Considering buying new 1801

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1801Steve

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a new center console 18-20' and am considering the 1801. I would be interested in what current owners have to say - good and bad. I live in Richmond VA and fish on the James River for catfish. Some striper fishing, but mostly catfish. An occasional trip to the lakes here in central Virginia. My new boat may go to the Norfolk area and out to the Chesapeake Bay for some salt water, but those trips would be rare. I just sold a 16' Tracker bass boat that I fished for five years. Nice little boat but want something bigger.

I know the local dealer and they have an 1801 in stock with a 150 HP Yamaha. I suspect that's a little more power than I would need. Thoughts?

I am undecided about a T-top or bimini. Most of my fishing is in the winter when the sun feels good. In the summer I switch to kayak or wade fishing. The big boat pulls a tube in the summer, but doesn't see much fishing action. Thoughts?

The other possibility is a Scout 191 Bay or 201 Bay. I'll take any ideas along those lines as well.

Thanks for your help. I know Parkers are great boats and I was tickled to find this group.

Steve

I'd recommend the Parker 21 SE over the 18. I've had both and the 21 was lots more friendly for open water, more room than the 18, and can go almost anywhere you want to go, I used my 21 up in the creeks, sound, and out to 40 miles offshore. I had a 150 2 Stroke and it had plenty of power and speed for my use.
Dave

Yeah, I understand the cost factor. I bought both the 18 and the 21 used. I traded another boat and a Nisson 140 2s that was on the 21 when I bought it for the Yamaha 150 which performed much better than the Nisson.

camron":8afb4m6i said:
http://newlondon.craigslist.org/boa/4901127934.html

No affiliation to this boat but would prolly be around 10 grand less than a new 1801.

Thanks for forwarding. At this point I can afford a new boat and I think that's what I want to do. We'll see how it works out.

Steve

If you can afford a new 1801, buy a used 21 SE instead for the same money. From someone who has had both, I guarantee you will be happier with it.

Call whitewater on Long Island if you want there are a few hanging out there I see on display. Not sure if your local though

Good Luck! Recently sold my 1801 to move up to a 2510. I have a lot of great memories with that boat...built like a tank and handled a lot of sloppy New England waters. Found the 115 4s was a great combination with a lot of get up and go!

had a new 1801... sold it and bought a 2120.. got tired of wet feet and slow hole shots. I'd go for a used 21SE. 1 foot wider and 3 feet longer and a 150 yammy.

Back