Compass need an adjustment?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheerios

Reaction score
I thought I would share this. For several years I have been wanting to have my compass adjusted so as to work with my GPS Chart-plotter. This March my son's lobster boats compass was off and on speaking with Jon from Voyager Marine in Essex he recommended that I try Cunningham Compass Adjusting 866-351-3587. I contacted Derek and Bob Cunningham and within a week they were at the dock. There system does not require the boat to leave the dock, they do it all at the dock and on the boat at the dock. After seeing how well my son's compass worked I had them to do my 25' Parker. They showed up two weeks ago and did it. Well on my 1st trip I did not think it was right or where I thought it should be. Bob Cunningham insisted on returning to my boat and as it turned out it was not the compass but a setting in my GPS. Bob corrected it for me and my compass now matches my GPS. I thought $150.00 is short money to be assured that my compass is right and for the time and work the guys put in.

They have a web site (www.magneuto.com)

Cheerios
Gloucester MA

interesting. im wondering what adjustment they made? i know that compasses can be magnetically corrected for nearby interference, but i'd be interested to hear how he compensated for deviation. did he reset your gps to read magnetic north?

Any compass on any boat will have slighly different magnetic readings due to magnetic interference from electronic or other metal materials boat may be made with.

salbrent":pnp4mxwc said:
Out of curiosity, what would be new compass of the same type cost?

New doesn't mean accurate.

As Ultra said, it needs to be adjusted to the boat.

Back