F225XTRD Issues in AK

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOGHOUSE

Reaction score
Hoping to get some advice on what may be the issue with my engine.

OB: 2005 F225TXRD
Boat: 2005 - 2520XL Mod V

Scenario has happened twice this year.

Run the boat for approximately 30 min at cruising speed to local halibut spot.
Fished for approximately 1.5 hours with motor running and occasionally putting it in forward and reverse to position the boat over Hali hump.
After fishing and while running back to harbor, boat is at cruising speed the engine dies. No warning alarms.
The engine just died, no sputtering and never runs rough.

Immediately turn key to the off position.
When I try to restart the motor all I get is a alarm.....the engine does not try to kick over.

So now we are heading in on the kicker...........after approximately 1 hour ride I attempt to restart the the motor.
This time when I turn the key to start the engine the alarm sounds and the motor wants to turn over, but will not start.

Pulled the boat in prep for a mechanic to take a peek at........the following day approximately 24 hours after it died the motor starts.

When the motor is running it runs good never feels under powered or bogging down.

I am also running a HT 8 hp kicker off the same fuel tank and have not had any issues.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance

sam

Loose grounds? You also don't by chance have a ton of keys or weight hanging on the ignition key ring, do you? I have also heard of bad ignition switches causing this. I'd check all connections to the ignition switch and grounds at the battery first.

Also see the picture in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9824&p=68880

Thanks Dale,

The connections to my new 4/2014 battery's are set as your pic shows and all connections are tight. I only have a float and the engine key on my lanyard. And when this happens I have had someone try and start the engine while I messed with the ignition wires to see if there was a loose connection.

It seems odd how the engine completely shuts down and then over a 2 hr rest it wants to start but will not kick over and then if it rests overnight she fires up and runs with no issues.....until I run her for extended periods.

Is there a electrical component that could be overheating to cause the immediate shutdown and then it cools allowing the engine to start later?

DOGHOUSE":1hm3q3fn said:
The connections to my new 4/2014 battery's are set as your pic shows and all connections are tight.

Is there a electrical component that could be overheating to cause the immediate shutdown and then it cools allowing the engine to start later?
Are you the original owner? Perhaps the previous owner rigged their batteries with wing nuts and without the lock washer below the leads. This can lead to a loose connection and that can take down a stator, which creates the high voltage energy to power the plugs.

Take a look under the flywheel with an inspection mirror ... and hope you don't see goop dripping down out of the windings, which can indicate a fried stator situation.

DaleH":2q33jcwk said:
DOGHOUSE":2q33jcwk said:
The connections to my new 4/2014 battery's are set as your pic shows and all connections are tight.

Are you the original owner? Perhaps the previous owner rigged their batteries with wing nuts and without the lock washer below the leads. This can lead to a loose connection and that can take down a stator, which creates the high voltage energy to power the plugs.

Take a look under the flywheel with an inspection mirror ... and hope you don't see goop dripping down out of the windings, which can indicate a fried stator situation.

Yamahas have a belt driven alternator.

Thanks for all the feedback........I had the local Yamaha dealer run the diagnostics on the engine. The shop said most times if it is an engine issue it should show up....somthing about it being stored in memory? They did not find anything after running the test so they started looking at ignitions. We discovered the safety kill switch on the rear helm was rusting and falling apart. Removed the bad switch which they said probably was activating and shutting the motor down.

Test run on Saturday was successful, ran it on and off for about 4 hours while fishing and checking Crab pots and we never had an issue. I am hoping that it was as simple as that bad switch.

Thanks again

You also don't by chance have a ton of keys or weight hanging on the ignition key ring, do you? I have also heard of bad ignition switches causing this.

This is also true for your auto/truck. Women are the worst with all their decorations and Do-dads on their key chains.

Back