Fiberglass work

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ponr

Reaction score
Help..

I laid down CSM wetted it down then laid 1708 but got some air pockets that I couldn’t work out. Not sure what to do at the moment.

I’m new to fiberglass work and tried my best at it

thanks

Attachments

• 422D3086-366B-41B4-AB95-5F782146574C.jpeg
    422D3086-366B-41B4-AB95-5F782146574C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 47
Yep, grind that area out and lay out a new strip. Wet the area and glass tape before you place it and then roll it out. It takes time. It doesn’t look bad since you didn’t have a roller!

The good news is that you can always grind down the parts you don’t like and try again. After grinding any mistakes, make sure to hit the areas that didn’t get sander down with a scotch brite pad and water to give yourself good adhesion of the next layer. Epoxy resin leaves behind some sort of byproduct on the surface that fights the adhesion of the second layer.

I only have a handful of fiberglass projects under my belt but I learned that one thing to watch out for is that wood tends to continue absorbing resin as you wait for it to cure. I’ve had similar air pockets pop up after walking away thinking I was in good shape. As others said, you can grind that out and put another layer down. Just make sure to keep an eye on your work until it’s cured if you can. And the hardeners come in fast, slow and extra slow varieties. The slower stuff gives you more time to work so it’s great for beginners, but it also allows more time for the resin to soak into wood so you have to keep an eye on it longer to avoid air pockets.

Back