GPS in electronics box

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenny

Reaction score
Will a GPS with internal antenna installed in an electronics box under a hard top pick up the satellite signal

thank you

Yes... But don't do it! E-Box's are for a VHF & entertainment radios.

Now.... Why Not do it? Because it is Literally a Pain in the Neck..... Looking Up all the time. You've been warned!

Will a GPS with internal antenna installed in an electronics box under a hard top pick up the satellite signal

thank you

It may… or it may not. It’s really tough to say.

My Simrads did not like being inside. The one in the dash won’t pick up any signal at all, and the one on top of the dash would get sporadic signal. I ended up installing an external N2K antenna. The good news is that it’s an easy addition if you’re not getting good signal.

In Pensacola,Fl. I have a metal RV shelter shaded by a LARGE Oak tree. This is what I work under most of the time on customer boats.

I've only ever had 1 boat that would not get a siginal on GPS under there. The boat was equipped with a Hummingbird MFD bail mounted on top of console. Move it out from under with clear sky and it picked up.

Typically I go to the Satellite page and look at the number of satellites the unit is picking up and the units accuracy. It's usually 8 or 9 ft. Which is Plenty close.

Back