Gas in bilge Parker 21se 2007 model

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flukenewsty

Reaction score
We had about 2 inches of rain today and the water collected towards the bow of my 21se I noticed a gas smell and sheen on the driveway. What could have caused the gas in the bilge? Is there an area or opening or Vent that water could have gotten into and over flowed into the bilge?

Not sure how the 21SE grid system is configured, but I have seen the floor cut up on PH's and the fuel tank sits in a sealed "box". There is no way gas could get into the bilge unless holes were drilled into the floor where the tank sits. The bilge chase runs under this "box" the tank sits in. I can see how fuel could get into the bilge via the fuel tank fill or hose though. Have you checked on the condition of those and have you fueled up recently?

I thought he two was sealed as well. I'll check the filter, and whatever lines that I can access. I have not filled up I just got the boat and trailered it to my house for the first time after it sat in storage for the winter. I looked in the bilges several times before I moved the boat and there were no signs at all. I have to feel like the standing water got into the gas tank compartment and washed the gas down to the bilge area, there has to be a drain in the gas tank compartment because there is an access plate, water can get into that area and would have to be able to be drained. I'll report back with what I find, hopefully nothing serious I really don't want to remove a tank on a 2007 boat I just bought ugh

Don't pour water into your tank compartment box. Take a look at the sticky 21SE Rehab and you will see the layout of stringers and the tank. It doesn't take much gas to smell up a bilge or create a sheen. Pop off the inspection ports and check it out. I would jack up the bow and run some water through the anchor locker to run through the center of the bilge. This area is sealed to the sides and the water will flow under the tank box to the stern. Put a bucket under your drain plug and survey what comes out.

So i did a lot of snooping and investigating. The only thing I can think of is there was residual gas left in the bilge after a fuel water separator change before I bought the boat. The rain was sitting in the boat and made its way into the bilge area, mixed with the leftover gas. There are no other sources it could be from. I cleaned the bilge access area with soap and water soaked it all up dry and left it all day. Not a drop of gas or smell anywhere. I hope I am out of the dark with this. Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

So I had a nice long conversation with Eric from Parker. He was very helpful with the possible causes of the gas and I think we have it pinned down to something very easy. When washing the boat after the incident there was a considerable amount of frothy water on the deck, this is a sign of gas spilled on the deck when fueling the boat. With all the rain the water could be mixing with the gas spill and making its way into the bilge area. I will have the tank pressure tested this week to be sure. If the tank passes I will have the dealer check the other possible sources to have the peace of mind and hopefully be on the water in the next few weeks. Thanks again for all the insight!

Ok , lets presume there was fuel on the deck from filling the tank. How did the fuel/ water suspension get from the deck into the bilge? The deck should drain through scuppers and your bilge compartment access hatch should be water tight. IF that is what happened, you need to look at where water is getting into your bilge? this would drive me crazy... Im not convinced that is the answer to the fuel in the bilge.
Yes, pressure testing the tank is excellent after you have checked all your hoses: The fill and vent hoses and the distribution to the motor. Let us know what you find.

And good job getting Eric on the phone... not an easy task to speak to anyone at Parker Marine.

Eric and I did in fact get the Russians on the phone via skype and they are not fessing up to any tampering with my boats fuel management systems. I too am still a bit concerned they had a hand in this and expect a full in depth investigation over the winter lay up. I can not expend any more time pointing fingers, I need to catch some fish!

The way the water made it to the bilge is the boat had 2 inches or so of standing water on the deck for over 10 hours.The boat angle in the drive way was basically perfect to keep water in the boat The water covered all 3 deck hatches, 2 of which do lead to the bilge. over time A small amount made it in maybe a half gallon. The pressure test will expel several of the possible causes and will only leave the obvious, hose connections, fuel fill hose itself or a faulty leaky fuel water separator connection. fingers crossed!

I will have the tank pressure tested this week to be sure.

How much pressure are you going to put in it?

How will you seal the Fill.....Vent.... and suction line?

I ask these questions to make you think.......It's a difficult job to seal a tank up when it's in the boat.

On the subject of pressure.......You need a Very refined pressure gauge and you need a failsafe way to allow air in and be able to shut it off.

You only want 1.5PSI ........YES 1.5PSI to be put in that tank. More and you can blow it apart.

warthog5":387rz3h6 said:
I will have the tank pressure tested this week to be sure.

How much pressure are you going to put in it?

How will you seal the Fill.....Vent.... and suction line?

I ask these questions to make you think.......It's a difficult job to seal a tank up when it's in the boat.

On the subject of pressure.......You need a Very refined pressure gauge and you need a failsafe way to allow air in and be able to shut it off.

You only want 1.5PSI ........YES 1.5PSI to be put in that tank. More and you can blow it apart.

I was also wondering HOW this was going to be accomplished w/ the tank IN the boat.. I assume you are having a professional do this pressure test. As Wart stated, this task should be very well thought out before attempting to introduce any pressure into that tank. Post pics !!

I was going to jam an old pair of socks into the fuel fill line and blow into the tank with a computer keyboard duster. :mrgreen:
I have a professional yamaha tech doing the work. It was recommended 3-4# of pressure to the tank and should hold steady for 15 minutes or so. According to Eric it is a fairly simple task and can be done with fuel in the tank. I will be getting this done on Tuesday morning and will post the results.

There is no away fume smell at all, just musty gas tank area smell. I am almost certain it was a freak thing but I'm getting it tested just to be safe. I'll follow up tuesday with the results

Ok the test was done and the verdict is in. The tank holds consistant pressure and does not show any sign of a leak. The pick ups, vent, and all other lines are operational, sealed and in perfect condition. We also inspected the fuel fill line and vent. there were no signs of wear or damage. There are also no signs of fuel since the original incident. All we can come up with is fuel spilled. on the deck that was not properly cleaned up. I will of course keep my eye on everything and note any weirdness. Thanks again for all the rational help and suggestions! If I listened to THT crowd I'd have my deck already completely removed and a new Kevlar sealed carbon fiber reinforced tank designed to withstand trumps MOAB installed. Please note... I will in fact be watching the Russians and open a full investigation in December.

Back