Extra Fuel

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktomlinson

Reaction score
I'd like to carry an extra 30 gallons of fuel with me on the rare occasion. Anyone have any ideas on how to do this in a neat and safe way?

I used to carry a pair of 18 gal portable tanks on deck and pulled from them first on night time runs to the Gulf stream. When empty store out of the way somewhere. I had a cuddy cabin boat then and stored them in the cabin while fishing during the daytime.
Dave

Did you use a pump to transfer to your main tank?

Anyone think it would be too top heavy to mount a 30 gallon on the pilot house roof?

What's wrong with installing one in ur gunnel like u did with the fresh water tank and buying a transfer pump. Probably can install a deck fill too. I look into maybe a poly fuel tank?

kidfreediver":18nb38jt said:
What's wrong with installing one in ur gunnel like u did with the fresh water tank and buying a transfer pump. Probably can install a deck fill too. I look into maybe a poly fuel tank?

Dang that's a good idea, I will research that option! Thank you very much!

ktomlinson":1s7i0iig said:

Anyone think it would be too top heavy to mount a 30 gallon on the pilot house roof?

Do Not mount it on the roof. That is about 180lbs when full.

Do not transfer fuel at sea.

Set it up with a quick disconnect and a fuel valve.

Turn valve ON and suck out of that tank.....Then turn valve OFF and suck out of other tank/tanks

It's safe and quick.

I'm not going to mount it on the roof because of the weight being so high and stability, but didn't completely dismiss the idea because some people do mount life rafts up there.

I do like the idea of putting it in the gunnel like I did with the water tank, but was weary about gas vapor accumulating somewhere I didn't intend for it to and then blowing up when I transferred fuel. What's the advantage of a quick disconnect vs a permanent installation?

quick derail then back on topic!

ktomlinson: Got a thread link on this fresh water tank under the washboards? Sounds awesome!

As for the roof mounted tank I would say it's not so much a concern for weight- as I have a tower with controls. That + two grown men isn't tippy AT ALL. I just wouldn't want gasoline sloshin' around up there. I guess it would be no different than it sloshing around below decks but just don't like the thought of that for some reason...

I recently cut two large access hatches in the cabin sole. One aft, and one just forward the forward bulkhead. Either of these locations might make a fine location for an aux fuel tank or bladder w/ transfer?

Attachments

• IMG_1911.jpg
    IMG_1911.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 327
ktomlinson said:

A
I used a standard quick disconnect OB fuel line to run to a fuel manifold I built connecting to the main tank with valves to run off either or both main tanks tanks or portable tank. When portable tank was used up I just switched the valve to pull out of mains, disconnected the OB line and stored the empty portable in the cuddy cabin.
I made the manifold using standard bronze fuel fitting parts with hose barbs, valves, and OB fuel connector. This was mounted in the bilge with a screw on deck inspection hatch for access. Was on a Bertram 25 twin I/O.
Dave

It only takes a couple of tablespoons of gas in the wrong place to literally blow the deck off. I STRONGLY recommend that you don't modify your fuel system or start pumping gas around at sea unless you really really really know what you are doing. It's very important that ABYC standards be followed when modifying or installing gasoline stuff. (If you don't know what the ABYC standards are then by definition you don't know what you are doing.) Can I word it any stronger? :>)

Steve, the marine surveyor and accident investigator

I'm aware of some of the potential pitfalls of messing up with gasoline vapors, and I'm aware that just because I know of a few pitfalls that I may be unaware of just as many. That's why I'm asking what others are currently doing. I do appreciate any warnings though, it never hurts to be warned. I won't need the extra capacity for some time now, so I'm not just going to throw something together. There are aftermarket fuel cells and transfer devices, so at least those manufacturers are ok with the level of liability that exposes them to. Anyone have an experience with any of those?

I've always been curious about where I would carry a full fuel bladder. The website you linked to has them custom made to fit inside live wells, etc, just not below deck. Anyone have any thoughts on putting one in the transom storage? They recommend using a siphon to transfer to the main tank, although you can run directly from this tank if you set it up that way. If I can't transfer at sea safely, having a bladder full of fuel isn't an advantage. Is siphoning at sea also seen as an unneeded safety risk?

Back