Hydraulic Steering and Trim Tab Issues

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jawbreaker

Reaction score
On my front helm, when I crank the wheel, it sometimes makes a clicking noise and the steering slips. The rear helm doesn't do this. I assume this means the front helm is low on fluid. Do I just get a funnel and pour some more fluid in, or is it not that simple? My Teleflex SeaStar Manual is silent on the clicking issue.

My trim tab zincs dissolved to nothing in less than a year, so I replaced them. The bracket and engine zincs are holding up a lot better. Do I need to do anything more?

Lastly, my trim tabs are totally covered in assorted sea life. The rest of the underwater portions of the hull and bracket are bottom painted and are fine. Can anyone recommend a bottom paint for the Lenco trim tabs and cylinders?

Thanks in advance.

Yes. That is the common sign for low fluid. Also, make sure you check for any leaks on the unit behind the wheel. Fill as specified. I bought a tube just forthe fluid that connects to the bottle allowing you to squeeze only what you need. Cheap at most marine stores.

Yep, happened to me and I freaked , but once I added fluid, problem gone !

This is what I use to fill my helm with fluid.

kmbot_lg.jpg

Add a piece of aquarium air line tubing to the spout and you're golden. :wink:

... from one of my previous posts ...

HYDRAULIC HELM FLUID LEVELS:
Per the Teleflex/Sea Star manual, if the helm is mounted horizontal (+/- 20 degrees) the fluid should be at the bottom of the threads in that fill port.

If mounted vertical (+/- 20 degrees) the fluid should be 1/2" below the bottom thread.

It is not uncommon to have to top off a helm unit every once in a while, but some units won't need it at all during the season. I find units left "hard over w/ the OB trimmed up" may weep a bit out of the steering arm seals, which might exit/drip overboard, so you may never notice it.

Try this - bring fluid up to proper level referred to above, then turn wheel hard over one way. With the fill port cap open, keep turning the wheel hard, then release the wheel, and repeat ... while watching the fluid level. If it "drops" when you apply turning force there is air in the system which you could bleed out. Repeat this test by turning the wheel hard over the other way. Tip- always turn the helm sloooowly when that vent cap is open :shock: !

Note: That said, here's what I do. As long as the OB turns when I move the wheel even a tiny little bit, like less than an inch or so, I don't worry if the fluid drops a touch when turned hard over. But do keep an eye on that level though.

HYDRAULIC STEERING FLUIDS:
You can use any MIL SPEC H-5606 C rated fluid in that helm.

Oil Manufacturer - Brand Name
SeaStar - SeaStar oil part number HA5430
Shell - Aero Shell Fluid #41
Esso - Univis N15 or J13
Texaco - HO15
Chevron - Aviation Hydraulic Fluid A
Mobil - Aero HFA
Petro Canada - Harmony HV115 (In Canada Only)

This link (click here) has the recommended hydraulic fluids that can be used in Seastar hydraulic helms:

You can also call 604-270-6899 for Technical Support on Seastar steering units, if needed.

TRIM TAB PAINTING:
Try a search on 'tab' and 'Pettit' as most of us who paint them, use the Pettit 3-part paint system.

Jawbreaker,

I have had numerous problems with the Lenco tabs on my 03 2520xl. I am on my 3rd pair!!! On the 1st pair (no zincs on tabs)the weld at the front of the tab seperated and created drag that caused the boat to tip suddenly and severely to port. Lenco said it was common for New Jeersey waters and I purchased a new set of blades. They lasted 1 season (1 zinc on tabs)and had pin sized holes clean through them. Lenco gave me a replacement set for free. Now on the third set I have 2 large zincs attached and I check them at least once a month. Last year I replaced them once during the season. You may have a stray current issue at your marina. If you plug into shore power you may also increase your problems. I would put 2 zincs on them and check them regularly. As far as painting them - you may create an issue due to the blades beings made of aluminum and the paint having dissimilar metal (bronze, etc).

Back