Fuel tank longevity

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Parker is 31 years old (1989) original tank. I guess they used better material back then. I have been through sending units replaced all my hoses. I use Stabil every time I add fuel. No water in filter/separator. From the inside of the tank it looks good. I'm sure all the wood in the deck and stringers is saturated with water. Its probably just a matter of time for the tank rot from the outside in. Center console. :D

I replaced the 174 gallon tank on my 99 2520 for less than 4K. The tank was approx 1200 fabricated by Luthers Welding in Bristol RI with 3/16" alum and the deck was done by Horatio Fiberglass in Bristol RI. Both were great to deal with and no nonsense.

That works to $7 gal.

We don't know how many years ago that was.....But they didn't make any money.

alum.....like copper is a commodity and thus varies in price of the raw materials every day.

The tank was replaced in 2013 so I am sure prices have gone up some.

99Parker2520":2b28dkew said:
The tank was replaced in 2013 so I am sure prices have gone up some.

That's still Super cheap.....They were $10 -$11 a gal then. And you upgraded to 3/16.....which is what I do over 60gal.

Reactions: Efx
Mpellet":1402lf1x said:
I am going to share my fuel tank story. It’s not a happy tale and gives me a $hitty feeling to tell but I am going to hoping maybe it helps another Parker Owner.

I filled up my fuel tank on my 2005 Parker 2520 XL prior to Winterization just like I have for the last 14 seasons. On 1 April (FOOLS) I pulled the cover to get my work started prior to launch. The plan was to install a new fancy VHF Radio and 2 new VHF antennas. As I am sitting in the wheelhouses deciding where to mount the radio , I smell gasoline. I open up the far aft hatch and there is a little fluid in the bilge, not unusual, perhaps 1/2 an inch. I sop it all up till as far as I can reach and see is dry. The fluid is a gasoline/water mix. Paper towels used to sop up the fluid smelled like gasoline but would not light on fire so I wasn’t panicking, thinking maybe it was just a small amount of gasoline that had seeped out of a hose fitting over the Winter.

The next day, HOPING for a dry bilge and fumes dissipating, I am crushed, more fluid in the bilge! This time the wet rags go up WOOSH! As in all gasoline. I sop up all the gasoline again. Next I remove both fill and vent hoses from the tank, no fuel coming out of either tank fitting. I check hoses, no leaks.

Thank you! It is this kind of post that is so very helpful to all Parker owners; to all boat owners for that matter... You being willing to tell it like it is and sharing the good and bad circumstances will help a lot of people! I'm sorry you had to go through that expense and trouble.

I go aft to the sending unit and remove 1 screw and gasoline squirts out the screw hole. I put the screw back in and wipe down the top of the tank carefully, no leaks around sending unit. I leave clean dry clean paper towels all around the area of the sending unit. Figuring I will leave them overnight and check to see if there is a slow leak around the sending unit.

I clean up all the gasoline in the bilge again.

Next morning the paper towels I left on the top of the tank, covering the sending unit are bone dry.

Look in the bilge, wet again pure gasoline :cry:

Boat is slightly elevated on trailer so cockpit will drain. I grab a wooden dowel, tape some paper towels to the end and stick it into the drain located in the V-berth floor. Pull the dowel out, paper towels soaking WET :cry: and yes it’s gasoline.

I dry out the bilge aft one more time, next morning it’s wet again with gasoline.

At this point I ASSume my tank HAS to have a hole in it.

CONVINCED that I have a fuel leak, I make the decision to have the tank pulled.

(Opportunity here for all the Monday Morning QBs to chime in to explain all of things they would have done before cutting the deck. YES you’re better then me, so lay it on if you like.)

I routinely fish 25 miles offshore, frequently alone other times with my son or life long friends. Water is sometime 40F never warmer then 70F.

I take my wife, kids and young Granddaughters out in this boat.

Again over the course of 4 days with nothing leaking from the top of the tank, I have raw gasoline in the bilge both aft and forward under the V-berth even with the boat slightly elevated.

At this point, I have lost confidence in the fuel tank and am not gonna put a friend or family member on the boat till this gasoline leak is resolved.

Gasoline gets pumped out, hole gets cut, tank gets pulled.

Tank looks VERY GOOD, no culprit, not even close.

However a Parker fuel tank sits in a “BOX” that is sealed, well mostly sealed. There was about 8 gallons of gasoline in the box.

My buddy is a professional fuel tank builder and was gonna build me my new tank. I ran the old one up to him for him to get dimensions for the new fuel cell. He looks at my tank and says this one looks good, why you replacing it?

We pressure test and after pumping up, yes some bubbles around the sending unit gasket.

Bbbbut do you remember a few paragraphs back I thought I confirmed that it wasn’t leaking? I removed a screw and gasoline shot of the screw hole, stopped leaking when I replaced the screw, so I ASSumed the sending unit wasn’t the problem.

Here is what happened, the fukcing sending unit gasket LEAKED, it leaked all Winter, about 8-10 gallons that all ended up in that Parker Fuel Tank Box and soaking into the foam. After leaking about 8-10 gallons there wasn’t enough fuel pressing hard enough against the gasket so it quit leaking. I bet if I had left the screw out a cup or so of gasoline would have leaked and then it would have stopped.

I still had 8 gallons of fuel in the BOX and that’s why the bilge kept slowly filling up with gasoline, it was the 8-10 gallons of fuel seeping out of that BOX.

The “problem” was as insignificant as a sending unit gasket that I could have fixed in 10 minutes after running the boat and burning up some fuel!

YES I am an idiot!

YES you would pressure tested the tank before cutting the deck and found the leak!

That still would not have stopped the 8-10 gallons of gasoline returning to the bilge day after day or given me peace of mind that my tank wasn’t leaking, as gasoline dripped into the bilge for however long it took for those 8 gallons trapped in the BOX to drip and evaporate till the box was eventually dry.

That BOX might keep the tank nice and cozy but it’s a rotten bastard as far as I am concerned for finding a fuel leak.

Fukc it I wasn’t gonna put a 15 year old fuel tank back in a deck that has to be cut to remove the fuel tank, so I had a new fuel tank fabricated. If anyone is looking for a tested 150 gallon Parker tank albeit 15 years old, I have one for sale.

Job is still not finished and I am pulling my hair out. Company offered a 1/2 pay leave May-August due to covid-19er and I took it figuring I could fish and now I don’t have a boat.

How’s that old Alanis Morissette song go again Isn’t It Ironic????

Hope someone can learn from my experience.

Note: Parker Boats was of absolutely ZERO help, called customer service and was not allowed to speak with anyone. I was given an Email Address, I sent a couple of Emails the first week of April, still no response. Local Parker Dealer was unable to look at the boat till after Memorial Day.

I build a lot of replacement tanks from 25 gal to 225gal and all type of boats. IF you have a tank needing replacing spend the extra $$ and have it primed with a self etching primer than painted with a heavy top coat of paint. IT will give extra protection if sea water does get to the tank. If the tank is over 75 gals I really try to talk the customer into going with 3/16 plate.

My tank building has really tapered off the last 2 years as a competitor is now building tanks for $6.00/gal including new sending unit and fittings. I am not going to work for free.

No I do not install them. I pressure test before delivery. Testing is done with the sending unit and all fittings installed. I am located in Panama City FL.

I building one in 2 weeks and will try to take some pics of the progress and the finished product. This one will be 110 gals but the boat owner is adamant he wants it built from 1/8" aluminum. I am charging him nearly the same as I would for a 3/16" construction.

I am going to share my fuel tank story. It’s not a happy tale and gives me a $hitty feeling to tell but I am going to hoping maybe it helps another Parker Owner.

I filled up my fuel tank on my 2005 Parker 2520 XL prior to Winterization just like I have for the last 14 seasons. On 1 April (FOOLS) I pulled the cover to get my work started prior to launch. The plan was to install a new fancy VHF Radio and 2 new VHF antennas. As I am sitting in the wheelhouses deciding where to mount the radio , I smell gasoline. I open up the far aft hatch and there is a little fluid in the bilge, not unusual, perhaps 1/2 an inch. I sop it all up till as far as I can reach and see is dry. The fluid is a gasoline/water mix. Paper towels used to sop up the fluid smelled like gasoline but would not light on fire so I wasn’t panicking, thinking maybe it was just a small amount of gasoline that had seeped out of a hose fitting over the Winter.

The next day, HOPING for a dry bilge and fumes dissipating, I am crushed, more fluid in the bilge! This time the wet rags go up WOOSH! As in all gasoline. I sop up all the gasoline again. Next I remove both fill and vent hoses from the tank, no fuel coming out of either tank fitting. I check hoses, no leaks.

I go aft to the sending unit and remove 1 screw and gasoline squirts out the screw hole. I put the screw back in and wipe down the top of the tank carefully, no leaks around sending unit. I leave clean dry clean paper towels all around the area of the sending unit. Figuring I will leave them overnight and check to see if there is a slow leak around the sending unit.

Next morning the paper towels I left on the top of the tank, covering the sending unit are bone dry.

Boat is slightly elevated on trailer so cockpit will drain. I grab a wooden dowel, tape some paper towels to the end and stick it into the drain located in the V-berth floor. Pull the dowel out, paper towels soaking WET :cry: and yes it’s gasoline.

I dry out the bilge aft one more time, next morning it’s wet again with gasoline.

(Opportunity here for all the Monday Morning QBs to chime in to explain all of things they would have done before cutting the deck. YES you’re better then me, so lay it on if you like.)

I routinely fish 25 miles offshore, frequently alone other times with my son or life long friends. Water is sometime 40F never warmer then 70F.

Again over the course of 4 days with nothing leaking from the top of the tank, I have raw gasoline in the bilge both aft and forward under the V-berth even with the boat slightly elevated.

At this point, I have lost confidence in the fuel tank and am not gonna put a friend or family member on the boat till this gasoline leak is resolved.

However a Parker fuel tank sits in a “BOX” that is sealed, well mostly sealed. There was about 8 gallons of gasoline in the box.

My buddy is a professional fuel tank builder and was gonna build me my new tank. I ran the old one up to him for him to get dimensions for the new fuel cell. He looks at my tank and says this one looks good, why you replacing it?

We pressure test and after pumping up, yes some bubbles around the sending unit gasket.

Bbbbut do you remember a few paragraphs back I thought I confirmed that it wasn’t leaking? I removed a screw and gasoline shot of the screw hole, stopped leaking when I replaced the screw, so I ASSumed the sending unit wasn’t the problem.

Here is what happened, the fukcing sending unit gasket LEAKED, it leaked all Winter, about 8-10 gallons that all ended up in that Parker Fuel Tank Box and soaking into the foam. After leaking about 8-10 gallons there wasn’t enough fuel pressing hard enough against the gasket so it quit leaking. I bet if I had left the screw out a cup or so of gasoline would have leaked and then it would have stopped.

I still had 8 gallons of fuel in the BOX and that’s why the bilge kept slowly filling up with gasoline, it was the 8-10 gallons of fuel seeping out of that BOX.

The “problem” was as insignificant as a sending unit gasket that I could have fixed in 10 minutes after running the boat and burning up some fuel!

YES I am an idiot!

YES you would pressure tested the tank before cutting the deck and found the leak!

That still would not have stopped the 8-10 gallons of gasoline returning to the bilge day after day or given me peace of mind that my tank wasn’t leaking, as gasoline dripped into the bilge for however long it took for those 8 gallons trapped in the BOX to drip and evaporate till the box was eventually dry.

That BOX might keep the tank nice and cozy but it’s a rotten bastard as far as I am concerned for finding a fuel leak.

Fukc it I wasn’t gonna put a 15 year old fuel tank back in a deck that has to be cut to remove the fuel tank, so I had a new fuel tank fabricated. If anyone is looking for a tested 150 gallon Parker tank albeit 15 years old, I have one for sale.

Job is still not finished and I am pulling my hair out. Company offered a 1/2 pay leave May-August due to covid-19er and I took it figuring I could fish and now I don’t have a boat.

Note: Parker Boats was of absolutely ZERO help, called customer service and was not allowed to speak with anyone. I was given an Email Address, I sent a couple of Emails the first week of April, still no response. Local Parker Dealer was unable to look at the boat till after Memorial Day.
Oh man. That Is not a good story. Sorry that really stinks. At least it’s only money/property. Keep your sense of humor! My favorite boating line - “some days you enjoy the show, some days you are the show.” Hang in there!

Different story with the same result here. The boat is a 2005 2120 SC. My tank was corroding on the inside. The corrosion resulted in a fine white powder that went right past the fuel filters and into my fuel vapor separator tank and clogged my hp fuel filter (Yamaha F200). After having the fuel filters all replaced and the vapor tank cleaned out and two clogged injectors replaced I decided to stop chasing my tail and have the tank pulled. While the old tank was not leaking and looked good on the outside, an inspection of the interior revealed corrosion and the the white build up that flaked off in limited areas around the top of the tank near the fittings.

Now I have seen this before on other aluminum surfaces. I particularly remember seeing it on my aluminum dinghy, especially in the areas of joints an the oarlocks. So I know this white corrosion occurs. But the fuel tank was corroding from the inside!

So why or how did this happen? My technician had a long talk with folks at Parker. I won’t repeat everything I was told by my technician here except the following. In the years after my boat was made, Parker came up with an “upgrade.” The fuel vent, which you probably know is located near the filler and installed in the freeboard of the hull is low enough that salt water can enter, especially when running in rough water. Parker created a cover that goes over the vent, protecting it on three sides but leaving the trailing side open. This allows overflow to escape while protecting the vent from seawater entering while under way.

I’m fortunate enough to be able to afford the tank replacement and not sweat the finances, but that doesn’t mean I like it. A $10 piece of plastic screwed to the hull would have prevented this problem for me.

I’m happy to message the name of my technician to anyone that is looking for help with a similar problem. He is located in Upper Cape Cod.

YES I am an idiot!

Mpellet, we know each other from a different website. I would not sweat your decision for a minute. How else would you get the gas out of the fuel tank pocket? How else would you remove the fuel-soaked flotation foam and replace it with new, functional flotation? How else would you get rid of the fuel smell? And once the old tank is out, why put it back in? I would have done the same thing you did even if I knew about the sending unit.

There are a number of things you can do to extend the life of your tank and your deck.

First and foremost is to deny entry of water below deck.
Maintain your deck plates by replacing the o-rings (they are cheap) and lubricate them well with something like snap and zipper lube.

Next, you need to ventilate.
If you store your boat over the winter under cover or shrink wrap, open all of the hatches and leave them open so the boat can breathe.

During the season, I used this method...
I bought extra hatch covers and solar powered vent fans and married the two.
When the boat was in the slip, the vent fans went in and the forward hatch in the pilothouse was opened.
The fans were set on exhaust and would draw air over the tanks keeping everything vented.

When I was ready to get underway, the vent fans would come out and be replaced by blank hatches.
After a day on the water and the boat was washed, I would reverse the process and pop the vent fans back in.

Check the Projects area and you will find what others have done to keep the under-deck dry.

Attachments

• DSCN0013.jpeg
    DSCN0013.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCN0005.jpeg
    DSCN0005.jpeg
    390.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0693.jpeg
    IMG_0693.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
Had fuel tank replaced on my 1987 Parker. Had new deck installed as well. Boat runs great now that I also put on a new outboard motor.

Venting when not in use or stored sounds like a great plan. While replacing the tank was costly I am so glad I did it.

Anyone needing this type of work done on the Eastern Shore of Maryland feel free to give me a shout.

As I begin my search for a used 21 CC I am reading about fuel tank replacements. How long do they usually last? If I buy a 20 year old boat should I be thinking tank replacement in a few years? Not sure if a surveyor could find the issue if it not yet exists. Worried for nothing? Thanks and stay safe...
I have a 2002 2510 with the single 126 gal tank; still doing well.

Back