Garmin 4208

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albiejunkie

Reaction score
Hi all,
The 2520 I just purchased has this stand alone unit with gps, radar, and bottom machine. Playing around in my driveway I realized there was no cartography chip in it. The preloaded map kinda sucks. I'm confused as to how to remedy this. Garmins website is confusing at best for the older models. I fish from NY to Cape Cod and it looks like I can buy a chip for that area for about $250. They also offer a whole USA for about $120. Is the cheaper one the map that is already loaded in? Will the NY to Cape Cod give me greater detail?
Thanks all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Y ou can view the software version, the basemap version, any supplemental map information (if applicable), and the unit ID number. You may need this information to update the system software or to purchase additional map data information.
From the Home screen, select Configure > System > System information.

Page 3 of the owners manual

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Brent. Yes, I must have just the base maps. Unit software was updated 2 years ago. Not sure of the version. Batteries are out.

I just bought the g2 vision hd boston to norfolk from an ebay seller in Canada for $97! I hope its not too good to be true lol. Says its brand new. Money back guaranteed. Most others are selling for much more. We'll see...

Just some notes about a 4208...I run a 4212 [operates the same] and have a 6208 at top helm.

There are much better units out there. With that said It's a good unit.....But not one I'd seek out.

Here's the main difference. It's the processor speed! It's slow.
It also has to have a external GPS antenna. That's a thing of the past with the antenna's now built into the front face of the units.....You can't see them but they are Awesome.... Chartplotter flush mounted under Hardtop......Boat under Steel RV shelter.......Big Oak tree hanging over that......It will lock right in on 6 or more satellites.

What does that mean in the real world?

No antenna to run or mount

The faster processor's take the quirkness out of it when trying to get on a spot. What happens is the boat moves...But the processor isn't fast enough to stay caught up with the movement on the screen. So the unit is behind the actual spot your on....This presents a Quirky / Jerky movement of the boat icon on the screen.

Yes...I Like Garmin and If I was to make a equal size recommendation for you...It would be the Garmin 840XS.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-84 ... 9%3AGarmin

Yes It's a little older unit now....But is a superior unit to the 4208.

Unfortunately Chartplotters are going all touch screen. I do not like them myself...Others are OK with it.

A boat moves and bounces.....Try touching the screen in that scenario.

Yea easy do do at the dock...or your laptop at the kitchen table.....The boat is not moving.

True that Wart. I have touchscreen radar on my Mako, pita!
I'm not looking to replace this 4208 as of now, just make it as good as it can. Maybe in a couple of years when I've sold enough fish to afford an upgrade!

The problem is......that start looking at all the NEW electronic's......All touchscreen. :(

Good question..... If you stop looking at electronics for 2yrs....It can pass you by.

A lot depends on what size unit you want?

Just to follow up here.
I received the Norfolk to Cape Cod chip and installed it into my MFD.
What a difference! Very pleased now.
And for $96.00, well worth it.

Lets clarify......Photo's.......Do you mean pix's of land masses? Like a marina...detailed roads around the water.

Mine show it fine.....4212 & 6208

PKS1801":18adjlak said:
Was it a Garmin chip, or a copy? I have bought two "g2 vision" cards over the years on ebay, and have never been able to access photos on either.
Yes, Garmin chip.
Shows detailed aerial photos

Back