Getting out of the hole

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwp48

Reaction score
I've had the opportunity to run our new-to-us 2520XL a half dozen times now. I've been trying different power, trim and tab settings, slowly learning the best speed for a comfortable ride in different conditions. My question is this...how do you start out. I've been starting with the motor trimmed down almost all the way, with no tabs. After I plane off I adjust the trim until the steering loosens up a bit. Finally, I adjust the tabs to push the nose down a bit and to level the boat from side to side. Of course, I need different tab settings if it's flat calm or choppy, going up-sea or down sea (bow steering is not fun!). I'm getting the hang of balancing power, trim and tab settings but am curious what you feel the proper startup procedure is.

Unless I need to be gentle for some reason and especially when it's only me in the boat, I quickly give it 3/4 throttle, let it quickly pop up on plane then throttle back to cruise. I keep the tabs all the way up unless it's rough when I give it some tab and plant the bow to cut through the waves more and smooth out the ride. If I had a big load In the stern I would use more tab.

My on-plane routine is pretty simple.
Motor trim neutral (a 3 on the Yamaha trim gage).
Throttle up to about 4000 rpm, and as she is gaining speed I add some tab to push the bow down.
Tabs on my boat are 24x9, so it doesn't take a lot of tab to get the proper effect.
Once the boat settles on-plane, I'll throttle back to my cruise speed which is typically 3800 to 4200 rpm depending on sea conditions.

When returning to my slip, I return my tabs to the full UP position which makes it a bit easier to back into my slip.

Megabyte":twhanyvj said:
My on-plane routine is pretty simple.
Motor trim neutral (a 3 on the Yamaha trim gage).
Throttle up to about 4000 rpm, and as she is gaining speed I add some tab to push the bow down.
Tabs on my boat are 24x9, so it doesn't take a lot of tab to get the proper effect.
Once the boat settles on-plane, I'll throttle back to my cruise speed which is typically 3800 to 4200 rpm depending on sea conditions.

When returning to my slip, I return my tabs to the full UP position which makes it a bit easier to back into my slip.

This is exactly what I do as well.

Engine trim level...... Tabs 3/4 down...... Hit the throttle and she comes right up and doesn't send the Bow to the sky.

These boats are Ass end heavy.

Back