Hauling my 2520 for the first time ...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chastafer

Reaction score
What’s up family

I recently inherited dads 1996 2520 Sport Cabin DV. With a 225XL Merc 2S O.B

It has been sitting on its trailer for a couple of years now and hasn’t moved (from what I know). The trailer seems to be in great condition visually , however I have never hauled anything that big / heavy.
I Live in Ocean city MD and the boat is in Pasadena MD , ~ 120miles.
State of MD requires a permit for Hauling anything wider than 8’6”. The Parker is 9’6” wide. I even called some marinas and they said they haul wider boats across the bay bridge all the time .
I guess what I am asking is . Should I go through the process of getting a permit to Haul my boat Or just tug her on down to the beach an don’t worry about it ? I love this boat . I want it to make the trip safe and sound. Thanks guys n gals🤙

Attachments

• 0CB65911-C82B-4140-B014-BDA8C515E771.jpeg
    0CB65911-C82B-4140-B014-BDA8C515E771.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
What’s up family

It has been sitting on its trailer for a couple of years now and hasn’t moved (from what I know). The trailer seems to be in great condition visually , however I have never hauled anything that big / heavy.
State of MD requires a permit for Hauling anything wider than 8’6”. The Parker is 9’6” wide. I even called some marinas and they said they haul wider boats across the bay bridge all the time .
I guess what I am asking is . Should I go through the process of getting a permit to Haul my boat Or just tug her on down to the beach an don’t worry about it ? I love this boat . I want it to make the trip safe and sound. Thanks guys n gals🤙
After two years, and considering a 120 mile trip, I'd recommend giving the trailer some serious attention; Tire pressure; spare tires; brakes checked to assure that they are working properly; Brake lights? Turn signals? Proper tie-downs? Properly rated towing vehicle? As for the permit, it's just my opinion, but I'd go the legal route and get the permit. I don't know what the fines would be in Maryland. If pulled by law-enforcement would it just be a ticket/small fine and send you on your way? (How much $$ is the permit? How much $$ is the fine?). Or would they 'abort' your trip? I know some folks who trailer 9.5'-10' beam boats a short distance, (2-3 miles) in states where 8.5' is the limit without a permit. I guess it's a numbers-game. 2-3 miles; 8-10 minutes; not likely to be a big issue. (Still illegal, but odds are less they will get caught)... 120 miles; 2.5-3 hours. The odds aren't as good ☺Do You Feel Lucky?

Find out what the permit costs. It's $100 for an annual permit in SC. The only draw backs are you can't tow on a permit on Sundays in SC and you have to stay on numbered roads (I95, SC278, SC46, etc...). If you have a wreck you may be found at fault if you don't have the permit because you shouldn't have been driving in the first place. It's a crap shoot.

What’s up family

Any of the newer 1/2 ton trucks with the towing package will pull it fine for you. However if the brakes on the trailer are not working I would find someone with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck to pull it for. Much bigger brakes and you will need them if you have no trailer brakes and have to stop from hwy speeds to a quick stop. Sudden changing red lights can be heck without good braking. Make sure the wheel bearings are greased and in good shape. If they had any water in the hubs when it was parked the bearings will not last to make a 120 mile trip. Unless your dad replaced the tires the last year he used I would really consider replacing the tires. If they were 2-3 years old and then for 2 years they are going have some dry rot and cracking. Make sure the lights are working, usually cleaning the ground wires and where they are grounded will correct most light issues, if not replacing the whole lighting system can be done for less than $100.00.

I can't comment on the permit issue. We have the same the same law here (FL.) but I pull my boat 55 mile one way 2-3 times a month and have never purchased the permit and have never been stopped. Not saying it will not happen the next trip but I figure I will be money ahead.

Thank you all so very much !

I will be traveling back to the boat this weekend to go over the trailer .I know the trailer has brakes, any advice on how to test the brakes with the Parker still on the trailer ? I suppose I could pull it out in the neighborhood and try it that way. Otherwise my other thought would be to jack up the trailer and hand spin the tires and hit the brakes on the truck while it’s all hooked up. I’ll be calling about permits today to see how much of a hassle it is to go through . Thanks again
-chas

I have done extensive boat towing over the years throughout the USA form the east coast to the west coast. All the advice above is good advice. Getting an oversized load/ wide load permit is not that difficult and can be done on line yourself or there are services that will do it for you for a fee. I do not have any names for you, but just do a search on the net. You will need a permit for each state you travel and usually daylight hours only. No one mentioned tire age. Trailer tires deteriorate from the inside and look great on the outside. Check the age of the tires. after the max of four years get rid of them if you are doing more than taking the boat a mile or so!! There is a DOT number on the side it will give you the week and the year manufactured. Have your bearings and seals checked and greased up.

Otherwise my other thought would be to jack up the trailer and hand spin the tires and hit the brakes on the truck while it’s all hooked up

It does not work like that.....The trailer has surge brakes....As you stop the truck....The trailer leans on the truck activating the pushrod for the master cylinder..Hense the name Surge brakes.....It's not like RV trailer brakes where they are electric.

Pull it out on the road......If you can....They may be Locked up? Go real slow and have someone drive the truck as you walk beside the trailer lestining......You'd be suprised at the sounds you can't hear in the truck...But you can beside the wheel.....Like bearings fixing to take a Crap.

Thank you all so very much !

I will be traveling back to the boat this weekend to go over the trailer .I know the trailer has brakes, any advice on how to test the brakes with the Parker still on the trailer ? I suppose I could pull it out in the neighborhood and try it that way. Otherwise my other thought would be to jack up the trailer and hand spin the tires and hit the brakes on the truck while it’s all hooked up. I’ll be calling about permits today to see how much of a hassle it is to go through . Thanks again
-chas

The worst thing you are going to run into with the brakes will be if the trailer was stopped where it is with the brakes activated. IF it was last used in saltwater there is a good chance they are going to be "frozen" with the brakes engaged. Not a good thing. You can test the brakes by jacking the trailer up and use a leverage to activate the emergency lever on the coupler. The brakes should be free and then engage with the lever being pulled forward. If they are frozen you can try spraying some penetrating oil on the caliber piston and use a big screw driver between the brake pad and rotor and try to pry it back in place. Bad news is if that is the case you most likely will not be able to free the stuck piston. Only thing to do then short of totally rebuilding brakes is to remove the brakes and pull it w/o brakes. That is when getting a buddy with a 3/4 or 1 ton truck would be a good idea. Like I said in my previous post check the age of the tires as well as the condition of the tires.

What’s up family

Personally if it's seaworthy. I'd drop it in the water at sandy point and meet someone in Cambridge or Crisfield with the trailer. That way you don't have to deal with that bridge. It's narrow and the east bound bridge is only 2 lanes. Talk about stressful. From Cambridge 50 is a straight shot with minimal lights.

What’s up family

Permits are the smart way to go but simpler is to take the trip by water if it is only 120 miles The trailer is street legal when empty. Bearings and tires are seriously important. You may be able to make the trip empty on the old rubber but I have loads of horror stories of losing trailers to tires. The dual axles are particularly hard on tires because they fight each other when you make a sharp turn. I had a serious Cluster F@#$ this season in the boat yard at low speed when the old tire gave up on my easy loader with torsion axles. They are a bear to replace when it digs a hole in the wrong spot Beware of Murphy

Not sure I would want my first run in a boat that has sat for a couple years to be a 120 mile run. That's just me.

I just towed my new to me boat from South Carolina to California with a rental F150. It had the trailer module with the anti-sway function which worked great when semis blew by me in Texas at 80+ mph 😅 I towed with no permits due to the hassle of getting permits in the 8 or so states I crossed through. Again, that's just me.

I read of a few Parker 2520 owners in CA that tow without a permit before my trip. One guy out here that has been towing for several years said the one time he got pulled over they did not ask about the permit. Not sure what it is like in MD for permits, maybe someone who tows regularly in the area can chime in on whether they have ever been asked for a permit.

Bring an infared gun if you have it and stop periodically to check the temp of the bearings. I don't think mine went over 130ish for reference and that was towing through Texas at 100 degrees +. Check your tires, if they are cracked, replace them as you are going to eventually need to anyways. Might as well do it before your trip. Make sure you have a spare.

Don't overthink it.

Not sure I would want my first run in a boat that has sat for a couple years to be a 120 mile run. That's just me.

I just towed my new to me boat from South Carolina to California with a rental F150. It had the trailer module with the anti-sway function which worked great when semis blew by me in Texas at 80+ mph 😅 I towed with no permits due to the hassle of getting permits in the 8 or so states I crossed through. Again, that's just me.

I read of a few Parker 2520 owners in CA that tow without a permit before my trip. One guy out here that has been towing for several years said the one time he got pulled over they did not ask about the permit. Not sure what it is like in MD for permits, maybe someone who tows regularly in the area can chime in on whether they have ever been asked for a permit.

Bring an infared gun if you have it and stop periodically to check the temp of the bearings. I don't think mine went over 130ish for reference and that was towing through Texas at 100 degrees +. Check your tires, if they are cracked, replace them as you are going to eventually need to anyways. Might as well do it before your trip. Make sure you have a spare.

Don't overthink it.
Maybe I'm missing something. The DRIVE on the road from point A to point B is 120 miles. I think the suggestion to travel part of it by water was to avoid going over the Bay Bridge across the Chesapeake. That's going to be less than a 10 mile run across the bay, and then haul out on the other side and continue by road. Probably not necessary, but if you're not familiar with hauling large trailers it may be worth it. Better would be to drive around with it a bit locally to get the feel. What are you towing it with? The size of the tow vehicle is going to make a big difference.

Either way you go, make sure you have some sort of trailering insurance with roadside assistance in case you do have some sort of failure. BoatUS is a good one for that. You might also want to consider insuring the boat itself, if God forbid you get into a wreck that totals the boat you may at least get some compensation for it.

Permit-wise I'd start here and do a little digging: Home!

Personally if it's seaworthy. I'd drop it in the water at sandy point and meet someone in Cambridge or Crisfield with the trailer. That way you don't have to deal with that bridge. It's narrow and the east bound bridge is only 2 lanes. Talk about stressful. From Cambridge 50 is a straight shot with minimal lights.
Dude that’s another good idea. Thank you !

I personally have a 2012 f150 V8 with a tow package (again inherited from dad.) it has a brake assist thingy . (Shows how much I know about that haha)

I have friends with bigger trucks. I also have a driver too, with a current CDL and 10years experience hauling 18wheelers

100% gonna get some insurance.
I can’t thank the community enough thank you all so so much . .

Permits are the smart way to go but simpler is to take the trip by water if it is only 120 miles The trailer is street legal when empty. Bearings and tires are seriously important. You may be able to make the trip empty on the old rubber but I have loads of horror stories of losing trailers to tires. The dual axles are particularly hard on tires because they fight each other when you make a sharp turn. I had a serious Cluster F@#$ this season in the boat yard at low speed when the old tire gave up on my easy loader with torsion axles. They are a bear to replace when it digs a hole in the wrong spot Beware of Murphy

Good ole Murphy’s law. Story of my life haha. I think it’s safe to say replacing the wheels and bearings is a must. That’ll be some piece of mind

I hauled my 2520 from Delaware to Cape Coral Florida last February. No permit. And no problem. Had plenty of cops pass me and not one even looked.

You got some great advice above. I have nothing to add to the subject. I’m just going to say sorry for your loss.

What’s up family

First off make sure you have the boat properly strapped to the trailer. Simply being connected at the bow eye is not suitable for any trailer, extra inadequate if it’s a ROLLER trailer.

I would at a minimum check tire pressure and squirt some grease in the bearing. Now here is a possible major PITA situation that you will not be able to address until you hook up and attempt to pull the trailer and that is locked or seized surge brake. I the trailer was backed into it’s resting place and not pulled forward a few feet to unlocked the surge brakes, there is a possibility one or more wheels could be locked up. It’s worse with an unloaded trailer, with the boat on it and if the trailer is parked on a hard surface, you stand a better chance of them rolling. Just make sure everything is rolling before you hit the road.

If you have a locked wheel, sometimes a short pull forward and then backing up a few times will break it free. If the trailer is parked in grass , you may have to get the trailer on a paved surface to break it free using the forward/ backward technique.

Back