Fuel tank corrosion

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must be lucky (hope I didn't just hex myself) i have an 89 Sou'Wester 23' center console original tank. I've had the boat since 09' The horror stories of all the newer boats needing tanks keeps me thinking the installation and or materials in tank construction must have gone way off target.
Why don't you guys have a stainless steel tank built? it my be slightly heavier but for the value and long term investment it would be well worth it.
I'm in New Jersey, so non-ethanal fuel is not an option. been using Stabil every time I fuel up. also have 10 micron water separating filter.

I must be lucky (hope I didn't just hex myself) i have an 89 Sou'Wester 23' center console original tank. I've had the boat since 09' The horror stories of all the newer boats needing tanks keeps me thinking the installation and or materials in tank construction must have gone way off target.
Why don't you guys have a stainless steel tank built? it my be slightly heavier but for the value and long term investment it would be well worth it.
I'm in New Jersey, so non-ethanal fuel is not an option. been using Stabil every time I fuel up. also have 10 micron water separating filter.

My unscientific opinion says that 99% of Parker fuel tank failures (including my own) are the result of leaking pry out inspection ports. If you don’t have the ports or your fortunate enough that your inspection ports are not leaking, your current tank may live on for years.

I don’t think Parker fuel tank failure is inevitable if water isn’t constantly leaking on the tank but if water is leaking, it’s not a question of if but when.

I put on new Armstrong inspection ports this Spring and they STILL leaked. My current practice is sealing the Armstrongs ports with a $5 tube of bathroom silicone. Using the silicone, my inspection ports are currently not leaking, probably the first time since the boat was built in 2005. When I need to open them (never unless there is a problem) costs me $5 to reseal, I can live with that.

Reactions: A-K
A downside to replacing a fuel tank:

My boat = 2300T (but may apply to many others): In replacing my tank, the deck above the tank had to be cut out. (Deck was a solid piece deck from factory with a contour outlining the tank area). Once all tank work was completed, the deck piece was replaced and sealed with caulk. So now, unfortunately, I have a new (and rather large) area where leaks are possible over time. And since the deck piece was larger than the tank, it probably won't leak where I can see it through the deck pie plate. If it leaks, it will probably leak on the foam around the tank. Just another periodic inspection/maintenance point. :((

I put on new Armstrong inspection ports this Spring and they STILL leaked.

WHY? I've never had one leak. Is the deck surface uneven? Heavy Non skid? Hole cut incorrectly?

Your tank doesn’t leak from the inside a tank that sits in a cradle with no foam around it will probably last forever, when you add foam and your tank has moisture contact that can’t dry it creates corrosion
Moisture can come from condensation or deck leaking, easy way around it with a new tank paint it with cold tar epoxy it will out live you

Your tank doesn’t leak from the inside a tank that sits in a cradle with no foam around it will probably last forever, when you add foam and your tank has moisture contact that can’t dry it creates corrosion
Moisture can come from condensation or deck leaking, easy way around it with a new tank paint it with cold tar epoxy it will out live you
My 1976 Stamas 24 had a steel tank in the center of the deck between the driver seats. Take out 6-8 screws and the foam gasketed cover lifts out, there is the entire tank, hoses, everything, clamped down in a gel coated compartment. Tank was painted with red lead, was probably lead coated inside. I think they called that Terneplate. That tank is still good, nearly 50 years later.

Im replacing the deck in my 2100 DV from 10 inches in front of the console all the way back to the transom.
My tank isnt leaking and I think its original. Its in foam. The wood above the tank is in pretty good shape.
Ill soon be faced with the decision as to replace the tank that is almost 25 years old or leave it.
I havent researched the cost of a new tank.

As you can see in the second picture I have some stringer repair in my not so distant future.

Attachments

• 20210815_184628.jpg
    20210815_184628.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 63
  • 20210815_183035.jpg
    20210815_183035.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 63
What do you guys think about the "permanent fuel tanks" Moeller sells?
Its says they are cross-linked polythylene. Cost is $782 for an 90 gallon unit.

Same here, 1987 18cc in NJ

Same here, 1987 18cc in NJ
Regularly inspected deck plates. Tank 16 years old in a 2520. Very few hours in the last 16 years without a fan in the bilge while at the dock or in storage

Back