help with furuno radar dome install

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gray duck

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2006 2520 DV and want to put a radar dome on it. It will (hopefully) plug into existing furuno 1734 unit chartplotter with c map. I have ordered a 4 kw 36nm dome - rebuilt bluestar unit. Any comments about them? It comes with same warranty as if new.
My main questions are about the install. bolts or screws for radar base? I see that the outriggers were put on with bolts thru the rug liner on each side but in the centerline the cabin roof is thicker. I generally always go with bolts and backing plates but I saw some of the hole saw cut outs that I think Dale posted and they looked pretty solid. There is one small access plate under the masthead light. Should I put another one in under the radar base?
Thanks.

I've always been a fan of through bolting anything when I can get away w/it.
MJ.

Gray,
There is alot to mounting your radar to consider. Sounds like you are thinking of mounting it over the pilot house and running the cable right down into the cabin. Thats a great idea dn I have seen some sweet install jobs done that way but please consider this idea. I have mine mounted on the overhang in the front with the wire running along the cabin to the back where it comes through and into the cabin. I was worried about leaks and slop leaking in. Just a thought. When I get down to the boat I will take a picture of it.

I too would NEVER use screws when I can thru-bolt an item. Even then, I'd prefer to sink a SS threaded fastener into a bed of epoxy and would prefer that too over a SS screw. When a screw is used on ANY object subject to load cycles (i.e., think of a seat base that is being torqued or a cleat that is pulled against) the 'teeth' on the screw continually CUT into and weaken the hole.

Goggle up Furuno Radar install,you might have to go back a few pages now,but you should be able to see mine.My buddy who runs the fishing website Im always on said he put it on the www.
I'd post it up here for you ,but I can NEVER figure out how to get the pictures smaller so this site will take em. Any questions on how to see mine just PM me.
Sorry ,but I'm computer challenged :oops: :lol:
MJ.

Yep,I just did a search,and there is was..right on top!
Just punch in furuno radar instalation.
Hope it helps.MJ.

definately through bolt. and as for mounting through the roof, i have the same unit as you in the same location you propose, and i have no problems whatsoever with water intrusion. however, if you do mount it like that, make sure that you wedge the radar so that on plane it is parallel with the water. i find mine overshooting some smaller targets. i dont know if youve considered it or not, but for that install a Scanstrut or other radar mounting post would be ideal.

pelagic2530":a7nv71ia said:
i dont know if youve considered it or not, but for that install a Scanstrut or other radar mounting post would be ideal.

+1 on that!

http://www.scanstrut.com/products/produ ... 0002&type=

product_range_469cd40575aa9.jpg

thanks for all the replies. Right now I'm thinking of ordering a 10" mount with light bar for my gps reciever and mount the tower over the hole where the gps is now. anybody know if the nuts will be visible inside the cabin or hidden inside the liner? thanks

Latest posts

Back