dealer territory

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RussPar

Reaction score
Here's my story . I'm shopping for a 2320 Sportcabin but the dealer nearest me doesn't have one in his inventory . However the next nearest dealer does , so my wife and I head down . All looks good so we go into the office with the salesman to talk numbers . He asks where we are from and then procedes to explain Parker's policy of dealers not selling to customers not in their territory .
He goes on to explain that he is able to sell us the boat due to his good relationship with the dealer nearest to us , but a gift of $1,000 will have to be made to said dealer . What ? Did I hear this right ?
So now I ask some questions . Where exactly is this $1,000 gift coming from ? The salesman says from his profit .Really? I doubt that but I keep mum .
Why is this gift necessary I ask . The salesman says it will insure that I have a good relationship with said dealer should I need to have any service or warranty work done there . This way I won't be put at the bottom of the list should I choose to go there . Oddly , now the amount of the gift is $500
Let me ask you this I say . Suppose I move to Florida within a year and I need warranty work done . Does this mean I can expect to be placed at the bottom of the list and get less than good service because I didn't buy the boat from that dealer ?
Of course not the salesman says .
I respond . Then why is a gift necessary to this dealer ? The salesman has no comment other than at least he has to do something nice for that dealer whose territory I am from. The gift has gone from $1000 to something nice .
Now I want to know. Where has the original $1,000 gift gone to ? Has it gone into thin air ? The salesman has no answer . I'm waiting for him to lower the sales price by $1,000 but nothing happens. My wife and I say we'll get back to you and leave
The boat is a leftover 2009 2320 Sportcabin , F225 w/ standard equipment no trailer asking $54,500

I'd love to hear your comments and advice on the dealer territory issue and the selling price

thats total bulls#!t. you can buy from whatever dealer you please, their "territory" shouldn't mean jack s#!t. i'd find another boat just based on the dealer trying to screw you. you can bet that wont be a one time thing if you have to deal with them again.

I bought my 2120 from a dealer that at the time was no more than 65miles from another Parker dealer. I bought it at a boat show that both dealers had boats and nothing was mentioned about 'territories'. I still trailer my boat to my dealer(25 miles) for service because they have been so great.

Very odd.

If your local dealer doesn't have the model you are looking for, and another close-by dealer does, why can't your local dealer just ask to transfer the boat you want to his lot, and sell it to you?

Car dealers transfer inventory by sale or trade all the time.
I can't imagine that boat dealers operate differently.

Hey Russ,
I agree with Capt. Kevin, tell your local dealer that you found one at the other dealership but you want to deal with him. I would think he could get it for you, especially since its a left over '09. If you arent in any big hurry see what the difference in a 2010 or maybe 2011 model ordered for you would be. The price you quoted doesnt sound like a super deal, but you dont say where you are, and for you area it may be. Good luck and you will love the 2320.

Roger

Why not go to your dealer by your house and ask them for a price on a new 2320 set up the way you want and see where they are on pricing? It might not be too far off and if you haggle a little they might be able to do better. Dealers typically arent like car dealers where they transfer units back and forth. On the other hand if you want to pay what the dealer is offering you now then take the deal. If not then walk.

Just sold my 2009 2520xl and found a 2300 dv in another state, new 2010 and the dealer told me he would have to pay Parker a fine or fee to transfer warranty to my state. I think I might jump ship to another boat brand. I like the Parker boats but I am the customer and I don't think I should have to wait for a boat to be built if there is a boat in stock at another dealer.

Just my 2 cents

I also called Parker direct and they forwarded my call to the Parker sales rep and he has not returned my call after a week and a half.

I called New Jerswy to get a price on a left over 2820. Same thing. He said he could not sell me the boat because I live in Maryland. I lost intrest quickly. If I was in business to sell boats, I would probably stock some boats that I could sell :roll:

You know , I think I,m done with Parker . I'm completely turned off by Parker's policy . Yes it's a nice boat , but its not the only one out there . This policy has lost Parker my business I'm also quite irritated with the dealer trying to scam another $1,000 from me . So irritated in fact , that I am writing a letter to Parker informing them of this particular dealers conduct .

Good for you Russ,hold your ground... But I hate that the Parker family is going to lose you.. They are fantastic boats, but I do understand the reason for your irr..........
Parker dealers are territorial.

Yep, i think we have all ben through this , THe boat industry is "SMALL" and they are even if corporate not in the frame of mind like the "BIG INDUSTRY".........

Call Robin or Linwood, at Parker tell them that you will make the purchase from the dealer of you choice and/or you will buy a different boat and that you reserve the right to buy where you please!!!!
I'm rather sure they wont let you walk!!!! then have them send you a fax or email in regard to the topic, or even better have them call the dealer , .......then

Go back to the dealer and make the offer that you think you will have accepted !!!!,

If they let you walk then you know its not worth it.....

Personally I hate my dealer, i think they are a bunch of jokers, the service is good but the rest are kinda of phony if you know what i mean ....I Will be buying a 34' Parker but it will not be from my dealer , TRUST ME!!!

Well duno about that, here in long island , NY there are 1.86 million in Suffolk county, 1.84 million in Nassau county, for a total of 3.7 million and yet we have 3 dealers, yet there are at least 10 Grady White dealers!!!, I would say that there are at least 10 Gradys if not more for every Parker, Where as I love my Parker I wish I had more choices....

Before I purchased my 2120 in 07 I had looked at an 06 leftover in Point Pleasant and another boat in Williamstown when I tried to offer the dealer a figure he told me about the dealer terrirtory. I had to buy my boat from my local dealer in Manahawkin. I thought it was BS then and still feel the same way now, I understand your fustration.

If any dealer sells Parker at a cut rate price, and anyone can buy from that dealer, everyone who owns a Parker will suffer a loss of value.

Parker is a first class boat, and a good value. You can always go out and get yourself a Bayliner if you want to go price shopping.

I think they're smart folks who won't cheapen their brand and I'm all for it.

jeffnick":3onr6gq2 said:
If any dealer sells Parker at a cut rate price, and anyone can buy from that dealer, everyone who owns a Parker will suffer a loss of value.

Parker is a first class boat, and a good value. You can always go out and get yourself a Bayliner if you want to go price shopping.

I think they're smart folks who won't cheapen their brand and I'm all for it.

i dont think anyone's trying to get a "deal" here. i think the issue is that the local dealer doesnt have the boat he wants, the non local dealer does, and he doesnt want (and shouldnt be required) to pay a "fee" to the dealer that didnt have what he wanted, for crying out loud! why reward one dealer for having what could well be an inadequate stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back