Fuel tank replacement?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anyfishVA

Reaction score
I have a 1996 21DV that had soft spots under the fish boxes (both sides) and console. Rot under the fish boxes came from poorly sealed cutouts where the drains went through the floor and out the hull. Rot under the console originated from a seam between two pieces of plywood. I figured since the T-top, console, floor, seats, etc. were removed I would go ahead and replace the tank. Absolutely no issues with it up to this point but assumed it was past-due, being 25+ years old and all, and I didn't want to go through the motions again anytime soon.

Once removed the tank was found to be in surprisingly good shape, with no obvious signs of pitting or corrosion inside or out. Foam toward the transom and under the tank was soggy and there was about 1/2" of standing water in the compartment. Water clearly came from the cutout in the transom bulkhead for the fuel line/wires and is most likely fresh water from cleaning the bilge. Deck plates above the tank were well sealed. All other surrounding foam was bone dry (like the rest of the boat).

My question(s). Am I crazy to drop the tank back in the floor? The tank is well constructed, 0.125 thick, and the edges appear to be reinforced. My 85 year-old ex-machinist grandfather was impressed with the overall condition and build. If it goes back in it'll be cleaned, sanded, and painted or coated with coal tar epoxy. I'm also going to completely seal the tank compartment and pour new foam. I hear a lot of people say you're lucky to get 15-20 years out of a tank and then I hear some say they've got 40+ out of the theirs. Any words of wisdom?

Attachments

• 20220130_152048.jpg
    20220130_152048.jpg
    9.7 MB · Views: 41
  • 20220130_160130.jpg
    20220130_160130.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
I would replace it just for the peace of mind. I might skip it if Parkers had an access panel instead of a solid deck that has to be cut for access. You're already doing everything else that should make the boat ready for at least another twenty years. Even though the tank appears pretty good, do you feel confident you'd get twenty more years out of it? Or I guess you could modify the deck to have an access panel over the tank if you really wanted to re-use it and not have as much work to get back at it in the future.

It will also make a big difference if you go to sell the boat and can document a new tank and all the other work you're doing. If you do that work and skip the tank then I think some potential buyers would try to factor that into trying to get the price down.

Just my two cents..

If you do that work and skip the tank then I think some potential buyers would try to factor that into trying to get the price dow
I agree with that^^^ Although you may not have plans to sell soon, stuff happens and that's the one thing a prospective buyer will be leery about even if you think the tank is in good shape. Take the extra step, get it done. You will have peace of mind also.

Appreciate the responses and definitely agree in regard to re-sale value and peace of mind. I was hoping someone had successfully salvaged an old tank by coating and completely sealing it in place. I don't plan to sell in the foreseeable future but, at this point, what's another thousand or two!? I'll post a few pictures when the boat is back in one piece. Thanks again

What did you end up doing with the tank? My 94 21dvcc has a rotten deck from the bow to the front of the console. I’m anticipating needing a new tank until I know the condition.

Back