Captain OUPV Bucket List...Check

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnee83

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve thought about getting my OUPV Coastal Waters for years and I’m feeling some satisfaction on completing this bucket list item for me. I don’t have any immediate plans to use it for chartering, perhaps when I retire? I have a sailing charter on a 450 Lagoon Cat in the BVI in late July and I thought it might help to pad my sailing resume for that as I’m stepping up in boat size from my previous experience. I let them know I was in process of getting it but they approved me without it. I sent it to them anyway. I don’t know if it helped any or not? However, now I get to joke with my good friends that they have to call me Captain so I guess it’s good for something, lol. I’ll probably add the Towing and Aux Power certifications down the road. My wife had this cool T-shirt made for me too so that makes it official I guess. It’s all in good fun, I’m not going to start referring to myself as Captain or anything, it’s just a 6-Pack I know. Hope everyone is having a good season.

Attachments

• D1F3499B-A330-48AF-9373-3E3FAFA9A00D.jpeg
    D1F3499B-A330-48AF-9373-3E3FAFA9A00D.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 310
  • 0980DA83-6B6B-4865-9B7D-D06402F06B3F.jpeg
    0980DA83-6B6B-4865-9B7D-D06402F06B3F.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 309
Congrats Capt.!!!!

Nicely done. I received my OUPV for the first time in 1990. Although I no longer charter, I do keep renewing. Nice accomplishment and always nice to gain more knowledge.

Brad

Thanks guys. Like you Parker, I’ll be renewing mine forever after finally getting. As Madgar mentioned, it is more work than I expected it was going to be. I was told by a friend this weekend that getting his Master was easy compared to the 6-Pack OUPV? I’d say the Navigation was the toughest section of the exam. It’s good to learn the original paper chart and plotting instead of just knowing how to use a chart plotter.

Congrats Captain!! Will you you be wearing the hat with gold braid next time I see you in the creek? :D Seriously though, good job, I know that it was a lot of work.

Just the t-shirt Mark. Thanks though. I saw your boat at Boat House docks last weekend when I went by and stopped for fuel. She’s looking good as always. See you on the water.

Congratulations !
Yes, it is a lot of work and not inexpensive either, so you can be proud of your accomplishment.

I went to SeaSchool about 6 years before I retired and earned a 25gt Masters with a towing endorsement. When I renewed, I upgraded to a 50gt ticket.
My plan back then was to possibly drive a water taxi or work for one of the towing companies after retirement.

Neither happened, but I did score some great gigs moving boats up and down the east coast (driving boats I could never afford).
My best job ever was caretaker of a privately owned island in the BVI for 6 weeks.

The job entailed caring for the island and its systems, a small fleet of vessels, and transporting 2 housekeepers to and from the island (from a nearby island) during the week. Weekends, I was on my own. Just me, my launch, and 2 island kitties.

Best job ever.
Once licensed, it's all about connections. :wink:

Thanks Kevin. That’s cool that you were able to do a few paying gigs with your license. I would love to get into moving some boats for a retirement job but I don’t know anything about that industry or do I have any connections. I suspect the connections with brokers and others....? is the key to getting into that business. Curious what private island you were at in the BVI. Did you get hooked up with Richard Branson or something, lol.

Not brokers. Yacht management companies.
People who own boats in the 1 to 3 mil range don't care for their own boats.
They hire yacht management companies to do that.

In addition, boats that homeport in the northeast and mid Atlantic many times go to Florida for the winter, and come back for the summer.
The owners don't take them, the yacht management companies do.
A reputable management company never single hands a boat of that value. It's always 2 captains.

Get to know the owner(s) of one of those companies and offer to take a trip as a third deckhand for no pay, just for the experience of doing it.
Take a Sea Service form with you and get it signed. That is how you upgrade at renewal time.

Meals are covered by the boat, and these boats are large enough to sleep aboard, so there are no lodging costs.
Once you get your foot in the door and they see that you know your stuff, you are hopefully on your way to a paying gig.

Branson owns Necker (and Mosquito) islands. He lives on Necker.
I was 'next door' at Eustatia, and yes, I used to see him almost every day, tho never really met in person.
He would come past my dock with guests, all on little sailfish, headed to Saba Rock or Bitter End Yacht Club for lunch.
I'd wave, they would wave, and I would go on fishing. :)

Great information Kevin. Thanks for sharing it with me. Saba and Bitter End are wiped out. Although, they have finally started rebuilding both recently. I love that area. I’m know about the large yachts moving up and down the coast as I see them all the time in Beaufort as it’s a popular stopping spot for them. Here’s a pic from Saba 2 years ago. Looking forward to sailing that 450 Lagoon there in late July. Take care.

Attachments

• 2F8E5FE6-B42E-446A-8655-1940B21D1B5D.jpeg
    2F8E5FE6-B42E-446A-8655-1940B21D1B5D.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 167
Spent the night at Beaufort Docks on many occasions.
Somewhere in my collection I have a photo of me fueling a 49 Eastbay there in my Parker t-shirt. :)

Megabyte":1fr3am6z said:
Spent the night at Beaufort Docks on many occasions.
Somewhere in my collection I have a photo of me fueling a 49 Eastbay there in my Parker t-shirt. :)

Nice! I’m going to look into the info you gave me. I’ve got 10 to 12 years to figure it out and gain some experience for the master cert. Curious, why did you stop doing it?

I moved from Annapolis to coastal Delaware.
Lots of those million dollar boats live in Annapolis in the summer, and Florida for the winter. They don't live here.
My former neighbor owns a yacht management business and cares for many of these boats in Annapolis.
When Tim needed someone on short notice, I was only 2 doors away. Now I'm an hour and forty five minutes away. :|
It's ok tho. There are just different opportunities here.

Congratulations on getting your captains license. I got mine 15+ years ago and was worth the money for the knowledge learned. The school I went to offered the Masters course immediately after completing the captain's course for a few more weeks and more $$. So I got the Masters which wasn't very difficult. Once you've completed the basic OUPV course, you've got the most difficult part behind you. Coast Guard gave me an automatic upgrade upon renewal to 100 ton Masters. The course was a lot of work but a well worth it.

Back