canvas color change for new Parker exterior

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoySEA

Reaction score
Guys, As you well know boat manufacturers are very conservative about changes. Parker has been using Sunbrella number 6026 Navy for the last 8 years. The majority of aftermarket/custom jobs we do are using black fabric and i'd like to convince Parker Marine to switch to black. It's always been available from your dealers as a special order with an up-charge. Why an up-charge is necessary? i make deals with various suppliers on certain colors based on volume. When a color change request comes in, it's a one -off situation for us and i don't get as good as price. Better still, than most of your local fabricators , but not good enough without an additional charge. the Dark navy color does not match some of the speciality fabrics that could complement the line. For example, i found a completely waterproof fabric that will not stretch under northern snow loads and a different breathable lighter weight cover fabric that by it's specs is more durable and stronger than the acrylics and is easily stowable. We're sending swatches to the dealers this week for their input, but it is YOUR opinion i want. What exterior color would you like to see on the new Parkers?

I really like the way, board moderator, Megabyte's boat looks. It has a nice refined clean look.
Image-5C523C4E4F5411DB.jpg

Here is how black looked on my Maycraft:
pret2_100.jpg

Being that the parker corporate colors are black and red i think either of the colors above would be best (I personally like megabytes better). Red may look good but it would be too garish for me.

The fabric that I used was Sunbrella in a color that I thought was called 'sand'.
But... I just checked the Sunbrella web site and didn't see 'sand' listed. Oyster maybe? :?:

pelagic2530":jvloy3wn said:
mines green. i dunno, its not a real "parkery" color, but i think it looks good. maybe im just biased? :D

I think they called that 'teal'. It was the standard color some years ago, and is what my 1996 model was wearing when I bought her.

Image-D198FD02744911D8.jpg

Megabyte":2i046gat said:
pelagic2530":2i046gat said:
mines green. i dunno, its not a real "parkery" color, but i think it looks good. maybe im just biased? :D

I think they called that 'teal'. It was the standard color some years ago, and is what my 1996 model was wearing when I bought her.

Image-D198FD02744911D8.jpg

yiiiikkeeees!!!! i hope that isnt your layup job, kevin!!! thats asking for a stiff wind and a crash!!! :shock: :shock:

but youre right about the teal. i knew it was something like that. why you get yours redone? fabric wear out, or just sick of the color?

pelagic2530":1wuhlevm said:
yiiiikkeeees!!!! i hope that isnt your layup job, kevin!!! thats asking for a stiff wind and a crash!!! :shock: :shock:

Naaa... That was years ago when I bought her. The yard had her jacked way up in the air so they could get under her to prep and paint the bottom.

pelagic2530":1wuhlevm said:
but youre right about the teal. i knew it was something like that. why you get yours redone? fabric wear out, or just sick of the color?
:D

A little of both. The fabric wasn't torn, but it didn't repel water anymore and I wanted a color change. Teal was really popular in the late 80's and early 90's, and I was looking for something a bit more neutral that was more in line with my taste. :)

Personally, I like the canvas to closely match the gelcoat if possible. When the canvas is done in a contrasting color, I think it draws the eye away from the boat itself...

My current Grady with navy blue canvas.

IMG_0717.jpg

My old Grady with the canvas trimmed in ivory.

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

The blue doesn't look bad, but I like the ivory a lot better. If I ever have to re-canvas my Sailfish, I'll do the ivory again.

Back