Bunk or Roller Trailer for Parker 2300 DV CC?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reel Basstard

Reaction score
Purchasing a used 2009 Parker 2300 deep v CC. I think recommended trailer is a bunk? Does anyone have experience on either.
I can purchase a new 6000 pound capacity sea lion aluminum bunk trailer for 3k?
Thoughts?
Super excited about this boat!

Never buy a roller trailer. Absolutely nothing positive about it, unless you like a wavy hull from the rollers or potentially rolling off the trailer on the ramp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A lot depends on where you live. All have been asked to put there hometown in their profile so it will show up under your screen name.

The farther North you go on the Atlantic cost the steeper the tides. This presents a problem with bunk trailers.
And why roller trailers are needed.

Bunk trailers are better easier on the hull.

Id look for a 7000lb trailer . You want one for a 26ftr...... Why? Because it will fit correctly and not have cantlivered bunks past the rear crossmember.

You want a Full length trailer....IE The frame of the trailer to end VERY close to the transom.

TrailerBunks002.jpg

Will a trailer designed for a 23ft boat work? Yes...But you will wonder why it's such a PITA to deal with.

I havent see a trailer yet that couldn't use a little tweaking to fit the boat better and make it easier to launch and retrieve the boat. Most people don't have a clue and just put up with it.

I have Very Little experience with a roller trailer.

$3000 sounds to cheap. Yes the trailer for a 28ft will be longer, but it will ride better and the boat fit better.

as a Example....... The trailer I have is designed for a 31ft boat and I have a 2530...

The longer trailer will keep the tow vehicle out of the brine.

You Do NOT want Bearing Buddies....... You want Posi Lube or Sure Lube spindles...[same thing]
This is Very important... I've changed 4 axles under my personal trailers to get rid of Bearing Buddies.

Here you see a 23ft boat on a trailer designed for a 23ft trailer..... This will not do.

SuzukisMounted002.jpg

Same boat on a trailer for a 28ftr

1stTimewaterpixs008.jpg

My 2300 DVCC sits on a Rolls Axle bunk trailer with a 10,000 pound capacity.

I would recommend a bunk trailer because it is a heavy boat. But keep in mind that a bunk trailer needs more water depth for launch and retrieve. A roller trailer is useful if you use a ramp without much depth or if there are large tidal swings where you live. The key to a roller trailer is having enough rollers!

You mention a 6000 pound trailer for $3k (not sure if that is gross weight or capacity weight). I suggest a capacity of at least 8000 and more is better. By the time you fill up with fuel and gear and ice and junk that boat will weight around 7000-7500. I also suggest that any new trailer costing $3k will be a very poor trailer.

Do yourself a favor and buy a quality trailer - torsion axles, stainless hardware, EOH brakes, at least 15 inch wheels with radial tires, LED lights, etc. It will be cheaper in the long run. Upgrading stuff is expensive and takes your time. Wearing out underrated bias ply tires in one season is expensive. Being disabled on the side of the road can be very expensive.

Unfortunately for those of us who live far away, the best trailers are made in Florida. Give some of the Florida makers a call.

We always preferred roller trailers in the pacific northwest. Tide variations up to 19ft meant that you could come back from a day of fishing to a dry ramp. The winch could pull the boat up the rollers and you can go home, instead of waiting another 4 hours for the tide to come back in. Bunk trailers really limit your ability to use the boat in those regions.

We have a bunk trailer now that we moved to Georgia, and its easier on the boat. Down here the trailer never even gets wet, we use the sling launch always. The other advantage of a bunk trailer is less maintenance. You don't have rollers to replace and grease. A lot less moving parts.

I am picking up a new bunk trailer for my 21se Saturday. I went with Ameratrail. It was hands down the best trailer for the money and it's a 23 trailer.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Thank you for all the information. Very good info. When you say the length of the trailer, is the overall length?

I will be using the trailer in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. I originally wanted a roller for launching, but quickly realized I want a bunk. So what size trailer do you guys recommend? I understand its not all about weight, so what length do you recommend? I am assuming we are talking capacity versus GVW, but need to check that. Trailers on their own seem to weight about 1000 pounds.

I dont know if you can do this on here (list businesses) but these are the 2 places I was shopping.

http://www.boatbrokerageinc.com/
http://www.roadkingtrailers.com/PRODUCTS.html
They sell Road King (aluminum) trailers. price was $3600 for 6300 pound capacity trailer

http://traileroutlet.net/sealion/
http://www.sealiontrailers.com/aluminum.htm
They sell Sea Lion Trailers... price was $3100 for 6200 pound trailer

With all that said I think I need to go bigger... appreciate any specifics.

That hull needs at least a 7500# trailer. Mine is on a 7500# Venture Trailer and wish I had bought 10,000#. I second getting Pos-i-lube hubs.

Attachments

• IMG_0662-1.JPG
    IMG_0662-1.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 367
Reel Basstard,
You might want to try Brian Bethel at Certified Sales in Menden, Ma. (508-478-0200). In late 2014, I got a Road King Bunk 2 axle, 1 brake, front guide bunks, stainless hardware trailer for my 2510 (10K net/12KGVW) for about 5K. His website now shows Ameritrial trailers...might be worth a call?

In the list you gave......

http://www.sealiontrailers.com/aluminum.htm
SA-28T- 8200BB

In this link http://www.roadkingtrailers.com/RKAV.html

I'd look at this one, But honestly.... It's VERY lacking on info and would tread cautiously.

RKAV 24-26TB 80" / 6.5 225X15C Radial 8600 LB 7300 LB

When I bought the first trailer I had a legal size paper sheet FULL of the details I expected in a trailer.

Some said You get what we build..... But Then I found HiTech Marine out of Panama City,Fl.

http://www.aluminumboattrailer.com/contact.html

I have established a good repor with Brad the owner. I've sent a Lot of people to him and none have ever been disappointed.

I have a 2300DV on an 8000# Magic Trail dual axle bunk trailer. I'm just north of you in Marblehead. Yes, the greater tide swing means you need to time your launch/haul appropriately, but I usually go in at the beginning of the season and out at the end. Not a hassle.

My trailer extends to the end of the hull with a bunk support right at the very end.

Lastly, I put guides on the end of the trailer to help make sure the boat is centered when hauling. we often have cross winds where we launch and it makes the whole process so much easier.

Back