How to make hatch on large fish box watertight

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhendric

Reaction score
Guys, I have a 25 foot center console Parker. It has a large hatch in the forward deck with a very large fish box below. This hatch allows water to enter the fish box readily. Frankly I am concerned that if I taken few greenies over the bow it could fill up and sink me. How can I make this hatch watertight?

The hatch is approximately 2' x 3'.

It drains via a through hull which has an inboard 3/4 inch threaded plug.

I believe I have a similar fishbox and hatch on my 2520.
1107174-16-05%20new%20boat%200514454-med.jpg

I am working on sealing it now, and it’s a real pain. I have currently moved the hinges to the top instead of the side. I have installed two TACO latches to lock down when closed. I’m also trying to install a rubber seal around the inside of the hatch lid. I still can’t get it to seal. It looks like I am going to have to grind or build up the edge of the hatch to get a real close fit before anything will even come close to making a good seal. It’s been such a pain that I just stopped and took a couple of months off so I wouldn’t pull my hair out. I’m just getting ready to start on it again.

try as you might but even the double gasket hatches with latches and the lip and everything else still leak water. It shouldnt be allowing in that much water. and the drain isnt above the waterline?

West Marine sells weather stipping / hatch tape that will help seal. Apply it to the hatch.

Then get a rubber door mat that is bigger than the hatch opening. Lay it on the deck over the hatch. This will keep most of the water out without any modifications.

Yes, the picture above looks similar. It's hard to tell how big that hatch is but I think mine is bigger, it is really a pretty huge hatch..2' x 3'....and yes that's right it drains directly out of the bottom of the hull....if I were to leave that plug out it would fill with water. Same as the plug in the picture above...

O.K. here is an update on my hatch anyway. I can't call it watertight yet, but very close and I believe it will be.

I moved my hinges to the top or front side of the hatch instead of the starboard side. I purchased two TACO latches that lock down and pull the hatch tight. I tried to put a silicone rubber seal on the bottom of the hatch and I just couldn't get that to work. So just to see how well it would work I got some 3/16" foam weather strip and put it on the inside of the hatch opening. I was very pleased at the seal and I'm sure I can get this to work. I did have a little water leak in but I think that's leaking under and through the latches because I have not sealed them yet. I'm waiting until I'm sure everything works right to insulate the hatch lid. I could actually see that the underside of the latch was wet when I opened it and there is no way it could get wet unless it came through and under the latch

I need to fit it better on the hinge side as it is too tight and peals up the seal, but it does work. I think if I use a thinner silicone rubber seal, it will get the job done. I may have to sand or grind down the one side under the hinges I’ll have to wait and see. Anyway I’m almost done with my fishbox project and then I will post the whole job.

P.S. I’m not sure I would ever trust the seal to store dry goods because there is no lip to guarantee water can’t just run in. I mean for things like a generator or something that just can’t get wet.

Back