engine question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pile

Reaction score
I have 2000 yammie ox66, that cuts out momentarily when taking a hard landing on rough days. Anybody have any thoughts on cause or possible remedies.
thanks
pile

'How soon' after the hard landing :?: ? If immediate, then I'd suspect the issue is within the motor. If it takes a bit to momentarily stall, then I'd suspect the fuel delivery system.

I have heard of carb floats sticking in the UP position that shuts-off the fuel flow, but this would still leave enough fuel in the bowl for more than a burst of high-speed operation. I could theorietically see where they could get 'jammed' or stuck if/when bounced on a hard landing.

If it is immediate, I almost wonder if it is more electrical, as nothing kills a motor faster than loss of spark, but if fuel, perhaps the fuel pump is sticking or stopping. Of which I've never heard this BTW.

If it takes a bit afterwards, then I'd pull the fuel pick-up from the tank and see if the end isn't clogged. Use 2 box wrneches @ 180-degrees to pull this off.

Dale,
Thanks for the reply, with what you said I am pretty sure this is an electrical issue. My next question is, can I continue to run the boat for the rest of the season or does it need immediate attention.
Thanks again for your help
pile

A friend of mine has the same motor and was having a similar problem. When coming off of a wave and taking a pounding the motor would die back and then eventualy regain full power. It turned out to be the tube that serves the speedometer had become unplugged and was spraying water under the cowling. When he took a hard bump the water was splashed into the carburetors and caused it to stall. He had signs of salt corrosion on the motor but could not figure out where it was coming from. He plugged the tube, sprayed the motor down with oil and has had no further problems. Hope this helps.

Kenny

If electrical, I'd pull apart ANY e-connection under the cowling and would clean them up, re-apply dielectric grease and then re-assemble. I have seen shorts in these connectors before, on all makes and HP motors, but perhaps it could be 'opening' on the shock of the landing.

You know ... if you have WING NUTS on your batteries ... do me, you, and Sea Tow a favor and THROW then AWAY. Replace with nylok fasteners AND put a stainless steel split-lock washer onto each post 1st, then put the main motor connections, and then an internal or external-toothed washer between any other lead placed to the battery post. Use a std split lock washer if/as needed, sometimes the toothed-ones are tough to find.

If indeed water into the carbs ... the loose hose would have to be behind or under the air silencer, or positioned that it dumped quite a bit of water in immediately. Still a good thing to check!

Pile: I have the same engine and the same thing happened to me. It was a clogged VST filter. I'd hit a wave and the boat would almost stall in movement.

Give the VST filter a try.

John

Back