F150 stalling problem

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kilowatts

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My outboard seems to run great except it will stall occasionally when accelerating from idle. Of course it happened to me twice pulling up to the floating dock which is hectic enough without trying to restart the motor during this maneuver especially on rough days. It doesn't have any problem restarting. I can get it to repeat the problem when testing on the trailer. So at idle if I throttle up quickly it will have a slight cough or will stall approximately 50% of the time.

I purchased this boat from commonwealth broker over in NC. This is a repo dealing so I didn't get a lot of history with the boat. I had a mechanic look at the motor and the only error code was the it was shut off in gear at less than 100 hours. It had 448 hours on it at time of purchase and now 478. Here's what I've done so far: removed 80 gallons of fuel and replaced with 91 octane and added redline injector cleaner( the old fuel burned fine in my wife's minivan :mrgreen: , replaced the fuel filter on the outboard and the water separator filter in the bilge. All of this seems to have improved the problem but not a 100%. One mechanic advise me to burn a tank of fuel and see if the problem will clear it self.

I have read a couple of threads on the VST filter and don't understand exactly where it is and if my F150 evens has one. I have order a manual for my outboard and look forward to its arrival.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Your F150 does have a VST filter. It is located in the VST chamber. Here is a picture of one I found. There is a lot of information on the Internet on how to replace them. If you are mechanically inclined you can do it yourself.

Steve

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 206
Luv2fish":pkepkh5x said:
Your F150 does have a VST filter. It is located in the VST chamber. Here is a picture of one I found. There is a lot of information on the Internet on how to replace them. If you are mechanically inclined you can do it yourself.

Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve! I will do a little more research and post my results. It will be at least a week before I get a chance to work on it.

Just curious as to what can be bad in the primer bulb. I recently encountered a problem with my 2007 F250 max'd out at 4200 RPM at full throttle. It was intermittent. After talking to one of our local Yamaha dealers, they suggested to check the fuel/water separating filter and the fuel filter. I've been using Costco 87 octane and that might be part of the problem. I was told that Costco gas has way too much ethanol and is no good for outboards. The dealer said that my problem is definitely related to fuel and not spark plugs and/or pistons. I would lose about 500 RPM for each lost cylinder. For my engine to lose over 1000 RPM, I would have at least two bad cylinders and that's not likely.

So I'm going to remove the water separating filter and check to see if there's water or sediments. Replace both filters and run with either Chevron or Shell gas. Hopefully, that will resolve the issue.

No, didn't know about the VST filter. Considering how invasive it is to get to the VST filter, I will leave that last to inspect if the problem is not in the water separating filter, fuel filter, or primer bulb. I normally can run up to 5300 RPM. Since it's now pegged at 4200 RPM, do you still think the VST is a possibility. I guess it all depends on how much of it is clogged up.

thanks

I would def change that filter. It can cause more prob. I was told every season or 2 to change it.

Back