshield, and grab bar will fit into an 8ft high garage door with about 1/4'' of height to spare, when sitting on a Load Rite aluminum bunk trailer. I could probably lower the bunks on the trailer another inch or so, but i like them higher to avoid possible trailer fender contact when loading.

A shorter grab bar and shorter windshield or a smaller console would make it fit into a 7ft tall door.
The general dimensions of the 1800 would probably work, minus the height as you mentioned. It really comes down to the trailer it sits on. There is a guy locally with a 1800 for sale but the trailer is just under 9' at the tires. And while yes, that does fit into a 9' wide door...I don't think I can successfully back that into a garage without tearing something up.

I've seen some that were on trailers that had the wheels tucked under the gunnels and that would probably have worked. Although then I wonder does it sit higher on the bunks to clear the fenders?

The trailer makes all the difference on garage door clearance. I have heard others say that their 1800/1801 on the Parker package trailer needs a 9' high door. My 1800 is on a Venture aluminum bunk trailer and it just barely clears an 8' door. The tops of my bunks are about an inch above the tops of the trailer fenders. The trailer sits on 15'' wheels. I like it this way to avoid hull to fender interference. I think most legal boat trailers are a max of 8ft 6in wide, as that's the legal max width in the USA. That gives you 3'' to spare on each side of the trailer when backing it into an 8' wide door. Yeah, its tight, but if you practice you'll get good at it.

I'd be surprised if a trailer for a 1700 was narrower than a trailer for an 1800, but you may be able to find a skinnier one if you need to?

Most pontoon boat trailers use smaller 10-12'' wheels, in order to lower clearance height since the wheels have to be under the toons. Maybe they make smaller wheeled narrow stance trailers for v-hull boats too?

If you have 15 inch tires, 14s or even 13s would help. They do make 5 lug wheels for the 10 inch pontoon boat trailers too. It doesn't have to clear the door by much, but it does need to clear!

My 97-1800 sits on the original Load-Rite roller trailer, 14" tires and is 8' exactly to the outside edge of the fenders and 94-1/2" to the top of the console rail. Unfortunately, I have no garage to put it in:(

My 97-1800 sits on the original Load-Rite roller trailer, 14" tires and is 8' exactly to the outside edge of the fenders and 94-1/2" to the top of the console rail. Unfortunately, I have no garage to put it in:(
That's actually very helpful. Good to know that with the right trailer it would work. It's still tight but doable with practice.

Can’t speak to price, I probably overpaid for my 1700 with an ‘06 ETEC in 2018 (13k) but it was quite literally the exact boat I wanted.

As far as height goes, there’s a huge variation in what console/windshield was fitted to the 1700s through the model years. It’s tough to say for sure, but I think the height doesn’t vary as much as the thickness/length of the console box so you may be looking into a windshield removal or modification either way.

I’ll say that mine has the largest console that was offered at the time, and I’d hate to have a smaller one. Storage is at a premium in these boats.
This sounds like the one I just bought.

Back