cockpit sunshade ideas and pics?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capttimothy11

Reaction score
I want some sun protection for the kids in my 2120. I almost ordered the cockpit sunshade from parker, but its not what I'm looking for. I don't want the gunnels cluttered with the poles and straps. I was thinking about a top that adjoins top the top of the house with support poles back to the side of the house. Anyone have something similar? Please share all top pics, as I would like some ideas . Thanks.

I'm planning on doing the same thing to my pilothouse top, except I want a hardtop extension. A couple of weeks ago I passed a Parker PH at a marina dock who had a bimini extension on his top, with what looked to be an aluminum frame braced back to the wall. I will get a pic of it in a week or so when I go back. I'll post it as soon as I can. It sounds like what you describe.

Ray

an idea for temporary shade......tested on the trailer up to 60 mph.

Search Macfern.... he's got a most excellent permanent shade.

:D
That is the cadillac of shades right there.

Mine is about 50% complete. A little more fabrication and off to the canvas shop, cool times this summer. :D

Don't ya just love when grouperjim shows us his boat? There are always new ideas in store for us and I always get jealous because it is always so clean. Did you make that yourself Jim? If so then you know what that means, another project that you are going to have to walk me thru at a later date. We here at CP have come to expect the best from you and Kevin as well as others and we are never let down.

PS I am looking for ideas to put tools like knives and pliers in strategic places on the boat, I am open to any ideas. What is that I see on your transom inside attached to the livewell and storage?

ppem45":6zie0jsq said:
PS I am looking for ideas to put tools like knives and pliers in strategic places on the boat, I am open to any ideas. What is that I see on your transom inside attached to the livewell and storage?
I made up a piece out of starboard and attached it to the inside of my helm cabin, works to hold tools inside (protect from theft). This is the main tool storage, where tools will be picked from here and then used in the cockpit.

tool_storage_small_140.gif

I also have a teak one (of course) mounted on the 'inside' of the cabin door, so when the door is open (as it is for 99.9% of my fishing) ... then the tools at ready are now on the 'outside'.

ditch_bag_s_183.jpg

Maybe you could mount one of these on the forward-facing vertical surface of the livewell? Just watch the bolts - haha!

tackle_locker_small_854.jpg

.... sorry to hijack this thread with another topic ... but Pete started it :) !

WOW! Now you've got the wheels turning Dale. I would never be able to build one like you have done because I am a wood butcher, I do well with fiberglass and other materials but wood, naaaah. Your are an inspiration to us but how many can really build like you do?

I think I will run a thread on this type of project and let this one go on with its intent. Sorry for being a butt-in-ski Captain Tim

Thanks for the replies fellas. Grouper Jim, that top is awesome, something like that would be perfect fo me. Did you make it yourself? I am going to print the pics and see if I can have a top shop duplicate it. Thanks again.

This looks odd but deffinately an effective sun shade......
This is on a boat I spotted down in California Md.

Attachments

• DSC00072 (Small).JPG
    DSC00072 (Small).JPG
    51 KB · Views: 3,465
Oh, I don't know about that one. Kiinda looks little like a Stieger Craft or Eastern with the poles in the back of the ROOF! My dog said that, I didn't

On a sun shade for the rear deck area. I wanted the same and researched everywhere for the right thing and after all that work I found the Parker Factory had the best SUN SHADE out there. I bought the stainless one they offer and my wife and i love it. I had two brackets added to it so when not in use it's up there like an arch or I can just lay it down on the rear fish box area. I guess Parker had done all the research before me!
Cheerios

Cheerios":13bw8aia said:
On a sun shade for the rear deck area. I wanted the same and researched everywhere for the right thing and after all that work I found the Parker Factory had the best SUN SHADE out there. I bought the stainless one they offer and my wife and i love it. I had two brackets added to it so when not in use it's up there like an arch or I can just lay it down on the rear fish box area. I guess Parker had done all the research before me!
Cheerios

How much does their sunshade cost?

ppem45":1ner0vf5 said:
I am looking for ideas to put tools like knives and pliers in strategic places on the boat, I am open to any ideas.

My helm knife is attached to the side of the sounder with velcro.

Image-0EC2D931F14A11D8.jpg

The cockpit knife (stb side, rear) is also attached with velcro.

Image-0BDB8034DD2511D9.jpg

I am looking for one as too, however, I want one with rod holders attached so it needs to be pretty beefy, any input would be VERY much appreciated.
Thanks
Frank

Here is a simple sun shade I made using ideas I've seen on postings here. No welding, just some screwing, bending and drilling.

The angle I wanted for the sun shade coming off the rocket launchers was 112 degrees. I found that the a chrome fitting (which is normally used as the short "bow fitting" where the side railings join) is an angle of 110 degrees so I ordered two or them. Lucky find. After I had them I ordered stainless tubing to run a piece into the rocket launcher and another piece to run back over the aft deck about 4 feet. The three cross members are aluminum since not much load on them. The cross members go into standard chrome rail fittings on the stainless tubes.

Then I bought a piece of PVC pipe with the largest diameter to fit into the rocket launcher and another smaller diameter piece to go inside it. They bottom out into the stopper at the bottom of the rocket launcher. Then I used a few wraps of good tape to make the PVC pieces fit into the rocket launchers quite tight and the stainless post was the last to go into the center of it all. I drilled a hole through the rocket launcher and all the inserts to hold it all in place and to keep it from twisting (probably not necessary).

I bent some arch to the three cross members so water would drain off. Two are hidden under the Velcro strips on the Sunbrella so only the middle one shows my amateur bending ability.

When I assembled it, I did have to drill holes and use stainless screws on the two "bow fitting" pieces as the allen set screws were simply too weak.

After I had the frame assembled, I took it to a local canvas shop and gave them the piece of Sunbrella I had purchased from EBay. They sewed it all up and put wide velcro straps all abound the perimeter of the sun shade. Took it back to the boat and popped it into the rocket launchers. It could come all apart easily if i wanted it to but we like it up. I could also loosen the chrome fittings holding the center and back cross members and slide the entire shade forward towards the rocket launchers.

There can be a tendency to grab onto to the sun shade as one boards the boat, but the stainless is quite strong and even if something did bend out of shape, I could probably straighten it or simply make another piece as I had tubing left over....................Pete

Attachments

• 100_0970 (Small).JPG
    100_0970 (Small).JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 3,055
  • 100_0969 (Small).JPG
    100_0969 (Small).JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 3,054
  • 100_0968 (Small).JPG
    100_0968 (Small).JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 3,056
  • 100_0971 (Small).JPG
    100_0971 (Small).JPG