Fuel tank slow to fill

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captmccadie

Reaction score
Hey guys, when I fuel up, I have to be very very careful not to fill it too fast. I have a 2520 from 2000. It has a 200 gallon tank. If I want to put in 100 gallons, it takes me over an hour to do so. The breather is pouring air out like crazy, the fuel fill hose has no obstructions or kinks. I don't get it. If I fill it on "full speed" at the pump at a fuel dock it fills just fine for about 45 seconds then a geyser of gas sprays up about 6 feet in the air and covers me and the boat with gas. I have experienced this at many fuel docks, plus the fuel truck that delivers to the boat in my area stopped servicing me because it takes too long to fill me up.

Anyone experience this? Any known fixes for it?

Thanks,

Brian

It is possible the fuel fill hose or the vent hose has a kink/restriction at a bend or has delaminated on the inside thus causing a restriction. Does air blow out of your vent really hard when you fill it. You should be hearing this air easily coming out of the vent on the outside of the boat.

captmccadie":2sx61q9l said:
Brian

See: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2154

I would guess that your fuel line is a tad too long and has a 'dip' in it. Fuel pools in this area and even worse, if allegedly a 1-1/4" or so hose, it cuts off most of that diameter ... so it makes it like you're filling through a 1/2" hose. Plus fuel doesn't like to run uphill to finally get to the tank.

Dale may have hit the nail on the head....I am sure the hose is 1-1/2". Have you or anyone else changed out the Fuel Fill Cap or hose? I would inspect up under the gunwall where the hose connects and also open the hatch above the connections on the tank to check this. You can run a wire fish tape down the fuel fill opening and maybe figure this one out.

I had the same problem with mine when I got it. Mine was the vent was clogged with salt. I changed the vent and no more problems.

I have the same problem and I first replaced the fuel vent and that worked for a couple of times and then had the same problem again and what worked for me is in California they have a plastic/rubber covering on the fuel hose so the vapors do not escape so I just use the fuel cover that screws on to the opening so that vapors can escape and and I have no trouble putting in the gas.

I hope my explaining makes sense so give it a try and I bet it will work. Take care and happy fishing.

DaleH":171f2zg8 said:
captmccadie":171f2zg8 said:
Brian

See: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2154

I would guess that your fuel line is a tad too long and has a 'dip' in it. Fuel pools in this area and even worse, if allegedly a 1-1/4" or so hose, it cuts off most of that diameter ... so it makes it like you're filling through a 1/2" hose. Plus fuel doesn't like to run uphill to finally get to the tank.

Dale is –exactly- right. The fill hose is too long, resulting in a “P” trap condition where fuel pools in the hose below the top of the tank. I discovered this while replacing my fuel and vent lines last year. See the photos below. I have a 2000 2520, with a 125 Gallon tank, and in this configuration, the bottom of the pipe chase that carries the vent and fill hoses from their path down through the gunnel, below deck and over to the tank fitting is mounted lower than the top of the tank, resulting in a “half-pipe” condition.

halfpipe.jpg

Not only does this half-pipe make it a Bear of a job to thread the replacement hoses back in, but it also causes this “P-trap” if the fill hose is a wee bit too long. A too-long hose will also cause kinking and flattening of the diameter of the hose as it comes up over the top of the tank on its way to the fill port.

tightfit.jpg

My fill hose had failed due to age and stress kinks. I would strongly urge anyone with fill/vent hoses greater than 10 years old to consider replacing them. Also, be careful when you pick up the replacement hose. The hose has a manufacture date stamped on it, and some shops don’t sell a ton of this hose. I had someone try to sell me “new” hose that was already over 8 years old!.

badhose.jpg

kinks.jpg

With my new shorter hose, the fuel flows freely into the tank and I can now fill “full blast” from the Gas Pump without the gurgling and burping of the P trap.

Thanks for all the good insight guys.

I will try a few things and update the posting to help the next guy out.

Brian

I had fuel vapors in my CC of my 21se turned out to be the 90deg bend was falling apart and leaking fuel. My boat is a 2000, so I agree if its old change them out.

I had that issue a few years ago. It was a difficult-to-see clog in the vent. I updated to the new style vent. Solved !

Blockage in the vent was also my problem with super slow fill issues a few years back. Luckily it was crap that had built up right at the exit from the boat and thus very easy to fix.

Just want to drive home what was mentioned about inspecting this hose. If it degrades and vapors exit as mentioned, those vapors can become trapped in the hull below the deck. Then once that occurs all it takes is an ignition source, spark somewhere or heat source and the hull is one giant bomb. Seen this type of situation go bad when someone was cutting into the hull on a center console. Bad day.

Back