Gelcoat work

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pescador4ever

Reaction score
Merry Christmas all,

I need some help. My dad and I were doing some gelcoat work on our 1801 for the first time and we are not sure if we made a big mistake or not. Our gelcoat is not drying and it has been setting for two days now. We didn't cover it with wax paper after we sprayed it on and from what I have read since we have done the job is that gelcoat doesn't cure when exposed to air. Does anybody know if we can cover it now that it has been setting and still have it dry or do we need to scrap it off and start over? Any assistance anybody can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Eric

Sounds like you used Gellcoat that was NOT Finish Gellcoat . Finish Gellcoat has wax in it. The other and what I suspect that you used does not have wax in it. It cures when air is taken away from it, like what is sprayed in a mold first and then glass laminated on top of it.

But do not fear....It's a easy / simple fix. Spray PVA over the gellcoat. The next day just was the surface with soap and water....All cured. :)

Yep. PVA in a Preval sprayer. Should cure.

If not just wipe off the sticky stuff with acetone and reapply.

We got the gelcoat straight from Parker, so I am not sure if it was waxed or not. I am also not sure if we were supposed to mix in a catalyst with it either or was it ready for use. We did use PVA on it and let that sit over night, but again, some spots were tacky and wet. Not sure what to do. We are heading down to the boat after eating with the family and might strip off what is tacky with acetone if it still has not hardened. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is good to go though. Thank you for your advice.

I am also not sure if we were supposed to mix in a catalyst with it either or was it ready for use.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! Yes....It has to have a catalyst mixed in. It will never cure if you didn't and at the proper ratio.

My advice.

Put the gel coat down and spend some time reading posts here on Classic Parker. After that post up your plans, the membership here will set you on the right track.

You're gonna have to strip it all off sorry to say. It's not paint......

Well,

Old gelcoat stripped off. MEKP purchased. MEKP mixed with 6oz of gelcoat. New gelcoat applied and just like magic things are good to go. I honestly had read up a lot and even watched numerous videos on doing small patch gelcoat work, but for some reason my dad and I forgot to add the hardener to the gelcoat prior to our first application. Lesson learned! Now we'll spray on the PVA and wet sand after that. This being my first time doing boat work has been an eye opener. Thank you all for giving me some pointers.

Eric

Now we'll spray on the PVA and wet sand after that.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.....Does the gellcoat have wax in it? If it does? You will need no PVA sprayed. And as to wet sanding it. WHY?

Sounds like you need to do some more reading.

If the gellcoat has wax in it. The wax floats to the top after the mixed gellcoat is applied and the gellcoat cure hard.

If the gellcoat does NOT have wax in it.....Then PVA is sprayed over the gellcoat to block air out and it cures hard.

After that........Just wash it with soap and water. DONE!

Back