Garmin Fantom Radar Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gobbi_Fishing

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m in the market for a dome radar for my Parker 2120SC. I am running a Garmin MFD (943XSV) so I’m looking at the Garmin 18 Fantom units. I’ve noticed the older units (GMR Fantom) have gone down in price to about $1500-1600. But the newer units (Fantom X) cost approximately $500-600 more at about $2100. To my understanding the two most significant upgrades between the older and newer units is the 50 watts of power as compared to 40 watts for the older units. And the newer units also have a new power-save mode as well. So my question; is it worth the extra $500-600 for the newer units? Or are the older units good enough??? My main use for this will be to maneuver safely on foggy days or night time. I also go approx 20-30 miles offshore occasionally and the ability to locate birds or incoming weather would be a plus as well. Thanks in advance for the help.

I installed the Garmin 24 Fantom on my 2120. Very happy with it. I'll try to explain? I looked into the 18 but learned you get a better picture of buoy markers when returning to port. The larger dome, the more detail. The 18 Fantom may show two buoys as a single buoy when approaching. Using the 24 Fantom was very helpful recently when returning to port in fog so thick you couldn't make anything out until you were right up on it. The open array give the most detail, but are extremely expensive.

My thoughts when I decided on the 24 verses the 18. I thought how much is my well being worth? Should I spend more money than I'd like to spend on radar? My thinking I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it and need it.

Good Luck! Hope this helps some?

I installed the Garmin 24 Fantom on my 2120. Very happy with it. I'll try to explain? I looked into the 18 but learned you get a better picture of buoy markers when returning to port. The larger dome, the more detail. The 18 Fantom may show two buoys as a single buoy when approaching. Using the 24 Fantom was very helpful recently when returning to port in fog so thick you couldn't make anything out until you were right up on it. The open array give the most detail, but are extremely expensive.

My thoughts when I decided on the 24 verses the 18. I thought how much is my well being worth? Should I spend more money than I'd like to spend on radar? My thinking I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it and need it.

Silverstreek is in the right way of thinking here. Generally speaking, when it comes to electronics, buy the most up to date models you can get. They come at a price premium, but will remain relevant, supportable, and will work with other upcoming electronic equipment for the longest possible time before they're subject to planned obsolescence.

When it comes to radars, buy the largest type of unit that your budget and installation will support. Radar performance is directly tied to beamwidth and power, there's not really any way around that. While new radar technology has vastly improved the performance of the smaller domes, the fact remains that bigger will always be better, and a larger dome using the same technology will outperform its smaller counterpart. I myself violated this rule of mine on my electronics upgrade, and am now trying to figure out how I can upgrade my Halo 20+ to a 24 without taking a huge hit. Not that I'm displeased with the 20+ performance, but... bigger is always better.

Regarding the very real cost difference between units, a clever way that I've found to offset that if you're not in a hurry to buy is to leverage West Marine's reward points system. A few times a year, if you're a Gold Member, they offer a 5x Points event. This also applies to online purchases, as you're very unlikely to find anything above entry level electronics in their stores. While WM gouges on some items, the price for electronics is generally set by the manufacturer so there will be little difference between WM and other vendors, but you can earn pretty significant rewards points to the tune of a few hundred dollars on major items. For example, on a purchase of two MFDs, a Halo radar, and some miscellaneous items, I got enough rewards points to purchase a NAC-2 autopilot computer. I also took advantage of shipping them to a store (and thereby avoiding shipping costs) in a location with a significantly better sales tax structure on those items 😁 All in all, I basically got an AP setup for free, minus the pump which I already had.

SilverStreek, yes, I’ve pretty much made up my mind on the newer 24 Fantom X. I’ve also asked for advice on THT and the consensus is to go with the larger dome if possible for better returns.
Silverstreek is in the right way of thinking here. Generally speaking, when it comes to electronics, buy the most up to date models you can get. They come at a price premium, but will remain relevant, supportable, and will work with other upcoming electronic equipment for the longest possible time before they're subject to planned obsolescence.

When it comes to radars, buy the largest type of unit that your budget and installation will support. Radar performance is directly tied to beamwidth and power, there's not really any way around that. While new radar technology has vastly improved the performance of the smaller domes, the fact remains that bigger will always be better, and a larger dome using the same technology will outperform its smaller counterpart. I myself violated this rule of mine on my electronics upgrade, and am now trying to figure out how I can upgrade my Halo 20+ to a 24 without taking a huge hit. Not that I'm displeased with the 20+ performance, but... bigger is always better.

Regarding the very real cost difference between units, a clever way that I've found to offset that if you're not in a hurry to buy is to leverage West Marine's reward points system. A few times a year, if you're a Gold Member, they offer a 5x Points event. This also applies to online purchases, as you're very unlikely to find anything above entry level electronics in their stores. While WM gouges on some items, the price for electronics is generally set by the manufacturer so there will be little difference between WM and other vendors, but you can earn pretty significant rewards points to the tune of a few hundred dollars on major items. For example, on a purchase of two MFDs, a Halo radar, and some miscellaneous items, I got enough rewards points to purchase a NAC-2 autopilot computer. I also took advantage of shipping them to a store (and thereby avoiding shipping costs) in a location with a significantly better sales tax structure on those items 😁 All in all, I basically got an AP setup for free, minus the pump which I already had.
Pelagic2530, that sounds like a good idea and I am a Gold Rewards Member so we shall see. Thanks for the info.

Back