Had smell in forward birth

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Greg

Reaction score
I took in gas for the first time and only filled half way. A week after using the boat for a short run, I went to get a fender out of the starboard under locker and there was a strong gas smell. I took everything out and ran a fan to clear the smell. I looked and saw a hose (fuel?) on the rear-end of the locker. I would get it if the fuel tank maybe way overfilled and theee was a smell but it wasn’t. Any suggestions on cause and how to fix? Attached pic is of rear of locker.

Attachments

• 79852D67-2FD9-4C9B-B171-9F7A6ED51AD3.jpeg
    79852D67-2FD9-4C9B-B171-9F7A6ED51AD3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
This is all the fuel I had at time of smell.

Attachments

• 8C54E1A3-D307-44E5-B929-B0D590A46FCC.jpeg
    8C54E1A3-D307-44E5-B929-B0D590A46FCC.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
what year boat? Check your fill, vent and supply hoses. If they are more than 15 years old it's likely they have some seepage.
If they have been replaced you may have to verify the installer did the work properly.
The tank sending unit gasket should also be inspected/replaced.
A tank inspection should also be done. Not just a visual (because you cant see everything) but a low ( 3psi ) pressure test.
Don't ignore fuel smells.

what year boat? Check your fill, vent and supply hoses. If they are more than 15 years old it's likely they have some seepage.
If they have been replaced you may have to verify the installer did the work properly.
The tank sending unit gasket should also be inspected/replaced.
A tank inspection should also be done. Not just a visual (because you cant see everything) but a low ( 3psi ) pressure test.
Don't ignore fuel smells.
I checked out what is exposed from access rings front and rear of deck when I inspected the boat prior to purchase and it was spic and span (surprisingly for a 2002 2520 xl sport cabin). Checked sending unit from hatch and the seal and lip was S&S also. I am going to change the fuel fill fitting to a no tool necessary type and will check out the condition of the hose at that time. Do u know if the beginning and end of the hose in my pic and the fill hose are accessible wo major disassembly? If so, I will def change them both wo looking at condition before going out again. I am laid up doing other work now anyways. I always have respect for any smell and especially fuel where it doesn’t belong. Typically the foul smell is my buddy who ate too many nachos. Lol

Latest posts

Back