Electrical question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapeCodFrank

Reaction score
My fresh water pump stopped working and I brought it home to tinker with. I had to cut the electric leads to the pump to get it out. Pump is now working and I need to re-install it. It looks the the prior electric connection was a butt connector, covered with heat shrink. It that the recommended way to make a marine electrical connection? I might like to connect it using a plug of some sort, to make removal easier next time. Is there an approved plug that I can use for this? Sorry if these questions are so basic, but although I have done wiring on land, I have not done it on a boat. Thanks.

The butt connectors with the heat shrink in my opinion is the best way to go to keep the connection as corrosive free as possible. you can even purchase the butt connectors that shrink and seal when heat is applied. If you want a plug connection you can install matching male and female crimp terminals, I like the bullet type for this type of application, you can pick up a small piece of shrink tube to install over the connection to keep it dry

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 160
It looks the the prior electric connection was a butt connector, covered with heat shrink. It that the recommended way to make a marine electrical connection?

Yes.....But I do them differently. The reason why is I have a buss bar I can go to to test for power to the load. I can remove the unit cut the wiring and install ends with a new one out in the open laying beside the old one and reinstall it easier .

Here's the Buss bar high on the transom.

TransomCavity004.jpg

Go here for explanation.: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12419&start=100

bilgewiring.jpg

Thanks for the replies. That buss bar setup is very nice. However, for the short term, I'll go with the butt connector with heat shrink. They have those connections at West Marine, so I am good to go. Thanks again.

I coat ends of any butt connector in the bilge with 3M 5200, then cover w/ adhesive-lined HS that is 3X to 4X longer than the butt connector.

I also never put buss bars horizontal. For best application and longevity in marine use, they should go vertical, to allow clean entry to each side, with a drip loop to each connector terminal.

Water can run down those lines on vertical bars. Not now, but in 10+ years or more you WILL have a problem with a connection or two, IMHO, not "if", but "when" ... and you don't get to pick the when ...

Back