DownRiggors....Need Ideas!!!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker Pedro

Reaction score
I want to throw some downriggors on my vessel....need some thoughts and ideas!!!
Here's what I'm working with....
Boat001.jpg

Boat010.jpg

Congratulations on the new rig! The gunwale runs along the top of the freeboard. It's where the rod holders are mounted flush. Back to the downrigger question; we have a 2310 and fish out of Santa Cruz for salmon with down riggers all the time. Right now we have the cannon mag 20's mounted on removable rod holder mounts from cannon. I like the fact that you can just unplug the electrical and pull the whole thing off the boat and switch fishing styles with nothing mounted to the gunwale to get in your way but... this year we snagged the bottom and a crab pot and almost lost the rigger on each occasion. When it snagged, it bent the rod holder so much that it had to be replaced and almost dumped the downrigger overboard. So this next season we might mount them on the gunwale. Best place would be right above the stern cleats, right in back of the chock that the stern line goes through. That way when you're turning, the downrigger wires don't run into the motor. Do some image searches to get a better idea and check out other rigs to see what they're running. If you fish salmon in Santa Cruz this coming season give a shout out to Steve "LoriKay2" and we'll put some fish in the boat! Have fun setting her up.

Thanks A LOT for the tips and info...it was really helpful!!
Ill shoot ya some pics when I finish it!!!
And I might take ya up on the salmon fishing, when does the season start?
Thanks again

Parker Pedro":2dihmd0f said:
Thanks A LOT for the tips and info...it was really helpful!!
Ill shoot ya some pics when I finish it!!!
And I might take ya up on the salmon fishing, when does the season start?
Thanks again
No prob! That's why we love this site so much. Found a good pick of a Scotty downrigger set up for the gunwale mount. And salmon normally starts sometime in April. F&G likes to mix it up but if it was anything like this year, you'll have a lot of fun.

Attachments

• 3744338_-1_20110930154459_8_0.jpg
    3744338_-1_20110930154459_8_0.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 645
Not a Parker but a very similar layout. I use the Cannon drop in rod holder mounts for my downriggers. I bought a extra set of the mounting plates and mounted them in the overhead of the cabin so I can store the downriggers up and out of the way while not in use.

Tawn

Attachments

• slick.JPG
    slick.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 609
I figured I'd share a photo of what I have on my 2004 Parker 2120.
~ Bill Smittles

Attachments

• parker2120downrigger.jpg
    parker2120downrigger.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 376
Go to http://www.Traxstech.com you can order custom mounting tracks that will hold every thing from grills, rod holder, riggers, you name it. Get the track then the downrigger swivel base that way you can side off the rigger, then you can slide in the plastic track inserts so you have a flat clean surface when your not using the riggers.
112.jpg

IMG_6175.jpg

I agree Traxstech fishing systems are the way to go! - you can add tracks and remove or relocate riggers, rod holders etc. in minutes.....
Here is my 2520xl outfitted for great lakes down rigger fishing....

this set up is the trolling bar with risers & riggers on risers as i prefer mine to be higher when working all personal preference!!!....."reelhookedup" has the tracks w riggers on risers....either way is a sweet setup and quality product!!!
Great setup reelhookedup!!!

Capt. Chris Yard
Irish Knots, LLC
http://www.IrishKnotsFishing.com

Attachments

• Copy of NF - IK 2011 096.jpg
    Copy of NF - IK 2011 096.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 394
  • Copy of miscs 5-22-11 008-2.jpg
    Copy of miscs 5-22-11 008-2.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 393
Back