Help connecting DSC?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Hall

Reaction score
First off, I had connected DSC on a prior boat 10+ years ago, but looks like a lot has changed.

I just picked up my 21 SE that has a Garmin 942xs, and the dealer installed a basic Standard Horizon GX1400. I am looking to connect for DSC, but looks like one is 0183 and other 2000. Are they really not compatible or is there an easy way to connect the two? Did the dealer screw me by selecting this radio? I think I found a $150 adapter, but at that point I'd just put a better radio in.

Any help connecting the two devices would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks

Double Hall":2xmiyau5 said:
First off, I had connected DSC on a prior boat 10+ years ago, but looks like a lot has changed.

I just picked up my 21 SE that has a Garmin 942xs, and the dealer installed a basic Standard Horizon GX1400. I am looking to connect for DSC, but looks like one is 0183 and other 2000. Are they really not compatible or is there an easy way to connect the two? Did the dealer screw me by selecting this radio? I think I found a $150 adapter, but at that point I'd just put a better radio in.

Any help connecting the two devices would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks

Man I am confused. Looks like DSC is built in? https://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS ... Archived=0
Easy DSC Installation!
The GX1400G makes DSC easy. With an internal 66 Channel GPS built into the front panel, there is no need to hassle with wiring the radio to a GPS for DSC. Out of the box and ready to go, DSC calling, position sharing, waypoint navigation, navigation to DSC distress calls can all be performed with just a few simple steps.

I registered my MMSI, but every 10 minutes I was getting prompted about not having a position, or no movement. Looking at the trouble shooting guide is says no location detected could be lose or disconnect cable. These details seem to contradict each other.

I would get the manuals for both units. The radio is 183 and in the Garmin , change the settings to 183.

Wire units . Manuals will tell you which wires
Enter the MMSI. If don’t have it, go to BoatUS and sign up
Configure Garmin to talk to radio
Turn on the Equipment and check it is working. My radio tells it is on when the unit is first turned on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brent":4w3fkm4a said:
I would get the manuals for both units. The radio is 183 and in the Garmin , change the settings to 183.

Wire units . Manuals will tell you which wires
Enter the MMSI. If don’t have it, go to BoatUS and sign up
Configure Garmin to talk to radio
Turn on the Equipment and check it is working. My radio tells it is on when the unit is first turned on

Mmsi is already setup, that was the easy part. I don't know what cable I need off the Garmin, I don't see a 2000 plug with wire ends. Do I need to build a backbone just to splice the 4 vhf wires in?

Back of Garmin and VHF

8de566e2199a6500e7f099aed16b2719.jpg
a445e89aced9034d4a7d94f1602abf35.jpg

Brent":1k0zgtf0 said:
The Garmin u it can be connected bu network or wires.
See http://static.garmin.com/pumac/GPSMAP_7 ... _EN-US.pdf

On wire colors and network.

Jeez.... Didn't even think the wires would be in the Garmin power plug cable. I'll have to head down to the marina and get under there again.

Downside to factory install is not getting to know your stuff from the get go.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Brent":i34ak9gt said:
I don’t see a network port on radio . You wire to Garmin
See SH radio section 8.5.1 thru 5

Then configure baud on it and Garmin.

Sorted. Looks like it is working. Thanks for talking common sense into me.

And free.
a0cc6339812bd244f3f77513c15841a4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

No they are not connected....

Do I need to build a backbone

Yes you do.

But if it was ME..... I'd pull that SH radio and move up to a GPS S/H radio.

Like the GX1400G

Back