Deck paint

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, I love the Rustoleum Topside paint. Easy to use, looks nice, and the Oyster White is a great match for older Parkers. But ..... It really won't be a durable paint solution for the deck of your Parker. I used this paint inside my cabin with great results and lasted well. I had painted the walls and a bench seat I built. The paint worked great in the cabin and was still looking good when I sold the boat.

I also used the Sand Beige color on my decks. Man it looked good too but it didn't last 12 months of normal/heavy use. It just isn't made to take that beating. You really need a two part paint for something being abused as much as a deck is. But, if you are sure you want to use it at least add a hardner. Valspar sells a harder for enamel paints and you add 2 ounces of the hardener to a quart of paint. It works with the Rustoleum Topside paint but still won't offer the durability of a 2 part.

My 2 cents from experience using that paint.

Madgar.... YOU just answered why I do not recommend a single stage paint.

The prep is the same, no matter What you put on it.. and prep is a PITA.... So spend the money on QUALITY product. Because:
"Just good enough....is NOT Good Enough".

Edit: I will add... Ive used this product. Pettit | EZ-Poxy / Easypoxy

But Not on a boat, It was used on kitchen cabinets. :)

I thought I had this figured out. So any feedback on KiwiGrip? By the time I buy 4 qts of Rustoleum Topsides @$27 a gallon + Primer O could have bought a 4 liter kit of KiwiGrip.

I thought I had this figured out. So any feedback on KiwiGrip? By the time I buy 4 qts of Rustoleum Topsides @$27 a gallon + Primer O could have bought a 4 liter kit of KiwiGrip.
You probably are not going to want to hear this but, when I realized the rustoleum was not going to work for me I sanded it off and cleaned the deck (so I thought) and applied Kiwigrip. It also looked really amazing, and easy to put on, however it began to peel off (in sheets) after about 1 1/2 seasons. It is possible this happened because I didn't do a good job of cleaning the rustoleum and prepping deck so I don't want to bash Kiwigrip.

If I were in your situation I would probably try Interlux Perfection 2part (not Brightside which is 1 part). Its a quality paint and no where near as expensive as awlgrip. I would believe you would need more than 2 quarts and you can still use the rustoleum non skid additive which is cheap. In any case, thoroughly clean the deck and give a lite sanding.

If you use Perfection, Oyster White matches the older Parker color pretty well.

Side note, I did end up putting Kiwigrip on a skiff I built and it adhered pretty well, it had never been painted prior. The only other concern I have/had with Kiwigrip is that it is extremely hard to clean. You can google stories about cleaning Kiwigrip, it's tough and holds dirt but does have grip.

Back