Deep v vs modified with a twist

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bst24351

Reaction score
Morning guys I figured I would ask here since some of you guys may have direct experience with this question and since parker is one of the few manufacturers that make the same hulls in modified and deep v. Keep in mind for my purposes im only concerned with the center consoles

My question is on ride alone would a 23ft deep vee ride better, worse or the same as a 25ft modified v? And how would the fuel burn compare? Thanks!

Deep -V will run better into a head sea than a Mod-V. The Mod-V will be more stable on the drift or anchored. In theory the Mod-V will need less power to produce = performance results and in theory should get better MPG.

If resale value is of concern, IMO a Deep-V hull will sell faster and for more $$ then an equivalent Mod-V.

I know th
Deep -V will run better into a head sea than a Mod-V. The Mod-V will be more stable on the drift or anchored. In theory the Mod-V will need less power to produce = performance results and in theory should get better MPG.

If resale value is of concern, IMO a Deep-V hull will sell faster and for more $$ than an equivalent Mod-V.
I know this is a fact for boats of the same size are you saying you think this to be true even with the size and weight difference?

I ask this question because I’ve been on down east boats with an almost flat transom that would do 19kts through any sea condition especially a head sea. Following sea when most boats do better was sketchy at some points lol

I know th

I know this is a fact for boats of the same size are you saying you think this to be true even with the size and weight difference?

I ask this question because I’ve been on down east boats with an almost flat transom that would do 19kts through any sea condition especially a head sea. Following sea when most boats do better was sketchy at some points lol
I’ve owned a Parker 2520SL (Mod-V) for 18 seasons. I have never been on a the 2320 which I believe only comes in Deep-V so I am venturing a guess based on what I have read and heard about the 2320 over the years. In terms of the ride into a head sea, my guess would be that the 2320 would deliver a better ride then a 2520 Mod-V.

I love my boat and have spent 1000s of hours on it in the open ocean in all kinds of weather and she has kept me safe BUT running into a head sea is not the strong point of the 2520 Mod-V hull. Now with that being said, the boat can ABSOLUTELY do it and believe me speaking from lots of direct experience, do it safely but you’re gonna have to slow WAY down or the pounding will be devastating. I suspect the ride on the 2320 into a head sea will be far from perfect but at any given speed likely pound less then the Mod-V 2520 hull.

Last edited:
I know you are wanting information on the CC only but here is my experience. It really depends on what you are using it for and where you will be using it the most often. I had a 2320, which is the same hull as the 2300 DV CC. It was a really nice boat but it's strength wasn't necessarily the ride. It wasn't bad at all however I have been on smoother riding 23' boats (like the older SeaCrafts). I have also been on several 2520, both DV and MV boats. It's not an apples to apples comparison because the 25' Parkers have a 9.5' beam and their 23' boats have an 8.5' beam. Where I boat/fish, I would have preferred to have the MV because we do a lot of trolling, drifting and putting around. My 23' DV would definitely do fine but it did sway/rock back in forth quite a bit more than both the 25' DV or MV. In fact, for my type of fishing/boating the 25' MV was the most comfortable. I fish the Chesapeake Bay, Potomac River, and their tributaries. I never took my boats off shore (Ocean). Now the Chesapeake can get very snotty but it's different than the ocean. Most of the time the Bay would be swells, 2-4' waves spread apart (unless a storm or wind storm would come up). For me, the 9.5' beam on the MV hull was a better designed boat for my area of boating than the 25' DV, and much better than the 23' DV, at least how I used.

As for fuel burn, the parker 23' DV hull uses a lot of fuel. It's a heavy boat and moves a lot of water compared to a MV. I loved the 2320 but a better choice for me would have been the 25' MV. I would loved to own a 25SE one day but will probably (eventually) get a 23 SE. The Parker 25' boats are big boats and the 23' is just easier to handle when you keep your boat out of the water.

I guess we really would need to know where you are boating and how you predominantly use your boat to help anymore than what you've read so far.

Use my boats anywhere from back bay fishing to 30-40 miles off shore right now. Eventually when my dad stops fishing offshore I’ll be making canyon runs. Currently mostly drifting for flounder or spot locked for tog trigger sheepshead seabass and what ever else may bite my line. I try to get out at least once a week but if I can run down and fish after work I take advantage. The majority of my boats have been catamarans, all center consoles. I did run a 1801 parker for two years and loved that boat but fishing 10-17 miles away from port in December January February on a 18 ft boat got old fast.

The new boat has been fantastic, perfect lay out and never get wet. The reason I’m looking to make a move is cats are not great at trolling (I don’t do much) and I want more room. The boat is a little thirst 2mpg for a little boat I don’t think is great. Pic of my current boat next to a boat I thought I was going to replace it with but am not ha

Attachments

• IMG_0795.jpeg
    IMG_0795.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
Morning guys I figured I would ask here since some of you guys may have direct experience with this question and since parker is one of the few manufacturers that make the same hulls in modified and deep v. Keep in mind for my purposes im only concerned with the center consoles

My question is on ride alone would a 23ft deep vee ride better, worse or the same as a 25ft modified v? And how would the fuel burn compare? Thanks!
I have had a 23DVCC since 2010 fishing heavily in the Florida Keys. The boat is rock solid in all conditions, but definitely a little stern heavy. For 5 years I fished in a friend's 25ft modified deep vee walkaround mainly deep dropping. I loved the large open stern area. The boat was very stable on a drift but did not handle the sea as well as it tended to pound instead of squish in the same sea conditions so we just slowed down a little. I think the fuel burn were comparable.

I have a '19 2320. When I first stepped foot on it, I was surprised by the amount this huge (felt that way at the time) boat rocked as people move around and waves hit the hull. This is directly after a 22' low deadrise bay boat, 14 degrees I think. I am used to it now, but it is real.
Also this year, I removed the 12"*12" blades and installed 18"(wide) *12" blades on my tab system. Fantastic $300 ish upgrade. I can move the bow up and down at will without cramming the tabs all the way down and get 2.6mpg with a fishing load. Makes the boat feel much less stern heavy, and didn't have to do anything to the actuators.

Thread '2320 Trim tab upgrade' 2320 Trim tab upgrade

Last edited:
I own a 2017 2300 and it rides about as well as a 23 ft boat can. Once you get into stacked 2’s and 3’s you are slowing down. It rides better IMO than the 2501 which has the same transom deadrise of 21 degrees but the extra foot of beam make it more likely to pound in the same conditions.

Hello,

I had a 2520 modified and now own a 2320 deep vee.. the 2320 defiantly rides a lot better in a 1ft -3 ft chop here in the gulf.
waves are very close together and will pound you. 2520 sometimes sounded like a gunshot when you hit a wave bad. but at
at anchor fishing it was great and tons of room. we normally ride 60-80 miles per trip. 2520 was faster with a 2 stroke 250 yamaha,
45 gallons or so a day and 1-1.5 gallons of oil. the 2320 has a 4 stroke yamaha getting 1.8-2.1 mpg.
if i didn't trailer it 100 miles a trip, id have a 2520 deep vee
Hope this helps you.

Thanks for the reply’s guys looks like I have my answer even if it was the one I didn’t want. I was hoping to get a 25 modified and it handle the chop as good as a 23 deep vee but have the extra room while burning the same fuel. Guess you can’t have it all.

Back