Garmin Radar 18xHD or 24xHD for 2520XL?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J876

Reaction score
I'm reading mixed opinions on another website regarding which radar is better suited for a 2520XL. Some people say the 18XHD is perfectly adequate and others say it's worth spending the extra $$ for the 24XHD if for no other reason because it's bigger and would look better on a 25+ foot boat? The 24XHD has a narrower beam width but will I see a difference and is this worth the extra money?

TimC2520":1k89ltxb said:
I have the 24xHD on my 2520. Can't comment on the 18xHD but very satisfied with the performance of the 24xHD. Apologies on the sideways pic.

Very nice. That's exactly the setup I'm looking at getting. Do you have issues with the spotlight creating a glare off the bow rail at night? Or interfering with the radar?

J876":y9jyuizh said:
TimC2520":y9jyuizh said:
I have the 24xHD on my 2520. Can't comment on the 18xHD but very satisfied with the performance of the 24xHD. Apologies on the sideways pic.

Very nice. That's exactly the setup I'm looking at getting. Do you have issues with the spotlight creating a glare off the bow rail at night? Or interfering with the radar?

Glare, yes. I bought the boat new in 1999 and the old spotlight was mounted there. I put the new LED light in the same spot simply because the wiring and holes were already there. To be honest with you, I don't really use it that much anymore since I added the radar. Even with the glare though, it is a useful tool to have at your disposal. Just another safety tool to add into the mix. If I see something on the radar I'm not comfortable with, I put the spotlight on it. There are zero issues with the light interfering with the radar. It's a 6" radar mount with a 4 degree down angle. I was concerned with this and did a ton of research before buying. The magnetron in the dome is about in the middle of the dome so it shoots over the light fixture. This time of year, we leave frequently in the dark and the 24xHD will pick up a single seagull sitting in the water. We were leaving the harbor two weeks ago and saw something on the radar that was not something we usually see in that area and when I put the spot light on it, it turned out to be a bird. The 24xHD is a very good radar.

TimC2520":18utjdbr said:
J876":18utjdbr said:
TimC2520":18utjdbr said:

Glare, yes. I bought the boat new in 1999 and the old spotlight was mounted there. I put the new LED light in the same spot simply because the wiring and holes were already there. To be honest with you, I don't really use it that much anymore since I added the radar. Even with the glare though, it is a useful tool to have at your disposal. Just another safety tool to add into the mix. If I see something on the radar I'm not comfortable with, I put the spotlight on it. There are zero issues with the light interfering with the radar. It's a 6" radar mount with a 4 degree down angle. I was concerned with this and did a ton of research before buying. The magnetron in the dome is about in the middle of the dome so it shoots over the light fixture. This time of year, we leave frequently in the dark and the 24xHD will pick up a single seagull sitting in the water. We were leaving the harbor two weeks ago and saw something on the radar that was not something we usually see in that area and when I put the spot light on it, it turned out to be a bird. The 24xHD is a very good radar.

Gotchya. Sounds like it's worth the extra few hundred $ for the 24xHD. A few people tried to convince me to get a Garmin Fantom instead but I'm not sold. Anyway thanks for the input.

Back